Page 273 of 437 FirstFirst ... 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 ... LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,825 of 10922

Thread: Doggie stoke

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0675.JPG 
Views:	55 
Size:	266.9 KB 
ID:	297800

Mid bike ride. The red is slowing down quite a bit but you can't tire the blue out. I think I'm gonna have to start taking him on some longer rides.

^Very handsome pair

ISBD, what he said. Treats and time... he'll change.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Floyd the 190 lbs mastiff evac'ed in a litter. I bet he was better behaved than most.

That’s a big dog to be toting out of the mountains.

Do you know the back story?

My brother raised Mastiffs. They aren’t very athletic when they get that big.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    get a new wife....
    Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    That’s a big dog to be toting out of the mountains.

Do you know the back story?

My brother raised Mastiffs. They aren’t very athletic when they get that big.
    No background, just saw the post this morning on their FB, apparently the dog got injured 2 miles from the trailhead and had to be carried out. There's a vid of the crew carrying his litter across a bridge, he looks extremely regal.
    190 lbs is ridiculously big and the dog isn't gigantic, it makes sense that athleticism would take a hit. I remember playing with a 175 lbs St Bernard when I was a kid and he wasn't moving too fast...

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Our new rescue dog is scared of my wife. It's not terrible. He'll take food from her and let her scratch his head briefly, but he is very and will often run away when she nears. My wife is taking it quite personally, which isn't helping, and seems to be working on a way to blame me.

Any advice? Thanks.
    Bacon on demand, but seriously, she needs to walk and feed the dog, so the dog comes to associate her with good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Our new rescue dog is scared of my wife. It's not terrible. He'll take food from her and let her scratch his head briefly, but he is very and will often run away when she nears. My wife is taking it quite personally, which isn't helping, and seems to be working on a way to blame me.

Any advice? Thanks.
    Our last rescue didn’t like men. She wouldn’t look me in the eye, avoided me, and refused to listen to me. Loved my wife, though.

Now, 14 years later, she’s my best buddy. My wife is jealous; “I rescued her, but she loves you?!”

Consistent, calm discipline was the key. I’d ask her to come; she would ignore me. I’d then go get her, bring her back, and make her sit; treat delivered. Repeat. Again.

Once she started to trust me, it all fell into place.

Dog training is partly about establishing pecking order and alpha status; they need a clear picture of who is in charge, and what the expectations are. If they are confused, they get scared. Some folks confuse this with being a domineering asshole; you’ve probably seen these types of dog owners. Calm, firm, affectionate direction is much more effective.

I’d have your wife do all the feeding/treating for awhile so doggo sees her as a friendly pack mate.

Doggie stoke

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    No background, just saw the post this morning on their FB, apparently the dog got injured 2 miles from the trailhead and had to be carried out. There's a vid of the crew carrying his litter across a bridge, he looks extremely regal.
    190 lbs is ridiculously big and the dog isn't gigantic, it makes sense that athleticism would take a hit. I remember playing with a 175 lbs St Bernard when I was a kid and he wasn't moving too fast...
    My dad has a St. Bernard that clocks in at around 175+. The dog is very friendly, but not particularly well trained, which makes it a little terrifying. One of the things that’s always struck me is how light the dog is on its feet.... like it could kick my ass just smacking me around with its paws, nevermind its massive jaws. It’s not fluid like a big cat, just very....easy.

Frickin Cujo....
    Last edited by Mustonen; 10-15-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    focus.

Worst part about very large dogs?

Very large dog turds.

The size provides better ability aim (baseball size) to pick up and throw at your friends

I have a small dog. Small turds assist with stealth. And they are single use size for door handles.

Funny to read this now. Neighbor always gets huge dogs and she has a new St Benard that comes by our house on the daily to visit with our dog. According to her, the worst part of getting a big dog puppy is everybody telling her how big the turds will be. As if she doesn't know.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Small turd size was one of the top criteria put forth by my wife when we were looking for a dog.

Fly poop is pretty small.

Jes sayin'

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

My dog is happy that Fall has arrived. She loves mountain biking, but I don't take her for longer rides if it's warm.

Name:	IMG_20191015_162338.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	298103

Nice and beautiful!

My dog does not go on rides with me. His hound nature is strong with a good combo of lab OCD and there is a lot of poison oak where I ride.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Nice and beautiful!

My dog does not go on rides with me. His hound nature is strong with a good combo of lab OCD and there is a lot of poison oak where I ride.
    Thanks!

My dog is pretty good on rides, but depends where we are. I either ride or jog up to a little trail system about half a mile from my house every day. There she is, eh, adequate. She knows the whole woods, knows where I'm going, etc.. So she likes to run up ahead and meet me when I'm climbing or go off and try to dig out some chipmunk.

When i take her to the larger trail systems I ride, she's generally really good, following right behind the rear wheel or the lead rider. She doesn't think she knows where we're going so them temptation to shortcut things or run over, chase a squirrel then pick my up when I double back isn't there. She is half Australian Cattle Dog, one quarter Catahoula, and one quarter greater mutt (though likely 1/8 beagle). Weirdly for her ancestry, she doesn't like the heat but loves the cold/snow.

The trail system from the picture is particularly great for riding with dogs as you rarely see anyone and it's almost all pretty low speed up and down tech. She can go all day at the speed I can ride most of the more challenging stuff.

Is there anything better than a beautiful, cool Fall day out on the bike/hike trail with a companion that is so full of joy?

I think not.

It's been a long week...pretty sure it was broken glass based on how clean and deep the cut was. Vet took the bandage off yesterday and his pad is healing pretty well. Stitches need to be in for 2 more weeks. Toes are a little raw, so keeping bandage off. No walks and certainly no running.

Problem now is he's going after it with the bandage off! He can bend the cone and get to his foot...ahhhhhh!

I put a sock on it this morning and sprayed bitter apple...now I'm just hoping he leaves it alone.

This whole thing is stressing me out!

Damn, the eyes say it all.
    I hope the pupper heals up quick.

FWIW - I've seen people use one of those inflatable collars along with the cone to further limit articulation.
    YMMV.

That's a good idea. I'll give it a shot. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    It's been a long week...pretty sure it was broken glass based on how clean and deep the cut was. Vet took the bandage off yesterday and his pad is healing pretty well. Stitches need to be in for 2 more weeks. Toes are a little raw, so keeping bandage off. No walks and certainly no running.

Problem now is he's going after it with the bandage off! He can bend the cone and get to his foot...ahhhhhh!

I put a sock on it this morning and sprayed bitter apple...now I'm just hoping he leaves it alone.

This whole thing is stressing me out!
    Good luck with your boy. My dog started out with a doughnut, but was able to reach his stitches and tore them out (middle of the night on a weekend). New stitches and a cone. Mr Bashy McBulldozer gets the stitches out today, and no cone if he leaves the wound alone. I won't miss the tipped over chairs and stools, or having my legs crashed into. Plus he will be able to use the dog door again.

Stoked

Name:	IMG_7677.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	298595

Name:	0275EBC6-9BAD-4E98-8B0A-8635BAEAE862.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	298601

Not stoked