Page 407 of 437 FirstFirst ... 402 403 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 ... LastLast
Results 10,151 to 10,175 of 10923

Thread: Doggie stoke

We have a PetSafe telescopic ramp (don't remember which size). It's really sturdy aluminum, and has grip tape on the whole run.

Same problem though. Only one dog will use it. The other starts to panic at the very sight of the thing.

Sometimes the old guy needs a hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^ Give him all the help he needs. Moira has graduated to off-leash in carefully controlled situations, and has her eyes on the prize:

Name:  eyesonthe ball.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  242.2 KB
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

We ended up getting some folding steps and so far she’s reluctant but used them to get in the car. So I’ll call that a win. Thanks for the recs.

Happy pup.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1334.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	228.3 KB 
ID:	460091

I just realized my old boy is almost 11. A couple years ago I figured out he was going on 9 and just never ran any updates.

What made me think of it was a suspicion that he was losing his hearing. That or he is choosing to ignore us more and more frequently. Jury is out. Still spry and does his best tigger impression every morning and runs full tilt circles around the yard.

Name:	Image1685203181.336525.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	278.5 KB 
ID:	460117
    focus.

Old dude on the right is 15. He might have lost a bit of hearing, but it's also that he's decided that homie don't play tricks anymore.

Name:	cmwoods.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	460120

Case in point, he has a small piece of bark in his mouth that he doesn't want to give up, and when asked to drop it, he intentionally will not make eye contact. If I had reached into my pocket and said, "do you want a treat?" it'd be a complete 180.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Old dude on the right is 15. He might have lost a bit of hearing, but it's also that he's decided that homie don't play tricks anymore.

Name:	cmwoods.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	569.3 KB 
ID:	460120

Case in point, he has a small piece of bark in his mouth that he doesn't want to give up, and when asked to drop it, he intentionally will not make eye contact. If I had reached into my pocket and said, "do you want a treat?" it'd be a complete 180.
    When Milo the wonder dog is being obstinate I break out "smell my feet.". He falls for it every time. He doesn't get a treat, but I do offer him the chance to smell my toes.

Love all the old pups in here today

Funny how dogs do this while packing the car.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1685240980.422072.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.35 MB 
ID:	460164
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I see what you’re doing - don’t leave me

Visiting my mother-in-law, (which my dog hates since her husband is a real a-hole), Jessie will literally glue her self to my wife’s leg the whole time she’s there.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Visiting my mother-in-law, (which my dog hates since her husband is a real a-hole), Jessie will literally glue her self to my wife’s leg the whole time she’s there.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Not an imitation a-hole? Definitely a real one?

Rich Corithian A-Hole

Further to my post above, different day, different result in the off-leash journey. Moira has super-high prey drive, which adds a big variable to the equation. Tonight on our local dog walk, despite scanning the area for deer on the approach, one apparently appeared on the way back when we were playing "fetch the ball" off-leash. She dropped the ball and was gone like a shot, despite my calling. I trekked after her, calling and clapping, then went back to the house for better footwear than Crocs, plus a bug jacket and the squeeker. An hour later, with me deep in the bush on an ATV trail, she found me, which was great. Returned dawg to the house soaking wet and muddy, and been barfing up pond scum for the last three hours. Good times. The squeeker is key.
    Last edited by Mr. Multiglisse; 05-28-2023 at 08:19 PM.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Hahaha. Oh no.

Maybe think about a long lead for fetch. You can get ones that are really long. Let’s them run but not too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Hahaha. Oh no.

Maybe think about a long lead for fetch. You can get ones that are really long. Let’s them run but not too far.
    We have done that and thought she had graduated from the long leash. She's pretty good unless there is a deer involved. Need to be more vigilant.

Shock collar man. It might seem cruel but with some good training they are the ticket. It allows you to give instant feedback to the dog when they are screwing up. I wouldn't describe my dog as having a high prey drive for large critters but she hasn't met a cat or squirrel that couldn't use some killing. After training with the shock collar it's almost alarming how little of a shit she gives about deer.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Shock collar man. It might seem cruel but with some good training they are the ticket. It allows you to give instant feedback to the dog when they are screwing up. I wouldn't describe my dog as having a high prey drive for large critters but she hasn't met a cat or squirrel that couldn't use some killing. After training with the shock collar it's almost alarming how little of a shit she gives about deer.
    We have have several recommendations for this and will be looking into the collar. Any recommended brand/model that won't break the bank and does not need a cell signal?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    We have have several recommendations for this and will be looking into the collar. Any recommended brand/model that won't break the bank and does not need a cell signal?
    We had one from SportDog that was in the neighborhood of 125 bucks. I can't recall what model or what the range was.

We have this for my dog:
    https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/618510

It's not a shock collar and it's quite expensive, but it requires no cell signal and will track your dog up to 10 miles (however valleys/hills will affect this)
    I think there's a cheaper version that isn't legal in Canada (due to the signal being sent)

It doesn't stop him from chasing things, but it gives me peace of mind that I'll be able to find him if he does take off.

Doggie stoke

I have a Sportdog Yard Trainer 300 for quick walks and a Dogtra Pathfinder for hikes in the woods. The Sportdog has a 300 yard range and works fine if I can see him. The Dogtra is GPS, no cell service needed, and I can use my phone to see him on the map, distance from me, where he is headed etc. It also tracks the hike and tells me total distance, speed, vertical, where he pointed, etc. You can also set up a geofence around your house and it will beep him and alert me when he gets close to the edge. This is handy when I let him out unsupervised because he is a roamer.

His distance ratio to mine is almost always 3 to 1. For example I hiked 4 miles yesterday and he went 12.

I rarely have to shock him anymore. Even in prey drive situations a quick beep turns him right around to come to me. I didn’t love the idea of shocking him initially, even at a low power shock he would yelp, but a dog that chases livestock and wildlife can be a death sentence in rural Idaho.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    a dog that chases livestock and wildlife can be a death sentence in rural Idaho.
    This is a very good point. I am very lucky and although my dog has taken off for hours at a time (not since we got the GPS collar) it's unlikely that he's going to get into a situation that's dangerous for him.

ZuZu in her element - in or on the water
    She’s a 6 yr old rescue from the local humane society this past December. She’s definitely easing the sting of putting down our 13 yr old lab a little over a year ago….

Working through a few behavioral things with her. But otherwise she’s fit right in and is always up for adventure… My boys are happy again after losing their yellow best friend and adding this black one….

Name:	Image1685390249.415202.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	460245

Name:	Image1685390322.419900.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	460246

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Doggie stoke

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    We have this for my dog:
    https://www.garmin.com/en-CA/p/618510

It's not a shock collar and it's quite expensive, but it requires no cell signal and will track your dog up to 10 miles (however valleys/hills will affect this)
    I think there's a cheaper version that isn't legal in Canada (due to the signal being sent)

It doesn't stop him from chasing things, but it gives me peace of mind that I'll be able to find him if he does take off.
    It’s illegal to let a dog run game, the exception is bird hunting, most places it’s illegal to have them off leash unless they’re under strict voice control. You might want to reconsider your options. Training or a leash is required.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

ZuZu's a great looking dog