Page 409 of 437 FirstFirst ... 404 405 406 407 408 409 410 411 412 413 414 ... LastLast
Results 10,201 to 10,225 of 10923

Thread: Doggie stoke

Sorry to hear about shitface. A tough call to make.

We waited too long on one of our family cats a few years ago. That was rough. But it’d still been rough if we euthanized her at home.

We were eventually unsuccessful in crate training our large-ish dog. We did all the things, including at home consultation with a highly recommended dog trainer. Over time, he became less and less happy with his crate. As a young pup, it was kind of successful with the crate. We had it in our room. We covered it with towels or sheets, which he eventually pulled through the crate and ate/tore/ruined. He outgrew his puppy crate, so we upgraded to the largest one we could find but it wouldn’t fit in our room, so we moved him/it out into our living room for sleeping. He was content for a while, maybe nearly a year. Unclear why, but he eventually became unhappy with it and used his body weight to occasionally bust out of the crate via the walls. We ziptied the walls together, which worked for a month or two, with many nights where he’d slam his body against the walls until he got too tired and fell asleep. Those were fun relatively sleepless night ms for us. One night, he bent a wall of his kennel beyond recognition and could easily get out of the kennel through his new door. I was too tired to deal that night and he slept next to his kennel. At that point, we threw in the towel. He now happily sleeps on the floor of our living room. We have to puppy proof a lot each night, which is sometimes tricky with teenagers. He also eats homework, which is hilarious to me, but frustrating for the kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    So funny, as soon as I posted the last post he went in the living room crate on his own and took a 20 minute nap. We have two identical crates. One in the bedroom 4 feet from my side of the bed and one in the living room.
    Also, our crate was never in our bedroom. Proximity might be an issue for nighttime sleep near you and make it harder not easier. We always only had one crate and kept it in the kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Also, our crate was never in our bedroom. Proximity might be an issue for nighttime sleep near you and make it harder not easier. We always only had one crate and kept it in the kitchen
    Put it out in the garage. Or in the Sienna out in the garage. No Sienna? Party foul.

Even as pups, not all breeds take well to being crated right away as opposed to others. You have to take the breed into consideration before anything else. And then age. I have found that the dumber the dog, the easier they are to crate train. And I don't mean dumb like people, know what I'm saying? The easier, go-lucky, drooly, throw-the-ball-types. It's the stubborn breeds or intellectually smart/sensitive ones that don't take to it easily sometimes. YMMV.

WRG, I might be completely wrong but from what I've seen on the socials, your pup looks to have some border collie, if not predominant, based on the white-tipped tail and paws? The 'lamplighter' tail is the giveaway. They are an emotionally sensitive breed and always prefer to be near their pack, not isolated. As a puppy recently pulled from his mom, you're all he has and he doesn't want to be away from you, nor does he understand why the other dog gets to sleep at the foot of the bed, why he can't also do that. He's already identified it as the place where the rest of the pack sleeps.

Get him used to crating as he matures, they for sure love their safe space; eventually, it's where he may hang out more and more without encouragement. But know that as a puppy, he wants to be close to you, be a part of the pack. He is bonding and building trust in you, as much as you are with him. They (Borders) are very loving, can be almost velcro. And they will get extremely upset if you get mad at them and raise voice or yell, they want to please you so bad. They are just incredibly smart & sensitive dogs to the core.

If he's a mutt, then maybe his other breeds will temper some of that neediness for emotional bonding. I highly recommend a Wisdom Panel DNA test to find out his makeup, genetic markers, traits, etc. Worth every penny, IMO. Getting it done at such a young age may provide you with more insights as to certain traits or behaviors he might have, which would also help you with training. Maybe you already know his breed in which case I've said too much.

Maybe let him on the bed once in awhile in the mornings to get those good-morning snuggles in.
    I know, I know...slippery slope....

Welcome to the club!

Yeah we've got chew puzzles, a couple tiny treats to start, a Calmaroo (literally like this stupid fake puppy with a battery powered heartbeat lol), a towel in there, my GFs shirt for her sent (maybe I need to try one of my shirts.....I'm definitely the dad and he wants to be with me all the time).....

I if possible we never want him on out bed. We have a 10 year old 15 pound Chihuahua/Jack Russel mix already and he sleeps at the foot of the bed. One small pup is more than enough.
    Stinky shirt will probably help.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Even as pups, not all breeds take well to being crated right away as opposed to others. You have to take the breed into consideration before anything else. And then age. I have found that the dumber the dog, the easier they are to crate train. And I don't mean dumb like people, know what I'm saying? The easier, go-lucky, drooly, throw-the-ball-types. It's the stubborn breeds or intellectually smart/sensitive ones that don't take to it easily sometimes. YMMV.

WRG, I might be completely wrong but from what I've seen on the socials, your pup looks to have some border collie, if not predominant, based on the white-tipped tail and paws? The 'lamplighter' tail is the giveaway. They are an emotionally sensitive breed and always prefer to be near their pack, not isolated. As a puppy recently pulled from his mom, you're all he has and he doesn't want to be away from you, nor does he understand why the other dog gets to sleep at the foot of the bed, why he can't also do that. He's already identified it as the place where the rest of the pack sleeps.

Get him used to crating as he matures, they for sure love their safe space; eventually, it's where he may hang out more and more without encouragement. But know that as a puppy, he wants to be close to you, be a part of the pack. He is bonding and building trust in you, as much as you are with him. They (Borders) are very loving, can be almost velcro. And they will get extremely upset if you get mad at them and raise voice or yell, they want to please you so bad. They are just incredibly smart & sensitive dogs to the core.

If he's a mutt, then maybe his other breeds will temper some of that neediness for emotional bonding. I highly recommend a Wisdom Panel DNA test to find out his makeup, genetic markers, traits, etc. Worth every penny, IMO. Getting it done at such a young age may provide you with more insights as to certain traits or behaviors he might have, which would also help you with training. Maybe you already know his breed in which case I've said too much.

Maybe let him on the bed once in awhile in the mornings to get those good-morning snuggles in.

Welcome to the club!
    Excellent advice.

Doggie stoke

Also a lover of shitface here.
    With the experience of a couple old dogs now, I think we have leaned towards giving them euthanasia a day too late vs a day too early. which I regret.
    It’s so hard to judge but trying to get them into the vehicle and then at the vets office, give them the shot when they are spent is just gut wrenching.
    If you can get the vet to come to your house, it is worth it’s weight in gold
    skid luxury

Vibes, Shitface

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

Welcome to the club!
    Thank you and good advice. As far as we know he is pretty high % Border Collie for sure. Supposedly some Lab as well. We saw photo of mom and she looked to me mostly Border as well. The dad is "border collie/lab/ranch dog" from the neighbors house. We never saw a photo.

He is just incredibly sweet/sensitive and wants to be with us all the time. Follow us around inside and outside the house etc. Oddly, he seems to like being in his crate even more when its in the back seat of the truck. Driving or parked he just happily snoozes in the crate. In the house not so much yet. We will see. I just really want to do this right with the training/etc.

Sheldon! Sheldon! Sheldon!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    Sheldon! Sheldon! Sheldon!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
    Yes! Glad Walter got to hang with sheldon.

No offense but I can't imagine a world where my dogs don't own my bed/couch etc.

Had a bittersweet weekend spending my wedding anniversary out in the woods. Both my husky and Walter had a blast but I'm pretty sure it might be one of the last outings for the old man. Don't get me wrong he's had one hell of a run(15!yr old husky!) but I think I might be heading to that other thread sooner than I want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app

Yup, my two are getting long in the tooth also. I always have weird thoughts; "I wonder if we will ever get to do this again together". It sucks, but every minute with them is a bonus at this point.
    From younger and crazier days.

Name:  G&M.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  176.7 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Vibes Buzz, hope the pup is ok!

Searched "dog" and "dogs". Needed to search "doggie" duh!

Got a new pup last Wednesday. Crate woes thus far:

How do you get a brand new puppy (8 weeks old) to sleep in the crate? Ours will go in there to eat, he will do a puzzle in there, etc but WILL NOT sleep in there.

The first two night we did crate (in the bedroom with us) with blankets over it, a couple treats in there, a little blanket/towel and he was in there but really not happy about it. Night 2 he HOWLED for like 15 minutes......he just wanted to be near us.

Night 3 and 4 have been crate still in bedroom with the crate door open......but he just wants to sleep on the floor next to where I am in the bed to be as close to me as possible. Last night was great. He slept 1030pm to 330am. I only awoke because of very slight sound. We went out and he peed/pooped and then we went back up to bed. I put a couple treats in the crate and he went in for 5 or 6 minutes then out to sleep next to my side of the bed on the floor again. Sometimes he even goes under the bed on the hardwood to literally be as close to me as possible. I even put a "Puppy mate/Calmaroo" deal in his crate.

Will he learn to love it if we keep up with the treat/puzzles/regular meals in the crate? I see nothing wrong with him sleeping on the floor in the bedroom, but I do want him to start to love his crate and be able to comfortably stay in there for an hour or 2 when he gets bigger. Especially if I have a crate in the back of the truck. Say I have a work appointment with a client and can't bring the dog. I want to say "load up" and have him get in the crate and happily nap for 90 minutes given that it's not super hot or super cold. You know like those good boys you see at the ski area.

Can I train him into this or is he "scarred" forever now and will just not ever like a crazy from being locked in there literally two times ever for 20 minutes while he howled.

https://imgur.com/a/5qXnLKy
    You’ve already back slid. Put him in there in another room and don’t let him out until he’s quiet and you’re ready. Ignore the crying, it won’t last.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So funny, as soon as I posted the last post he went in the living room crate on his own and took a 20 minute nap. We have two identical crates. One in the bedroom 4 feet from my side of the bed and one in the living room.
    Get the second crate out of your bedroom. You have to be a hardass with crate training if you want the crate to be his safe place in the future

It just doesn't work with all breeds like that, esp at such a young age. What you may get from that is a constant whiner/barker and a dog that feels the crate is some sort of punishment. Reward him when he uses his crate on his own, use the happy voice, positive reinforcement always. Eventually, the pup will understand what the crate is for and use it all on his own, it will be his safe space, which collies love.

Mine sleeps with me on my bed, but only for a little bit then he gets up and goes elsewhere. He has 6 or 7 beds in the house. His favorite is the cozy destress-doughnut underneath the dining room table that's next to a wall, lol. That's his 'crate', his safe space. He goes there when there is a thunderstorm as well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PepeChuckitJune2023.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.28 MB 
ID:	460973

Name:	PepeCarpetFace.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	832.0 KB 
ID:	460974

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    No offense but I can't imagine a world where my dogs don't own my bed/couch etc.
    This.
    And I have 270 pounds of Great Dane.

It wasn't supposed to rain

That is a lot of Great Dane.

In other news, we are celebrating the the second Gotcha Day and theoretical third birthday of this one:

Name:  Moira three.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  97.7 KB
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Name:	Image1686018489.837020.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	461014

Noonan
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    This.
    Sounds like you may be sleeping with an NFL player. Nttawwt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    That is a lot of Great Dane.

In other news, we are celebrating the the second Gotcha Day and theoretical third birthday of this one:

Name:  Moira three.jpeg
Views: 271
Size:  97.7 KB
    Nice! Happy birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Stories from a Copenhagen bear leather bar
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Get the second crate out of your bedroom. You have to be a hardass with crate training if you want the crate to be his safe place in the future

Put the crate right by you. Put it on a box or something to elevate it near bed level. Take him outside to potty every time he whines and cries. I mean every time. It’s brutal for a few nights but he will get the drill and start sleeping soon.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post

Name:	Image1686018489.837020.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	461014

Noonan

Name:	Image1686022600.216406.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	178.7 KB 
ID:	461030

Name:	Image1686022648.902928.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	593.3 KB 
ID:	461032
    Jasper loves being wrapped up in towels.

However many are in a shit ton.

Name:	IMG_1697.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	950.2 KB 
ID:	461036

My Münsterlander after a run through the fields.
    "Let's be careful out there."