Page 399 of 438 FirstFirst ... 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 ... LastLast
Results 9,951 to 9,975 of 10935

Thread: Doggie stoke

When the dog mistakenly thinks she has found the fresh food aisle at Pet Valu.

Name:  Fresh meat for Moira.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  99.5 KB
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pepe021123SkinTrack.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	449.1 KB 
ID:	447382

Name:	PepeStoked021123.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	505.0 KB 
ID:	447383

Boulder dogs are synonymous with bandana's

Blaze orange so I can easily spot him, and so errant idiots will maybe think twice about shooting him. This ain't Boulder.

3-5 hour wait at the emergency vet. Oh joy.

Last edited by Dantheman; 02-20-2023 at 11:48 AM.

Oh no! Poor guy, sorry you guys are dealing with that.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Two hours out on the trail and he finds that fucking thing 400 yards from the car. He got into one once before but just got half a dozen quills in the leg and we were able to deal with it ourselves. Hopefully he gets the message this time.

Well it doesn't look fun but at least compared to some of the images I've seen it could be worse?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Two hours out on the trail and he finds that fucking thing 400 yards from the car. He got into one once before but just got half a dozen quills in the leg and we were able to deal with it ourselves. Hopefully he gets the message this time.
    Every single dog I've known that got quilled got it worse each subsequent time.

Ouch! Poor pup!

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Well it doesn't look fun but at least compared to some of the images I've seen it could be worse?
    Been through a couple farm dogs that had to be put under to get them all removed. Damn hounds just threw themselves at the porkie. Some quills just got cut off and worked their way through cartilage over time.

I’ve had to attend a few quills in remote places but under a dozen to pull out. Back of the tongue is the worst. Pliers live in the dog pack, along with the tick puller and horse tape/wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Yup. Crazy kill drive for what is otherwise a benign rodent.

if you take 1% xylocaine in a syringe with a 25 gauge. needle you can slide the needle in along side the quill. Numb it up and just yank em out with a vice grips.

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    if you take 1% xylocaine in a syringe with a 25 gauge. needle you can slide the needle in along side the quill. Numb it up and just yank em out with a vice grips.
    Got xylocaine?

Quote Originally Posted by whipski View Post
    You can buy injectable lidocaine OTC? At a B&M store on a Sunday afternoon?

I considered doping him up with Benadryl and doing it myself. Vet said he had several quills inside his mouth so probably best to leave it to a pro, but the bill was $1100 so I can't afford to be doing this again.

Poor pup look so sad, but also like he has no regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Poor pup look so sad, but also like he has no regrets.
    Next time things will be different and he's certain he is going to kick that porcupine's ass!

I had a dog whose first encounter involved biting the porcupine. I pulled everything I could, but he had quills coming out for months. His next encounter was maybe a dozen in the nose, last encounter was only 3 or 4. He also got to where he could kill a skunk without being sprayed. My whole yard would stink though.

Quote Originally Posted by crashtestdummy View Post
    I had a dog whose first encounter involved biting the porcupine. I pulled everything I could, but he had quills coming out for months. His next encounter was maybe a dozen in the nose, last encounter was only 3 or 4. He also got to where he could kill a skunk without being sprayed. My whole yard would stink though.
    Outlier.

Jessie’s 4. Prime of life.

Name:	Image1676931909.263106.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	416.4 KB 
ID:	448550
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

^^^^^^This.

I lost count how many times my dog got quilled. The worst was when he went at it with an open mouth. Quills through his tongue, in his throat, chest, neck, forehead. Holy hell did that suck. Vet kept him for two days. Still picking quills out of him days afterward. Dog never learned.

Also, shock collar may be helpful for the next time.

Name:	69864099262__A200CF18-2AAB-425E-93A3-106DC5A458D5.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	448599

What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Bork bork

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post

Name:	69864099262__A200CF18-2AAB-425E-93A3-106DC5A458D5.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	224.3 KB 
ID:	448599

Awwww. Handsome. How's my buddy I've never met?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    3-5 hour wait at the emergency vet. Oh joy.

In my opinion, this isn't that bad. I would not go to the vet for this (or even sedate the dog).

I understand that they are painful to remove, I hope it's used as a learning experience.

I have 3 dogs, all 3 of them have been quilled, none of them will touch a porcupine now

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    In my opinion, this isn't that bad. I would not go to the vet for this (or even sedate the dog).

I understand that they are painful to remove, I hope it's used as a learning experience.

I have 3 dogs, all 3 of them have been quilled, none of them will touch a porcupine now
    I did try at home before going to the vet. Got two out and after that he was so freaked out it became impossible. We found one straggler last night and just the sight of the pliers made him cower in a corner. He's 60 lbs and strong AF, it's impossible to keep him restrained. There were also more quills underneath that you can't see in the pic and the vet said he had several inside his mouth and in his tongue.

Can you just leave them in and let their body work them out over time? Seems like a recipe for infection, but I figure it's worth asking.

Doggie stoke

Best to remove them, but sometimes they are in so deep pulling them out will cause greater damage. They continue to work themselves further over time, so if the path is into something important like a sinus or worse, they need to come out. Nose cartilage and tongue aren’t so bad to let a tip works it’s own way out.

Tip for restraining the bigger dogs - back them into a garbage can. All my hounds have been big, and that was the only way to get it done if your hound won’t settle. They do tend to settle down a bit after you pull a half dozen out. Like I mentioned before, the tongue and back of the mouth are the worst to remove quills.