Page 102 of 151 FirstFirst ... 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 ... LastLast
Results 2,526 to 2,550 of 3764
    A little early May riding at pipestone and above a still frozen Georgetown Lake.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (1).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	214.4 KB 
ID:	327869   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail (2).jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	327870  

Getting good out here

Just a few downed trees

Question for the motorcycle mags. I’m looking at getting a dual sport bike. But getting lots of conflicting opinions on what to get. Haven’t been on a motorcycle in 16 years. Used to ride a 250 asprilla street bike for commuting when I lived in Europe. Not looking to get super rad but would like decent off road capabilities. Will also use it as a summer commuter bike going up LCC, I live at the base. I’m leaning to the Honda crf250L. But many guys are trying to steer me to a 450. Not going to be using it on the interstate so don’t need the power on pavement. Will I be missing the power off road?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Question for the motorcycle mags. I’m looking at getting a dual sport bike. But getting lots of conflicting opinions on what to get. Haven’t been on a motorcycle in 16 years. Used to ride a 250 asprilla street bike for commuting when I lived in Europe. Not looking to get super rad but would like decent off road capabilities. Will also use it as a summer commuter bike going up LCC, I live at the base. I’m leaning to the Honda crf250L. But many guys are trying to steer me to a 450. Not going to be using it on the interstate so don’t need the power on pavement. Will I be missing the power off road?

250 is a lot lighter for trail riding and fire roads. Not the best for approach rides to the terrain. Not fun above 50. But it’s really a weight issue. Do your homework and research on weight difference. But base to LCC is a a lot of slab riding

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Getting good out here

Just a few downed trees
    Love the berg. Tried to and almost closed on a couple that slipped away when I got my used husky 450.

She's a keeper.

Friend of mine has the street legal 450 Berg. Beautiful bike but his is a little hard to start maybe because he only weighs 135 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    Question for the motorcycle mags. I’m looking at getting a dual sport bike.
    I bought a used KTM 690 Enduro R last year. Love it. Good power for pavement, but surprisingly nimble on dirt trails, and there are tires that can do dirt and asphalt well. Only downside is that the gas mileage isn't great. I posted a pic here last fall-ma page or two back.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I changed the erl and filter on the FZ1 and recharged the battery last week. Took the mutha out and within 10 minutes had her up to 110 passing.
    Fuck that felt good.

Except that I usually give her a few to warm up before full launch mode. OTOH, 110 is around 7k rpm with a top of almost 11k; and just entering the band for 6th.

The '02 has about 48k on it and didn't see 500 miles last season 'cuz knee surgery in april.
    I plan on making up for that this year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Altacoup - Your size and skillset will bear on what to buy. Tall or heavier dudes don't want to undersize. Your old skills come back pretty quick, if you had some...I grew up MXing so I can push a KLR 650 around like a 450. And you'll wanna grow into a bigger bike more than growing out of a lil' guy.
    A 250 isn't much for a growed up fella. And up the canyon could be sluggish.

I'd be leary of even a 450 on the Interstate. My big bike, at 80 on I 25 in SLC traffic, is even a little sketch for me. Maybe cuz I trust no one above 20 mph.

Motorcyclin' around the Tetons is just outstanding. Choice environment visually with grrrrreat asphalt/concrete and route choices are top shelf.

Hope to see some of you mags this summer. Kick it at the house of 420...

For a Bi-Sport, a 450 thumper trailbike is what I gather is a good way, if you are more concerned with trails and dirt roads. XCW, TE or CRF X or L model depending on your needs. I don't have one but have been looking into this this year and those are the recs I get from my riding buddies that have been doing it for 40 yrs. Yeah, Pipestone is riding well again, just watch out for the SxSs when connecting

Portage Glacier

Crf250l is no lightweight 250 dirtbike. It is fairly heavy compared to the Orange plated dual sports.
    Ktm 350excf is the sweet spot for most people looking for a dual sport that can rip dirt without overpowering the rider like a 450 or 500 can, and can do OK on roads.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Crf250l is no lightweight 250 dirtbike. It is fairly heavy compared to the Orange plated dual sports.
    Ktm 350excf is the sweet spot for most people looking for a dual sport that can rip dirt without overpowering the rider like a 450 or 500 can, and can do OK on roads.
    Was going to write thIs as well until reading your post. I run a 07 KTM 450 exc. Started with a DRZ 400 in 02 for dual sports. Close friend said to ride his KTM 400 at the Hammer Run in NJ. ( 04 ) Bought the bike off him that weekend and have never looked back. Have been eyeing a six days 350 KTM with only 1100 miles on it, just waiting to hear price from friend.
    690 is also a good option but not a fan for hard trail riding. Don’t over look the new Beta RR 390 which is a beautiful machine!
    The 250 class I feel the Yamaha is better than the Honda,

Best of luck with what ever u choose.
    always forward but never straight

Scarlet in her natural habitat of the canadian rockies:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Moto 1.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	328238Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moto 2.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	328239

Alta, I’ll echo what most of what has been said above. Think about do you want to connect trails and ride maybe a hundred miles a day? Or do you want to ride road, but ventur on to dirt roads and maybe a single track. The 690/701 is probably the best all around option, but comes up short at the edges of the spectrum. 450’s for more single track. The Honda and Yamaha 250s are designed for low maintenance. You can get a liter or bigger bike down a lot of gravel roads, but you will fear dropping it. I had a 690 for a couple years. It was excellent. I have an older Husaberg 570 to play with this year. But am headed for a Tenere 700 to ride forest service and BLM roads day after day.

I've, learned from 30 years of owning and riding, that motorcycles are just like women, you always have to compromise.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I've, learned from 30 years of owning and riding, that motorcycles are just like women, you always have to compromise.
    ...and its best to have more then one.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Thanks for all the advice. I’m only planning to commute (wouldn’t think about going on the interstate with the idiot drivers around here) and use for desert and single track riding. Trying to keep it cheap so will probably stuck with the Japanese brands. KTMs I’ve seen around here seem pricey and mechanic I talked to recommended Yamaha or Honda. So whatever I can find cheap and decent will be they way I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Springskiin View Post
    Alta, I’ll echo what most of what has been said above. Think about do you want to connect trails and ride maybe a hundred miles a day? Or do you want to ride road, but ventur on to dirt roads and maybe a single track. The 690/701 is probably the best all around option, but comes up short at the edges of the spectrum. 450’s for more single track. The Honda and Yamaha 250s are designed for low maintenance. You can get a liter or bigger bike down a lot of gravel roads, but you will fear dropping it. I had a 690 for a couple years. It was excellent. I have an older Husaberg 570 to play with this year. But am headed for a Tenere 700 to ride forest service and BLM roads day after day.

Have they said when the 700 will be released.?
    I Rode the KTM 790 R last weekend on the road maybe 20 miles, ( buddy’s ) but need to get it off road to judge. I am on my second 990 and 790 would have to really sell me off road to trade in my big girl, I think the Yamaha 700 looks better than the 790 personally but I am a KTM guy ......... for now,
    always forward but never straight

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker/boarder View Post
    Have they said when the 700 will be released.?
    I Rode the KTM 790 R last weekend on the road maybe 20 miles, ( buddy’s ) but need to get it off road to judge. I am on my second 990 and 790 would have to really sell me off road to trade in my big girl, I think the Yamaha 700 looks better than the 790 personally but I am a KTM guy ......... for now,
    Canada is getting their Tenere 700s right now, and the US is supposed to be next in line. I am suspecting August or September with dealers able to put in their orders in June. I do enjoy the KTMs, they are a lot of fun to ride. But I have always appreciated the value of Japanese vehicles, always owned Toyotas. KTM is a bit too proud of their parts, and there is a lot to upgrade or fix as it breaks. Some day I look forward to riding a 790. I took a 1090 for a test drive, and really enjoyed it. But I do not need a bike that gets to triple digits that easily. I ride to be on gravel, and explore cool places. I can do without the highway riding, That being said, a 950 Super enduro would be a lot of fun to experience some day.

The Tenere has arrived in the Tetons and it is a smooth operating machine. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6207.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	224.2 KB 
ID:	331948

- I am here for the stoke

"If you see this bike on a trailer, call 911".

Added the monkey bike to the mix for the kayak river trip self shuttle in the time of the Covid.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4103A2C7-8BF0-428E-8BF4-2A9CABBAA883.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	616.5 KB 
ID:	331969  

Picked up a 2008 Yamaha WR250R with low miles. Looking forward to getting out. Definitely rusty on the clutch, need practice before taking it out of the neighborhood. Can't wait to dial this thing in for some long dirt adventures.

Ah, the wonderful smell of a fresh rabbit hole to go down and new money pit! Can't beat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Picked up a 2008 Yamaha WR250R with low miles. Looking forward to getting out. Definitely rusty on the clutch, need practice before taking it out of the neighborhood. Can't wait to dial this thing in for some long dirt adventures.

Ah, the wonderful smell of a fresh rabbit hole to go down and new money pit! Can't beat it.
    Sounds awesome. I'm dreaming of a XR100 or old CT90 for single-track exploration.
    Common sense. So rare today in America it's almost like having a superpower.