Page 62 of 151 FirstFirst ... 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 3764
    The Buell is probably a pretty decent option, although I've read conflicting opinions about it as a starter bike—even though it's a lot less powerful than a full-bore sportbike, I've seen references to it having enough torque to pop forward in gear if you let out the clutch too quickly rather than stalling, and stalling is decidedly the more newbie-friendly behavior at that point.

The EX250 / Ninja 250 is a sportbike-looking standard with full plastics. The ergos are slightly sporty but closer to standard (the pegs are fairly close to being below the seat and only slightly to the rear). The 88-07 model was largely unchanged, so the styling got pretty dated; however, a good deal on an 04 or an 05 still won't set you back very much. The '08, '09, and '10 model is an entirely redesigned bike that shares many of the same pluses but is also a tad more expensive and has substantially improved suspension.

My newest toy:

I wouldn't get a Buell 500 as a first bike, in my opinion there are many better options, depending a lot on your previous experience (dirtbikes, mountain bikes, etc.) The buell is 500cc one cylinder and therefore has a lot of vibrations and not much power.
    My first bike was ninja 500 with full fairings. Very nice first bike. Quick when you rev it hard, and very easy and user friendly below 7500 rpm. Surprisingly able to keep up with full on sportbikes (although not in a pure dragrace).
    Other bikes I've ridden that I'd consider. If you have limited experiance, Ninja 250, Suzuki 500, Honda 125 (This you need to be tiny and full on newbie).
    If you have ridden various mechanical toys: Honda 599 (probably my first choice, maybe called cb600 this year), Kawi 650 twin - updated ninja 500, Yamah FZ-6, Ducati 595 monster, if you have $.
    Buy something you feel comfortable with, buy used, most people drop their first bike at least once. I'm the only one out of all my riding friends who hasn't dropped thier bike once. My one buddy bought an amazing ktm 990 and dropped on the way from the store...
    Good luck searching.

I think naked (standard bikes are very good choice), they wind alone keeps you from going past 200km/h (130mph ??), very comfortable, 90% of performnace of streetbike with 2x the comfort.
    My favorite bikes so far have been Honda 919 and my favorite that I've spent time on is Yamaha FZ-1. That thing is a rocket.

I should add, I bought the 500, doubled the km's, rode it very hard always (keeping up with full on sportbikes), and sold it for $200 more then I paid...
    Getting a starter bike is a smart choice. Going too small (for me would have been 125,225 or buell 500) and i'd have wanted a replacement way sooner. You can ride a Ninja 500 hard or cautiously ride a full on 600. I think wringing out the smaller bike is safer, fun way to learn.

Any N,H. Mags willing to offer up a N,H. Addy for a buddy who is going to buy a bike in N,h. and drive it cross country. He's planning on making it a track only bike once he gets home but needs a plate to get it back from N,H,.

jgb@etree Guest
    Haven't seen much talk about the SV650. That used to be like the de facto standard for a learner bike.

Great HD commercial....Buell fans be sure watch the end.

I love Moab, but I'm starting to like the west desert a whole lot more. Nobody around...........lots of exploration and endless wide open desert. My new frontier.........

The west desert is in bloom and everything is green. Did a fun 160 mile loop out there today.

Still snow on the peaks, making for some scenic riding conditions.

A dash of Ireland and a pinch of Austria, with some Utah thrown in for flavor.

After crossing another west desert valley, we climb over the peaks on fun ATV track.

Then descend down the other side into another vast open nothingness.

Traverse the mountains for a bit, then start climbing over the next range to the west.

It's impossible to describe how good the riding was through here. Gently uphill, many little creek crossings, good packed dirt and little loose stuff.

Odd swamp or spring in an otherwise bone dry desert.

The river/creek followed the trail for a while.

Dropping back into the desert and some REALLY fun riding on another planet.

This area was mindboggling. Fast, smooth dirt/sand, burmed corners, surreal dead trees.

Wild horses appeared, but not before we saw a bunch of antelope racing us across the desert.

When you don't have to worry about trees or rocks, you can go faster than you probably should. That's the joy of the west desert.

Yup, miles and miles of single track. SCORE!

"Is this on your GPS?" "Yeah, it goes"

I will say this, give these folks your business. They have GREAT food, great service, very friendly, and the coolest 125+ year old building with a dining area in back, great porch, etc.

Running on fumes for some of us.

I flatted the first 1/2 mile into the day, then Noah flatted with 20 miles to go. Fix the flat, oooops, slow leak again. Quick slab home. Great day.

FKNA that was a nice ride you just took us on ...thanks and would really like to hook up with you guys out there some time....looks PHENOMINAL.......Thanksssssss
    always forward but never straight

At the end of Amasa Back, Moab.
    Just got home the other day, to more winter here in Tahoe!

yea I have seen the video. its awesome.
    actually I am trying to be a good rider.. could you give me more useful tips....
    DainikBhaskar.tv -Bhaskar TV and Bhaskar news source. Get Bhaskar news online with just visit here.

What the hell am I thinking?
    Just put a deposit on a '78 KZ650 with a 750 engine shoehorned in. I don't even have a license. Cafe project for the next year or so.
    Recently overheard: "Hey Ralph, what were you drinking that time that you set your face on fire?"

did you have to trade your fixed gear bike and chrome messenger bag for it?

j/k ...that sounds like a fun project.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad79 View Post
    Thanks for the advice, I will look into the EX250 and the KLR 250, but I was honestly thinking more about street bikes (naked) than dirt. not sure how much off roading i am going to do. i read an article that highly recommended the buell blast. What do you guys think of that? i am not sure how old the article was, but it may have been written a few years ago, when the buell blast was smaller. there are a couple of cheap ones available in my area as well.
    one big benefit of the buell blast is you can find a ton of them cheap.

the reason you can find a ton of them cheap is because people tend to outgrow them pretty quick. dont worry about a starter bike, you'll want to move up within a season. With harley ending buell, lots of harley dealers are selling left over buells pretty cheap. If you're interested in buell, check out the xb9s. It's a 900 instead of the 1200 of the xb12s.

It's tempting to buy an older bike for a few hundred off craigslist, but be careful buying an old used bike, last thing you want as a beginner is a bike with bad brakes, shot tires, or shot suspension.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Well its the last weekend of Motorcycle week I'm so happy the traffic is crazy. Anyway here are some bikes on my walk to the bank at lunch.

Oh why fly your color with so many cops around? Any time I have seen HA this week there has been a cop car right on his/their ass. Seems like it would get annoying.

People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

a good rack is essential.

Great ride today.

I don't know why I look at this thread, it makes me miss that bike I had in india so much.

FS: Klim Mojave Pants (2010 model)

Thought you guys might be interested in some great vented pants for these hot summer rides. I bought these pants this spring and have only worn them twice (then washed on the gentle cycle and hung to dry). They are a great pant, but I just have too much gear. This was my first Klim purchase and I was really impressed with the quality.

2010 Klim Mojave Pants - Size 34. Lots of features, so here's some links: Klim Website or Motorcycle Superstore. The color is listed as grey, but they are more of a dark green/black. Paid $149 from Motorcycle Superstore.

Asking $100

kenny roberts on the the 4 cylinder 2-stroke TZ750 that he rode in '75 for the win at indy. this bike is sick even today.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k8hJWKIVNs&feature=related"]YouTube- Kenny Roberts and the Indy Mile (2009)[/nomedia]

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    kenny roberts on the the 4 cylinder 2-stroke TZ750 that he rode in '75 for the win at indy. this bike is sick even today.

YouTube- Kenny Roberts and the Indy Mile (2009)
    Thanks for sharing that. I cannot fathom the hit that thing must have. I thought my CR250 had power.

MF

I was there and watching this was mindblowing. For an "old" guy he can still rip. Rossi was there and was in awe of the bike and the races.
    The flat track racing was pretty wild, either full throttle or leaned over drifting the corner at speed.

Anyone else going to the GP this year? I already have tickets through the ApriliaForum. We have space in our block if anyone is interested.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Beautiful stuff, man. Looks like you got some prime riding out there. Here in NE you gotta look hard to find stuff.

Anyway

So about a month ago, I picked up a new-to-me R1150GS, w/aftermarket suspension bits and a handful of other goodies...thought I'd wait until I had at least some decent sitting-still photos to share:

Been having a blast so far, even if one of the more adventurous rides I took didn't work out quite as planned (what we hoped would be a short section of decent Jeep road turned out to be about 1.4 miles of Jeep Rd, not all of it in great shape for bikes).