Page 23 of 151 FirstFirst ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk View Post
    I just put down a deposit on the 6/26 California Superbike School track day at Miller.

I have some new front brake pads on the way so I'll pass tech, and I'm STOKED.

STOKED.

120 lb squid with 1000cc superbike. I'm sure the pads are all you'll need.

Big truck, dirt bikes, camping gear, baja - recipe for fun.

...and surfboards
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

So the summer new bike bug is hitting me hard...
    Looked at a whole range of bikes yesterday - everything from a GSXR 600 to R1 to Interceptor to FJR1300...
    I'm still liking the Triumph Sprint though. Basically want a fun everyday bike that I can pack up on the weekends and go 300+ miles at a stretch.

What's the most nimble of the sport tourers? Opinions anyone?

teaching my wife to ride this summer...she gets the bonneville

Quote Originally Posted by tex1230 View Post
    Looked at a whole range of bikes yesterday - everything from a GSXR 600 to R1 to Interceptor to FJR1300...
    I'm still liking the Triumph Sprint though. Basically want a fun everyday bike that I can pack up on the weekends and go 300+ miles at a stretch.

The Sprint's are awesome bikes. I nearly bought one last year.

Have you looked at the Triumph Daytona 955i's? They're set-up similar to the Sprint, a little more aggressive for the twisties; put on some heli-bars and you're got yourself a weekend warrior twisty bike and a sport tourer.
    The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

The only thing holding me back on the sprint (and daytona 955 if I can find a good one) is the oil leak issues I had with the bonneville. (oh, yeah...and current lack of funds, but that should be worked out in a couple of months) Seriously considering Japanese engineering for reliability and ease of service.

The Brit bikes are touch more expensive to maintain, that part sucks...but wouldn't worry too much about the oil leak issue with the bigger Daytona's. I'm going on 10K miles of riding my Daytona (just over 20K on the bike) with no problems at all.

It's not my personal favorite...but did you look at the FZ6 or FZ1? Both are highly recommended sport tourers with a little bit of punch to them. I ride with a guy on an FZ6 and he manages just find in the sweepers we ride.
    The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

don't like the look of the FZs too much - I'll have to look for what luggage I can get for them too...but interesting suggestion

I'm with you I don't care for the way they look much either...but they come with good recommendations.

jgb@etree Guest

A Hayabusa might be a decent choice for you if it's not too big for you to manage. They're large and comfortable without giving away too many of the performance characteristics of a sport bike. I've owned 6 CBR's, 4 GSXR's and an R1 in the past before riding a 'busa last year... I loved it. Given the choice today, I'd choose it over any of the bikes I've owned.

Edit: just picked up a 999, and it's beyond words
    Last edited by jgb@etree; 10-06-2007 at 06:02 AM.

The ergos on the hayabusa are not good for me. I could ride it for about 20 minutes before needing a break. My wrists and lower back would kill me.

Do they even make touring bags for that beast?

edit: I guess I could get heli bars and a bigger windscreen...but it's really not a bike I'd consider.
    Last edited by tex1230; 05-18-2007 at 12:17 PM.

The ergos on the hayabusa are not good for me. I could ride it for about 20 minutes before needing a break. My wrists and lower back would kill me.

Do they even make touring bags for that beast?

edit: I guess I could get heli bars and a bigger windscreen...but it's really not a bike I'd consider.
    They make touring bags for any bike your heart desires. If the ergos on a sportbike bug you, you can always throw on some heli-bars and a corbin seat to give you more of the sport tourer feel. That goes for just about any sport bike on the market.

I ride with a guy who's got his Busa set up for sport touring. He put on heli-bars, corbin seat, and a throttlemeister (i.e. cruise control)....then fit the bike up with a soft sided tri-bag (saddle bags and tail bag) plus a magnetic tank bag. It's a pretty cool set-up...and even fully loaded he can smoke most bikes in the straights.

Yamaha FJR1300?

Honda ST1100?

Both great touring bikes that handle the twisties well too.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Sport touring :
    Bmw K1200GT.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

This just in:

I'm retarded.

TR of failed installation of hydraulic clutch to follow sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    This just in:

I'm retarded.

TR of failed installation of hydraulic clutch to follow sometime soon.

SHIT!!! That sucks.

Waiting for the TR.

============================================

Best thing about riding your motorcycle is, no matter how shitty your day at work was, taking a ride on your bike makes you forget it all.

Rain since Tuesday and through the damn weekend... Grateful to the universe for this thread to keep me going!!

Thanks!
    VG
    When logic goes out the window, go with it.

-- yogachik

Grrrr = Proud new co-owner of a Ninja 250...which the g/f will get most of the time. Just as well, as my knees kinda stick up a bit...
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    SHIT!!! That sucks.

Waiting for the TR.
    In a nutshel:

-I Live and work in a city.
    -No cable clutch is designed for this kind of abuse.
    -I've gone through three in 9 years at $80/each, not including installation. I finally figured I could do it myself and save the 2 hours mechanic's fee. Worked like a charm last time (2 years ago... )
    -Every time I've barely caught the breakage in time - should that cable snap while riding the only way to stop is to kill the motor or wreck.

These factors (especially the last one, I have kids fer chrissakes!) were the deciding factor in converting to a hydraulic clutch for $240.

The kit comes on Thursday with all necessary parts and some very good instructions (http://www.americansportbike.com/ rocks.) I get all my stuff together and get to work. Everything goes smooth as silk until the very end as I'm testing the clutch pull. It seems to me (mistakenly) that the hydraulic fluid is leaking slightly from the slave cylinder end, right where the bleed valve screws in. I proceed to overtighten the fucking valve and strip the threads.

FUCK!

I hope ASB will be cool and let me buy just the slave cylinder, which should only be about $50. No answer to my plaintive e-mail yet, but that could be a volume/friday/busy laughing their asses off at a mechanic JONG thing. Lesson learned: Clean fluid spills before testing hydraulics to see if it's a leak or not.

Best thing about riding your motorcycle is, no matter how shitty your day at work was, taking a ride on your bike makes you forget it all.
    No doubt, that's why whenever possible I ride to work. The free parking thing doesn't suck either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    -Every time I've barely caught the breakage in time - should that cable snap while riding the only way to stop is to kill the motor or wreck.
    Your bike doesn't have nuetral?

How do you find Neutral (on a motorcycle) without the clutch? You can try to blip the throttle and force-downshift to first, give gas, let the engine brake, and hope you can toe it up to neutral... but there's almost a 100% chance you'll clunk into second instead, especially with the relatively heavy (and crappy) Harley transmission in a Buell. Also, since it's a torquey motor with a 5 speed tranny I'm usually riding in 3rd or 4th gear, making it even less likely to get it down to first in time before having to either turn or stop. The safest bet would be to just thumb the engine kill switch instead.
    Last edited by Tippster; 05-19-2007 at 04:21 PM.

That really sucks Tip.

Good luck and hopefully they'll give you the new part with a torque wrench and some numbers. (I'm terrible about stripping and breaking off bolts.)
    I understand.

Finding neutral without a clutch...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    You still don't get it. It's clear that guy went into that corner hot and blew the turn, ended up in your sisters lane and hit her head on.

It doesn't matter what kind of bike he was on. He could have been on a moped doing 60 into that corner and blown the turn. Knowing how to ride a bike, abilities etc are more important than the bike you're on.

If a guy killed your friend with a 300 Magnum, would you preach that if he had less firepower, perhaps only had a .40 Cal handgun, that would have made the difference?

Your argument is stupid, like you.
    blurred.....you're an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by southbalto View Post
    blurred.....you're an idiot.
    way to keep the stoke going, JONG

Pouring rain here still so no bike ride for me today but happy to think of Shmoesmith on his 500 mile overnight trip to Bryce... there's riding going on SOMEWHERE!!!

But will someone please talk to him about not riding in shorts and without a helmet...?
    When logic goes out the window, go with it.

-- yogachik

Quote Originally Posted by valleygirl View Post
    Pouring rain here still so no bike ride for me today but happy to think of Shmoesmith on his 500 mile overnight trip to Bryce... there's riding going on SOMEWHERE!!!

But will someone please talk to him about not riding in shorts and without a helmet...?
    shorts and no helmet? hope he's in flip flops on a GSXR750...that would be a sweet look!

I had a nice breakfast ride yesterday...connecticut backroads...getting a little lost...getting caught in the rain...all before 9am