Page 135 of 151 FirstFirst ... 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 3764
    Up at 13,000 ft looking down at Fred's house

Chain looks a bit taut.

Sorry, I seem to have started "critique my bike from a picture"

That said, on 914 the spoke on the rear wheel at 9:00 just above the swingarm, coming from the left side of the hub looks slightly under torqued .
    And your air filter needs cleaning.

:-)

Great pics and bikes, I'm super jelly.
    Smoked out in Tahoe, but also injured right now anyway. Hopefully I can braap before the snow comes.
    Keep the moto stoke alive

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    Chain looks a bit taut.
    Agreed

Took the 45 seconds and loosened it this morning

Had two bikes get beat down on that ride yesterday. Radical Hill claims a lot of victims. 914 stayed upright and happy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1663553259.339435.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	194.8 KB 
ID:	426793

Trail just visible in foreground. Glorious day on the trails.

Question. I need a recommendation on hip protection if anyone has something that they really like.

This was an issue finally addressed.

Looking at new-to-me dual sports...something along the line of CRF250L, CRF300L, XT250, KLX. Most of these dual sports are bulletproof and I've had minimal issue buying used in the past as long as they've been maintained.

Typical age range I'm seeing is 2014-17 with 4-6k miles on the odometer and priced around $4500-5500. There are also a few with very low mileage. They are a bit newer, and a bit more expensive. Maybe $500-800 more, a couple examples are 13 miles on a 2020 or 300 miles on a 2018 both around $5800.

Normally it would be a no brainer to pony up a few $hundred extra. But wondering if there is anything to be concerned about with them sitting around not being used most of the time. These are all fuel injected bikes. All my bikes to date have been carbureted with accompanying issues if you let them sit with gas in them.

I'd be looking at comparing any year over year changes on a given model and weighing that for the delta in price/value.

I don't follow that specific niche, but I would think those models change little, but worth a look.

FI is damn nice, if mapped well from the factory, or with an add on controller.
    But proper charging system operation and battery maintenance is key, or you're dead in the water without juice to power it.

Also specific condition/maintenance needs on different bikes will play a large part in price deltas. A thousand meticulously maintained old man fire road miles is better to buy than a few hundred idiot thrashed singletrack miles.

I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on the Sur-Rons a bit. New ones have 75 miles range and only weigh 120ish pounds? Anyone have good insight into what will happen with them in the next few years? Increased range, decreased prices, lighter, cheaper second batteries?

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I’ve gone down the rabbit hole on the Sur-Rons a bit. New ones have 75 miles range and only weigh 120ish pounds? Anyone have good insight into what will happen with them in the next few years? Increased range, decreased prices, lighter, cheaper second batteries?

There an adult size one coming out. I just sold mine. Not because I didn’t like it really, I just don’t have time to go down that mod rabbit hole right now. You can basically upgrade almost every part on the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    I'd be looking at comparing any year over year changes on a given model and weighing that for the delta in price/value.

I don't follow that specific niche, but I would think those models change little, but worth a look.

FI is damn nice, if mapped well from the factory, or with an add on controller.
    But proper charging system operation and battery maintenance is key, or you're dead in the water without juice to power it.

Also specific condition/maintenance needs on different bikes will play a large part in price deltas. A thousand meticulously maintained old man fire road miles is better to buy than a few hundred idiot thrashed singletrack miles.
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. These models don't change much year on year so not much difference there. Best value will be to look at what mods they have that I'd do myself anyways like rear rack, hand guards, skid plate etc. These aren't bikes you typically buy to shred singletrack but I get the comment about them being thrashed on.

I'd consider one to replace a dual sport moto if the range were better. So hopefully better range and cheaper batteries will happen. I'm too chicken to take the moto on singletrack trails but a ~100 lb e-moto is something I could handle with more confidence.

I'd also want to see how things play out with them on streets, highways, forest roads etc since those would be included in most rides I'd want to do.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Thanks, that's pretty much what I thought. These models don't change much year on year so not much difference there. Best value will be to look at what mods they have that I'd do myself anyways like rear rack, hand guards, skid plate etc. These aren't bikes you typically buy to shred singletrack but I get the comment about them being thrashed on.
    Seems like the WR250R might fit your needs too. Maintenance interval is extremely good on them (to the point that one Facebook page I follow prohibits the phrase as every other bike owner got sick of hearing about it haha). 6 speeds, I hit 90 mph on 285 a few weeks ago. And rides more like a dirt bike than some, stiffer than the Hondas.. Lots of aftermarket as the bike has been unchanged since '08. I ride single track and burl jeep roads on mine all the time. Is it the best bike for that? No, but I just don't know any better and it seems to work.

Def not 75m range unless something has changed significantly since we bought ours. But yeah, they're light and nimble with nice snappy acceleration. They get tossed around in the big rocks but they're easy enough to move to avoid most of the worst lines. No clutch or even gears makes them super simple to operate which, combined with the light weight and lower seat height, makes them confidence inspiring to ride. Quiet too so it's easy to sneak up on folks or critters. Lots of custom parts available on Luna's site if you wanna spend more $$$.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Seems like the WR250R might fit your needs too. Maintenance interval is extremely good on them (to the point that one Facebook page I follow prohibits the phrase as every other bike owner got sick of hearing about it haha). 6 speeds, I hit 90 mph on 285 a few weeks ago. And rides more like a dirt bike than some, stiffer than the Hondas.. Lots of aftermarket as the bike has been unchanged since '08. I ride single track and burl jeep roads on mine all the time. Is it the best bike for that? No, but I just don't know any better and it seems to work.
    Cool, thanks. I had written most Yamaha's off as seat heights seemed to be universally be close to 38" except for their small dual sports. But the 2020 and older are 36.6 which is the same stock height as my XR400. I'm not seeing many WR250Rs in CA, and a couple I do see are owners who tried to import from other states and DMV wouldn't register them.

Should add to my requirements - low seat height since I'm not tall. The XR is at 36 right now before sag when I sit on it and that's too tall, can barely touch one tippy toe when stopped. The bikes I mentioned above all start at 35" or less so I could easily get them down to 32-33" with a lowering link and/or shaving the seat. Also needs to be CA plated.

Was planning to get rid of 230L and XR and replace both with something more powerful/capable than the 230L, shorter than the XR and a lot newer than both (08 and 98).

Cool, thanks. I had written most Yamaha's off as seat heights seemed to be universally be close to 38" except for their small dual sports. But the 2020 and older are 36.6 which is the same stock height as my XR400. I'm not seeing many WR250Rs in CA, and a couple I do see are owners who tried to import from other states and DMV wouldn't register them.

Should add to my requirements - low seat height since I'm not tall. The XR is at 36 right now before sag when I sit on it and that's too tall, can barely touch one tippy toe when stopped. The bikes I mentioned above all start at 35" or less so I could easily get them down to 32-33" with a lowering link and/or shaving the seat. Also needs to be CA plated.

Was planning to get rid of 230L and XR and replace both with something more powerful/capable than the 230L, shorter than the XR and a lot newer than both (08 and 98).
    Beta?
    Didn't read your earlier requirements though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

The WR250R is street legal from the factory and shouldn't have a problem getting registered, but I'm not really sure what CA's regs are. Maybe emissions prevent it? But I would think it'd be grandfathered in as they've been built the same for that reason since 2008.

As far as seat height, yeah, they are tall, even for me at 6'2" but you can easily add a lowering link mod that will take it down a bit. It is pretty common. I think it takes it from 36.6" to ~35".

COlman has a CRF300L and I rode his a little. It is still more "street" than the WR. Softer suspension, lower seat, wider, (maybe heavier?) but rides nice. I think the biggest change I'd make in that would be stiffer suspension.

I've got a 29" inseam and a stock height KTM 525 was perfectly manageable, I can't imagine the WR is any taller. Off-road bikes are light enough that it doesn't take a whole lot to balance them out; my 1150 was a bit of a different animal and I learned pretty quickly both to pick a side and commit and to let it go if I realized I had picked wrong.

You don't need both feet on the ground at the same time unless an external force is acting side to side on the bike (eg a passenger getting on and off). YMMV, but I found it preferable to learn to ride taller bikes than to reduce their capabilities just because I'm height-challenged.

For encouragement, look up Gaston Rahier:

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I've got a 29" inseam and a stock height KTM 525 was perfectly manageable, I can't imagine the WR is any taller. Off-road bikes are light enough that it doesn't take a whole lot to balance them out; my 1150 was a bit of a different animal and I learned pretty quickly both to pick a side and commit and to let it go if I realized I had picked wrong.

You don't need both feet on the ground at the same time unless an external force is acting side to side on the bike (eg a passenger getting on and off). YMMV, but I found it preferable to learn to ride taller bikes than to reduce their capabilities just because I'm height-challenged.

For encouragement, look up Gaston Rahier:

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app
    Depends on what type of riding one does me thinks. Hard Enduro no touchy, make for very difficult times Danielsun.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

https://youtu.be/-yCGAE7ihY8

Jocelyn Snow is the best example of a short rider on big bikes, imo.

I have short legs even though I’m 6’1 and struggle to get both feet down on taller bikes

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Heading to the swell environs this weekend. Anyone wanna ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    That is absurd

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    Heading to the swell environs this weekend. Anyone wanna ride?
    I wish.

TW200. Apart from that gutless wonder which I do highly recommend, lowering links and slide forks up a smidge.