Page 7 of 151 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    Head on a swivel - I know where every car is around me and their relation to me. It's as much my responsibility not to get hit as it is theirs not to hit me.
    Drivers have a responsibility to PAY ATTENTION - just this morning I'm on the bike rush-hour, I come out of the end of the car-pool lane back into the madness - guy to my right, fiddling with his phone or something on the seat - car in front of him suddenly brakes - SMASH! right into her, 5 feet from me - more work for the body shops - cause? SELF-DISTRACTION

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by train07
    I know Buzz will appreciate this one....1974 CB 750 four....she runs as good as she looks

The year I was born, right on!! Great shape, I approve.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Thumbs up

Loud pipes save lives. Seriously, I have deterred more folks from sideswiping me inadvertently by blipping my motor and "yelling" at them.
    I like that fact too, as well as the low ridin pimp daddies who blast their "boom, car rattles, boom, boom, boom" who can't hear you till you rev the bitch up.

I have been ridin into work over last week and this week is looking good for weather. Low 40's on the way in, low 70's on the way home and sunny!

Bad thing about loud pipes, the boss can hear me ride into work late.

Good tips there Tip!

Best part of loud pipes: They set off car alarms...

I don't buy the loud pipes save lives argument. You realize that at about 40 mph you are outrunning the noise from your pipes?

There are drivers out there that find fire engines with air-horns, lights and mechanical sirens completely invisible, you can't tell me that these drivers see your motorcycle because of loud pipes.

It's more about being next to them and reminding them you're there.

It's more about being next to them and reminding them you're there.
    Yep, like at an intersection where the car next to you wants to pull off the line real quick and get in front of you to promptly make a right turn into some store. You have to make yourself known.

I already had some lady in a big pickup pull right out in front of me and I skidded the back tire. I rode by and shook my head at her and she was all red in the face and looked like she did not do it on purpose. She did not see me. But I saw her and figured that could happen, but she did it way last minute.

Hell, at 40 mph, I can't even hear myself think. You are right on that account.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    I skidded the back tire.
    FRONT BRAKE NOOB!

Is there really a front brake? Who knew?

I was moving, you would have laid down some rubber too. (oh shit, slow pitch to phUnk, never a good idea)

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    I was moving, you would have laid down some rubber too.
    Negative Ghostrider. The front brake does about 90% of the work during a hard stop, so using the rear brake in that situation is just asking to lock it up.

Besides, if I ever need to really stop quickly, I just drag my flip-flops. Duh.

318 curves in 11 miles. Unfortunately it's a damn Zoo these days, with Squids all over the place. Best time to ride is at Dawn because the idiots are still sleeping off the booze.
    C'mon Tipp, you're gonna haul all the way down to TN when you've got the entire state of WV as your playground?
    Last edited by bagtagley; 04-25-2006 at 05:47 PM.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    Negative Ghostrider. The front brake does about 90% of the work during a hard stop, so using the rear brake in that situation is just asking to lock it up.

Besides, if I ever need to really stop quickly, I just drag my flip-flops. Duh.
    more like 60-80%. staged braking by an experienced rider on both front and rear brakes is the way to go.

now quit being lame and put up some pics of your bike phunk.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    more like 60-80%. staged braking by an experienced rider on both front and rear brakes is the way to go.
    Tell that to the superheros. Going into the carousel at Mid-Ohio, I didn't see a rear wheel even touching the ground. The Hayden brothers would have the rear end swung around, with the bike half-way into the turn before the rear hit tarmack again.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley
    Tell that to the superheros. Going into the carousel at Mid-Ohio, I didn't see a rear wheel even touching the ground. The Hayden brothers would have the rear end swung around, with the bike half-way into the turn before the rear hit tarmack again.
    you're right. there's a lot of different opinions on the subject, and when you throw in more factors such as skill level and what not, the opinions vary even more. would be cool if we could elaborate on this subject, debate it, and learn from the different perspectives.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    you're right. there's a lot of different opinions on the subject, and when you throw in more factors such as skill level and what not, the opinions vary even more. would be cool if we could elaborate on this subject, debate it, and learn from the different perspectives.
    Man, the whole braking thing is gnarly, I've got 3 yrs and prolly 15K miles under my belt, I'm no expert, not even close. But, I've got a buddy who races club here in WA, he's the number 4 plate holder and a pretty damned fast rider. We talk on occasion about all sorts of shit and I'm a way better rider for having talked w/ him. Some of the principles I've learned are:
    -You want to brake as much as possible while still straight up. Braking when leaned over can be a problem.
    -try to touch the rear before grabbing the front
    -squeeze the front, don't grab
    -practice blipping the throttle while sqeezing front brake- this helps to keep from locking the rear (match RPM's w/ rear wheel speed, racers will run a slipper clutch that makes it even less likely to lock a rear)
    -as you lay is over start releasing brake, it should be fully released half way through corner (what I call trail braking)
    -Lastly, practice, practice, PRACTICE

Braking is the hardest thing about riding. I've done a few track days and its amazing what experienced riders can do going into a corner. To be on the brakes and have a guy fly past you and not brake for 40 feet past where you're braking is crazy. I'd love to hear any other thoughts or experiences riders w/ more miles under their belt have...

Which one of you pussies wants to race?

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

My current ride, pics not of mine since I'm too fucking tired to go take a pic. I'm also too fucking old to start riding MX but I'm too stupid to care. Got my ass kicked by a twelve year old on an 80 this weekend. Also, doubles are freaking scary. [/Giant Wussbag]

Quote Originally Posted by 1080Rider
    Man, the whole braking thing is gnarly, I've got 3 yrs and prolly 15K miles under my belt, I'm no expert, not even close. But, I've got a buddy who races club here in WA, he's the number 4 plate holder and a pretty damned fast rider. We talk on occasion about all sorts of shit and I'm a way better rider for having talked w/ him. Some of the principles I've learned are:
    -You want to brake as much as possible while still straight up. Braking when leaned over can be a problem.
    -try to touch the rear before grabbing the front
    -squeeze the front, don't grab
    -practice blipping the throttle while sqeezing front brake- this helps to keep from locking the rear (match RPM's w/ rear wheel speed, racers will run a slipper clutch that makes it even less likely to lock a rear)
    -as you lay is over start releasing brake, it should be fully released half way through corner (what I call trail braking)
    -Lastly, practice, practice, PRACTICE

Braking is the hardest thing about riding. I've done a few track days and its amazing what experienced riders can do going into a corner. To be on the brakes and have a guy fly past you and not brake for 40 feet past where you're braking is crazy. I'd love to hear any other thoughts or experiences riders w/ more miles under their belt have...

Yeah, I have 7 years, about 20,000K experience, but yeah, I need to get used to this bike a lot more. It is set up so different from my others.

And I did the same scenario yesterday and did not lock up, applied much more front and no skid.

Got another 150 miles in the last 2 days of practice in though.

Yeah, I need to practice some scenarios with this much larger bike. I was told 70% by Utah Riders Education for the front brake. I think it just has to do with the bike and how used to it you are. I only have about 500 miles on this bike so far as the rider.

I didn't want to let this thread die, so I had no choice but to pick this up last Friday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

Quote Originally Posted by orlowskij
    I didn't want to let this thread die, so I had no choice but to pick this up last Friday.
    I love those bikes....looking forward to my opportunity to pick one up.

They're not merely blipping the throttle, 1080, but downshifting. You blip the throttle so that the high compression motors don't cause the wheel to slow down too much. This became more popular/necessary when Ducati started racing their Vtwins in Superbike.

The relatively recent Slipper Clutch alleviates this need, so we can all stop doing the YingYingYing while coming to a stopsign. Not too many bikes have them standard yet, however. i know the literbikes from the big manufacturers do (led by Kawasaki on the ZX10R a year ago) but have no idea whether the smaller 600's do too.

Oh, and look out, Huyabusa. You're about to get bitchslapped....

Kawasaki ZX14R

Loud pipes save lives.
    No, no, no. As has been mentioned, most of the sound is going behind you, where it does no good.

Besides, loud pipes make cagers angry and make them pass anti-motorcycle laws and not convict drivers of manslaughter when they kill motorcyclists. I ride, and it pisses me off too when I am awakened by Harleys with straight pipes roaring by five blocks away.

Good, loud aftermarket horns will help. Stock horns are generally weight-saving devices that sound like a child's bicycle. Here is a good resource:
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/

They're not merely blipping the throttle, 1080, but downshifting. You blip the throttle so that the high compression motors don't cause the wheel to slow down too much. This became more popular/necessary when Ducati started racing their Vtwins in Superbike.

The relatively recent Slipper Clutch alleviates this need, so we can all stop doing the YingYingYing while coming to a stopsign. Not too many bikes have them standard yet, however. i know the literbikes from the big manufacturers do (led by Kawasaki on the ZX10R a year ago) but have no idea whether the smaller 600's do too.
    Sorry tipp, that's what I meant, blip the throttle while downshifting, I wasn't really clear. I'd love to put a slipper clutch in my bike. I've had the back end skip around a little on me while slowing from high speeds. A little unnerving but I'm used to it now and pretty much do the slipper clutchin' myself. But it would be nice to drop two gears going into a corner then dump the clutch safely (my buddy will just hammer two gears on his race bikes then dump the clutch w/out a worry in the world- I'd end up being punted off my bike).

Ducati has had a slipper clutch in the monster 620 for a couple of years. Pretty cool feature for a starter bike, but they don't have slippers in any other bike...

Orlowski- sweet bike. My buddy has a regular sv and he loves it. He kind of wants a little more hp but all in all its been a great bike for him.

Ya, for my first street bike I think its perfect. I've been racing mx for a few years and it just felt natural to hop on the SV and take off. I took it for a 120 mile spin Sunday morning and wasn't dissapointed. Now I just have to finish 2 more damn finals so I can go home and ride it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS