Page 120 of 151 FirstFirst ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 ... LastLast
Results 2,976 to 3,000 of 3764
    Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    All the "winners" of hard Enduro might be on 300s. Go to a Endurocross event and you'll see the same riders on a 350. So it isn't so easy.

Regardless, much like my 3 buddies, you can ride a moto that looks like a hard Enduro racer owns it but likely you have 5% of the skills of those champions.

Same goes for a lot of 450 riders who look great in the parking lot. Best bike for the track I'm sure but...

Same goes for whatever bad ass powder ski that some Joey rocks at Vail.

Whatever makes you happy but know that some dork on less superior equipment is gonna blow your doors off.
    I mean... sure? My point was more than for the purpose at hand, a 300 2T is hard to beat. And there's a reason why many choose that platform. Or maybe you just have an inferiority complex or something to prove? Not sure. FTR, I own both, so no dog in this fight - only what I see out where it matters.

But you do you. If that 350 blows your hair back; git sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Somebody needs to come out with a 3 stroke engine to settle all these 2 vs 4 stroke arguments among dirtbikers. Yeesh.
    Or... own both.

Anyone have any suggestions for what motorcycle I should get? I have a TU250x right now that's fun for putting around the city, but I don't really want to take it on the highway. Looking for one do-it-all bike. Not sure what my riding will look like but for sure some combo of:
    - City riding for coffee and donuts
    - 15 mile commute each way on WA-520 to work
    - Mountain loop highway?
    - Olympic Peninsula light touring, some dirt? Not super interested in singletrack...for now.
    - Oregon Coast light touring (maybe 2up? but probably would just rent a bike for that)

I know I can't have it all, but I've been looking at:
    - Ducati Scrambler
    - Honda CB500X
    - BMW G310GS

Looks are important to me...not really interested in a dual sport bike...speaking of does anyone in the PNW load up their dirt bike to access ski lines in the spring? Is that even a worthwhile endeavor cause it sounds fun.

If the BMW can hold it's own on the highway and with the rally raid upgrades it sounds like a good bike. The CB500X also seems good, but just seems...boring. Obviously the Ducati is cool, but the price is high (tho I found a mint one for $6k) and no wind/rain protection. If price was no object I'd also look at the Tenere 700 and Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC/XE, but I don't really want a bike that big for around the city (which will be most of my riding anyways...).

Budget is hopefully around $6k.

CB500X or F would be great for all of that, but pretty limited for dirt. It's a street bike.

My GF has an X and I have an F. They are not exciting, unless you like getting 65mpg while absolutely caning your motorcycle at 75mph up the Sierra while loaded with big bags and a bicycle on the back. Maintenance intervals are like a modern Honda car. I have had a bunch of motos but love the little CB for its stunning practicality. We've even done a decent amount of 2-up riding on hers, but we're only 275# together.

If you value style over reliability, fuel economy, cost, and maintenance, the Ducati is an obvious choice. The 310 is a weird one. It's not nice like the bigger beemers, and it's not cheap like a CB or even a WR250R.
    Last edited by climberevan; 10-05-2021 at 10:40 PM.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by thejongiest View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions for what motorcycle I should get? I have a TU250x right now that's fun for putting around the city, but I don't really want to take it on the highway. Looking for one do-it-all bike. Not sure what my riding will look like but for sure some combo of:
    - Mountain loop highway?
    - Olympic Peninsula light touring, some dirt? Not super interested in singletrack...for now.
    - Oregon Coast light touring (maybe 2up? but probably would just rent a bike for that)

- Ducati Scrambler
    - Honda CB500X
    - BMW G310GS

Looks are important to me...not really interested in a dual sport bike...speaking of does anyone in the PNW load up their dirt bike to access ski lines in the spring? Is that even a worthwhile endeavor cause it sounds fun.

If the BMW can hold it's own on the highway and with the rally raid upgrades it sounds like a good bike. The CB500X also seems good, but just seems...boring. Obviously the Ducati is cool, but the price is high (tho I found a mint one for $6k) and no wind/rain protection. If price was no object I'd also look at the Tenere 700 and Triumph Scrambler 1200 XC/XE, but I don't really want a bike that big for around the city (which will be most of my riding anyways...).

Looking for a bike with dual sport capabilities, cares about looks, doesn't want a dual sport.

Are you that dumb? Maybe just learn to ride a street bike on gravel.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Looking for a bike with dual sport capabilities, cares about looks, doesn't want a dual sport.

Are you that dumb? Maybe just learn to ride a street bike on gravel.
    Not everything has to be about the most optimized best functional thing ever.

I care about looks and I don’t care for how dual sports look. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    CB500X or F would be great for all of that, but pretty limited for dirt. It's a street bike.

My GF has an X and I have an F. They are not exciting, unless you like getting 65mpg while absolutely caning your motorcycle at 75mph up the Sierra while loaded with big bags and a bicycle on the back. Maintenance intervals are like a modern Honda car. I have had a bunch of motos but love the little CB for its stunning practicality. We've even done a decent amount of 2-up riding on hers, but we're only 275# together.

If you value style over reliability, fuel economy, cost, and maintenance, the Ducati is an obvious choice. The 310 is a weird one. It's not nice like the bigger beemers, and it's not cheap like a CB or even a WR250R.
    The 310 is actually relatively affordable. Starts in at $6.2k I think? Which is below the Honda. I know the Honda pretty much fits the bill for me though.

I think I just need to go take a test ride. Finding a new Honda CB500X seems difficult right now though.

Maggot motorcycle stoke thread

Anyone have any suggestions for what motorcycle I should get?

You, sir, are looking for a Suzuki VStrom DL650.

Highway cruiser with forest road chops. Tons of aftermarket support. Decent looks especially in the XT form which is a little more beaky and has spoked wheels. You should easily find one for under $6k.

It’ll cruise at 90 on the interstate all day but still tackle decent trails, I certainly flogged mine on some dirt bike trails I had no business on. Good handling and easy to load up for adv camping too.

- Mountain loop highway?

- Ducati Scrambler
    - Honda CB500X
    - BMW G310GS

While looks are definitely important, I cannot fathom why anybody would want to ride highway speed for any duration over 15 minutes without a proper windscreen. The wind at 50mph+ beats you down.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    Looks like a nice option for what he's looking to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    While looks are definitely important, I cannot fathom why anybody would want to ride highway speed for any duration over 15 minutes without a proper windscreen. The wind at 50mph+ beats you down.
    You should feel it at 130.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I've never found a windscreen setup that doesn't just create lots of horrible buffeting, but I've never ridden a true luxe touring bike. For me, the ones that come on bikes like the CB500X, R1100GS, R1100R, KLR, Tenere, DL650, and others that I've tried just dump dirty air at my chin. So I take them off and get clean air, which is loud and lame but better that the buffeting. Highway riding is a necessary evil in my mind though--I get onto smaller roads whenever possible.

I agree that the DL650 is a great answer. It's a torquier, more fun motor than the CB500, but it doesn't offer quite the absurd mileage and lack of maintenance requirements.

Motos are ultimately like skis and bicycles: one needs a quiver.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I would love a quiver of bikes. Keep the 250 for the city, get a bigger bike for the slab, and then a 250 dirt bike to trailer to the trails. But time money and space….

The V-Strom 650 is the classic answer of course, I should test ride one as well, but it doesn’t get me excited.

As a current owner of eight bikes, spanning nearly every discipline, I think I can help. ...

- Mountain loop highway?

- Ducati Scrambler
    - Honda CB500X
    - BMW G310GS

Yes to the Scrambler and the CB. No to the BMW. The two former are great if very different. You'll get all the cool things with a Ducati in the Scrambler, and the Honda CB will be reliable as a hammer, with the personality of a sewing machine. Both will be fine on gravel.

The BMW is a budget bike with all components built to that budget. It is not built in Germany and you'll know it. The G bikes are built for emerging markets and those with engine size restrictions. I think you'll find it lacking in nearly every aspect quite quickly.

This. All of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post

Highway cruiser with forest road chops. Tons of aftermarket support. Decent looks especially in the XT form which is a little more beaky and has spoked wheels. You should easily find one for under $6k.

It’ll cruise at 90 on the interstate all day but still tackle decent trails, I certainly flogged mine on some dirt bike trails I had no business on. Good handling and easy to load up for adv camping too.
    While a practical option, I place it in the same category as the CB. It'll do the think, and it's only a small step up from a KLR.

I've never found a windscreen setup that doesn't just create lots of horrible buffeting, but I've never ridden a true luxe touring bike. For me, the ones that come on bikes like the CB500X, R1100GS, R1100R, KLR, Tenere, DL650, and others that I've tried just dump dirty air at my chin. So I take them off and get clean air, which is loud and lame but better that the buffeting. Highway riding is a necessary evil in my mind though--I get onto smaller roads whenever possible.

I agree that the DL650 is a great answer. It's a torquier, more fun motor than the CB500, but it doesn't offer quite the absurd mileage and lack of maintenance requirements.

Motos are ultimately like skis and bicycles: one needs a quiver.
    Same. It's more about your upper body position as dictated by the bike than it is the windscreen. For example, my Ducati Hypermotard put you bolt upright and windblast is for sure a thing. Whereas on my Multistrada 1200, you're a bit pitched forward, so wind blast is less of a thing, but still a thing. Then compare those to my Aprilia Tuono where you are in a much more aggressive and forward lean, giving you a far lessened impact with windblast.

I've found over the years that you should either have as little of windscreen as possible or go full barndoor a la Goldwing, with a windscreen that's tall than your helmet. Anything in between will give you weird and hard to troubleshoot wind buffeting issues.

I would love a quiver of bikes. Keep the 250 for the city, get a bigger bike for the slab, and then a 250 dirt bike to trailer to the trails. But time money and space….

The V-Strom 650 is the classic answer of course, I should test ride one as well, but it doesn’t get me excited.
    This, even if the we-Strom is a decent choice. Get what blows your hair back.

Go out and test ride some bikes at various dealers. It's a pain in the ass to make the arrangements to do so, but well worth the effort. After whittling down my choices online for a new bike this year I test rode 4 bikes in the segment and as soon as I rode the one that I eventually bought I knew it was what I wanted. Unlike Sig above I'm a one bike guy (like you seem to be) 'cause I can't keep up with one bike lest eight. Be honest with yourself how much city street vs. dirt road vs. highway riding you will do. What looks coolest won't always suit what you want to do.
    There will be compromises with each one but one will talk to you. If the Soozook doesn't light your wick, go find the one that does. If it has to be new and you can expand your price point to 10K a whole world opens up. Below 8K you're limited unless you look at used.

A vstrom doesn't excite anyone, but that are just damn good.

I've had hundreds of bikes (seriously, worked in a shop, had my own shop and flipped bikes all the time) from a new bmw R1200gs, many amazing Ducatis, tricked out RC51, all kinds of sport bikes, dual sports and classics.

I am 53, can't have weight on my wrists anymore from skateboarding/snowboarding/ice hockey crashes. I have a 2008 dl650 I got cheap to flip as I didn't expect to like it 4 years later I am still riding it and can't find a reason to replace it.
    I hate that I don't hate it as I don't think it looks great, the sound and visceral aspects do nothing for me. But every time I ride it, I realize how 1) perfectly it fits me with the ergo mods I did 2) easy it is to ride 3) capable it is (Twisties, hwy, around town, etc)
    I end to like extreme bikes, but having this sleeper is fun. I don't need Ducati sound and power and looks to have a good time .

Upgraded brakes, front end and peg/bar/windshield (ultra low) mods and it's perfect. And I'm into it barely any $$$, and it's stone reliable.

A friend is willing to sell me his mint KTM 1190 adv for dirt cheap, but I can't find a reason to take it over the vstrom.

Maybe I have become the stereotype of the old guy with a hi viz aerostich and modular helmet on a vstrom singing it's virtues (although I have no 'stich or modular) but I am more surprised that I love this Honda civic of a bike than anyone.

Ymmv.

Go out and test ride some bikes at various dealers. It's a pain in the ass to make the arrangements to do so, but well worth the effort. After whittling down my choices online for a new bike this year I test rode 4 bikes in the segment and as soon as I rode the one that I eventually bought I knew it was what I wanted. Unlike Sig above I'm a one bike guy (like you seem to be) 'cause I can't keep up with one bike lest eight. Be honest with yourself how much city street vs. dirt road vs. highway riding you will do. What looks coolest won't always suit what you want to do.
    There will be compromises with each one but one will talk to you. If the Soozook doesn't light your wick, go find the one that does. If it has to be new and you can expand your price point to 10K a whole world opens up. Below 8K you're limited unless you look at used.
    Yeah I need to do that. Or rent one for a weekend and take it out. The problem is I don't really know how much city street vs. dirt vs. highway I will actually do. That will take time. A CB500X would probably let me figure out what I like to do most and I could go from there. I definitely don't think I'd enjoy the Duc Scrambler on the highway.

Whatever you get don't get one of these:
    Name:  img_fea_vino_momDad.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  94.3 KB

or these:
    Name:  can-am-spyder-02.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  75.3 KB

but these are cool:
    Name:  d77bd1081e2f85f933029e62145403ee.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  28.5 KB

Yeah I need to do that. Or rent one for a weekend and take it out. The problem is I don't really know how much city street vs. dirt vs. highway I will actually do. That will take time. A CB500X would probably let me figure out what I like to do most and I could go from there. I definitely don't think I'd enjoy the Duc Scrambler on the highway.
    You'll be surprised by the Ducati on the highway. And I can tell you that your local Ducati shop will let you test ride. Take them up on it. If you're down here, I'll introduce you to all the guys at MotoCorsa (which would be a far better buying experience than the Seattle area shops).

I owned a Scrambler for a couple of years. Did a bunch of gravel roads but it’s definitely not built for anything burley. It’s also too expensive to drop. Haha

An absolute blast to ride, though, and stylish as fuck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5255.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	388090

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    You'll be surprised by the Ducati on the highway. And I can tell you that your local Ducati shop will let you test ride. Take them up on it. If you're down here, I'll introduce you to all the guys at MotoCorsa (which would be a far better buying experience than the Seattle area shops).
    I would move to Portland in a heartbeat if there was a career for me there. Lived there for a summer and loved it. I think my next step will be taking some test rides.

but these are cool:
    Name:  d77bd1081e2f85f933029e62145403ee.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  28.5 KB
    Trying to talk the wife into one of these someday. 2wd

^ I went to an estate sale about 10 yrs ago and there was an old Ural w/ sidecar up for bid, maybe 60's vintage that needed some work. The wife was egging me to bid on it, but I knew next to nothing about them and I would have been bidding blind, so I passed.

Jongy, if you're into the retro look, team green has some interesting street bikes. I rode a Z900RS on a demo day this spring and it's really a nice bike--fit and finish are top notch. The 900 may be a bit rich for your stated budget but they just came out with a 650 for 9K, which if it's anything like a mini 900 could be a nice bike.

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/bik...-look-preview/

Wide doesn't know that she'll still be riding on the back. Sidecar is for the pup.

And she can help push on the steeper hills!

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Wide doesn't know that she'll still be riding on the back. Sidecar is for the pup.
    Just know that, unless your pup is a really big one, handling is likely to be horrible with two adults on the bike and a lighter passenger in the tub.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app