Page 30 of 151 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    i say stick with a buell but look away from the bolt.

check out the lighting xb12Ss or xb12TT. both are a longer frame and not quite as steep a head angle as the bolt. the TT has a higher front fender and comes with tires that are somewhat offroad capable (like maybe fire roads). the position of both bikes is more comfortable for longer trips, though there is pretty much no fairing on either. if you want a more comfortable bike for longer trips and with a bigger fairing, check out the Ulysses.

also for the buells check around, i found a 2006 xb12s with 11 miles on it and got $1500 off. i really wanted the longer xb12ss, but it was hard to pass up the deal. there werent many changes from 2006 to 2007, so you wont be missing out on much. also, i think tomorrow at the buell homecoming, they are announcing the 2008 models. once that happens, you should be able to talk price with the dealers on 2007s (unless there is a 2008 you just need).
    Edit: sounds like there might be a 1125 cc water cooled 72 deg vtwin bolt coming for next year called the buell 1125R

there is a pretty good buell forum, bad weather bikers with answers to all things buell.

no matter what, if you are buying a bike, you will have payments, so get what you really want to ride for a few years.
    Last edited by fez; 07-07-2007 at 09:30 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    I ride around the city. I ride canyon roads in the mountains outside of the city. I commute on freeways. I ride long straight desert roads.
    For those requirements, check out:

2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    2007 Yamaha FZ1
    2007 Honda 919

Sounds like you want a bike that handles well with some touring capability, and is torquey everywhere on the dial. Any of the bikes above will do that quite well. The new Bandit has been getting great reviews in the mags, and has an attractive price tag as well.
    Last edited by boarderline; 07-08-2007 at 03:02 AM.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

A little R6 action anyone?
    First Chair.....Last Call.....

Quote Originally Posted by pault View Post
    A little R6 action anyone?
    Sharp looking bike
    The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    Edit: sounds like there might be a 1125 cc water cooled 72 deg vtwin bolt coming for next year called the buell 1125R

Damn. Might need to buy another Buell!

Quote Originally Posted by boarderline View Post
    For those requirements, check out:

2007 Suzuki Bandit 1250
    2007 Yamaha FZ1
    2007 Honda 919

Sounds like you want a bike that handles well with some touring capability, and is torquey everywhere on the dial. Any of the bikes above will do that quite well. The new Bandit has been getting great reviews in the mags, and has an attractive price tag as well.
    not to sound too abrasive but I like motorcycles to shake and sound like a motorcycle (as opposed to a vacuum or a formula one car or a civic with a farttube) so japanese inline fours are out. It's a shame all those bikes sound like shit because I'd be all over 'em otherwise.

and re: the new buell....seems like they're moving away from what makes buell attractive to me: loud, shaking, thumping air cooled american v twin in a good handling chassis. Take the thumpy motor away and there's no reason not to buy a honda.
    Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 07-08-2007 at 05:09 PM.

not to sound too abrasive but I like motorcycles to shake and sound like a motorcycle (as opposed to a vacuum or a formula one car or a civic with a farttube) so japanese inline fours are out. It's a shame all those bikes sound like shit because I'd be all over 'em otherwise.

and re: the new buell....seems like they're moving away from what makes buell attractive to me: loud, shaking, thumping air cooled american v twin in a good handling chassis. Take the thumpy motor away and there's no reason not to buy a honda.
    look at the bright side, once the new models get out, you can probably pick up an '07 bolt pretty cheap.

edit: actually, i just looked at the buell site. the new '08 bikes are up. the 1125R is the only real change and the xb12r firebolt is back pretty much unchanged. i dont think the plan is to put the 1125 motor in all the bikes, i just think they want to actually race and be somewhat competitive.
    Last edited by fez; 07-08-2007 at 11:15 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

not to sound too abrasive but I like motorcycles to shake and sound like a motorcycle (as opposed to a vacuum or a formula one car or a civic with a farttube)
    Isn't that what V-twins are for?

Everything you're looking at except the Buell is going to handle like a bag of ass compared to any modern V-twin. You can pick up a used VTR1000 or SV1000 for relatively short money, and they'll do everything better than a Buell except shake your fillings out.

Myself, I'm still lamenting the gradual crapification of the VFR750.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    You can pick up a used VTR1000 or SV1000 for relatively short money, and they'll do everything better than a Buell except shake your fillings out...
    Ever ridden a Buell? The low-end grunt is what that bike's all about - canyon riding is waaaaaay better with 80+ft/lbs of torque, and the frame/suspension/brakes on the Buells is not comparable to a 15yo detuned sportbike. Hell, Suzuki's TL1000S was a better attempt at a V-Twin sportbike.

Not a motorcycle, but with a 750 v-twin it sounds like one...and truthfully it's a whole shit pile of fun.
    750 Brute Force Kawy
    Last edited by flatlander#2; 07-09-2007 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ULLRismyco-pilot View Post
    I think "sport touring" is the class.

Any suggestions?????
    Chiming in as a proud parent of 01 sv650s. Among all the other advantages of the bike already mentioned is that you can also lay it down twice and live to post on TGR about it.

Other viable options would be a Ninja 250/500.

Also, invest in riding gear. Fwiw riding gear does not = shorts, flip flops, sunglasses and backwards cap.

EDIT: Ambiguity removed, good call fez.
    Last edited by wi3dzmin; 07-09-2007 at 09:31 PM.
    We're sorta like 7-Eleven. We're not always doing business, but we're always open.

Quote Originally Posted by wi3dzmin View Post
    Also, don't be an idiot and invest in riding gear. Fwiw riding gear does not = shorts, flip flops, sunglasses and backwards cap.
    did you really mean

Quote Originally Posted by wi3dzmin View Post
    Also, don't be an idiot, invest in riding gear. Fwiw riding gear does not = shorts, flip flops, sunglasses and backwards cap.
    actually im not sure if that should be a comma or a semi-colon, but it read weird before.
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Ever ridden a Buell?
    Yes.

The low-end grunt is what that bike's all about - canyon riding is waaaaaay better with 80+ft/lbs of torque, and the frame/suspension/brakes on the Buells is not comparable to a 15yo detuned sportbike. Hell, Suzuki's TL1000S was a better attempt at a V-Twin sportbike.
    I think you're thinking of the VFR1000, which is a 20+ year old V-4, not the VTR1000, which was a V-twin introduced in late 1998 and manufactured up until ~2005. The 2001 and later bike is the one to buy.

Anyway, yes, the Buell was entertaining to ride for a short time: it's so narrow that it basically feels like a big, heavy dirtbike. The torque makes you feel like "Wow, this bike is fast!" until you actually try to rev it out and realize that the big low end is all you get and you're tapped out already. The shifting, however, was absolutely agricultural. Plus I felt like I was riding a washing machine, which is entertaining for about the first four miles and a literal pain in the ass after that, not to mention making the mirrors useless.

As far as suspension, the Japanese bikes had it all over the Buell. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't as well sorted. My impression was that Buell did a great job considering the constraints of the motor, but there's a well-integrated smoothness about the Japanese bikes that makes them a pleasure to ride all day. Since I did more than one multi-week motorcycle tour, this is important to me.

Did someone say v-twin?

I saw one of these on the road the other day. Victory Jackpot:

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    I believe they did....

~1000 Mile CO Loop

Figured I start here before starting a new thread. Anyway, my boss is looking to do a 5 day 1000 mile loop through CO and I was telling him how sweet SW CO is. Once a year him and his wife hop on the bike and ride. Last year they did a trip from Portland, Mt. Hood, Bend, then down the Deschutes to the Columbia and back to Portland. Aside from just riding, they would like a loop that is scenic. He’s spent plenty of time riding in the mountains, but said he would rather not ride on gravel. They are looking to hotel it with maybe a day or two at a nicer place (was thinking something like the hot springs in Ouray) and average ~200 miles per day.

You guys got any ideas? I was thinking Denver > Glenwood Springs > Carbondale/Aspen (stay) > Delta (via 133& 92) > Montrose > Ouray (stay) > Silverton > Durango > South Fork > Lake City (stay) > Gunnison > Buena Vista (stay) > Fairplay > Breckenridge/SuCo (stay) > Denver
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

I'd do the loop through RMNP, but that's prolly crowded as fuck right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Spats View Post
    Yes.

I think you're thinking of the VFR1000, which is a 20+ year old V-4, not the VTR1000, which was a V-twin introduced in late 1998 and manufactured up until ~2005. The 2001 and later bike is the one to buy.

Anyway, yes, the Buell was entertaining to ride for a short time: it's so narrow that it basically feels like a big, heavy dirtbike. The torque makes you feel like "Wow, this bike is fast!" until you actually try to rev it out and realize that the big low end is all you get and you're tapped out already. The shifting, however, was absolutely agricultural. Plus I felt like I was riding a washing machine, which is entertaining for about the first four miles and a literal pain in the ass after that, not to mention making the mirrors useless.

As far as suspension, the Japanese bikes had it all over the Buell. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't as well sorted. My impression was that Buell did a great job considering the constraints of the motor, but there's a well-integrated smoothness about the Japanese bikes that makes them a pleasure to ride all day. Since I did more than one multi-week motorcycle tour, this is important to me.
    when did you ride one, or i guess more importantly, what model was it?

the shifting is still 'agricultural' for sure, you have to mean it and it does slow down the acceleration since it takes a bit longer to shift. probably my one complaint about my buell is i wish it was a 6 speed.

stock, for the first couple hundred feet off the line not many bikes will beat the buell. full quarter mile or top end, there are plenty that will beat it. add a micron exhaust, race ecm and breather filter and you can easily add 20 hp to the XB12 motor. though it stil redlines at 6800 with a top speed of 135 or so.

the XB buells vibrate like hell under 3k rpm, but once they get above that they are smooth.

but the XB series buells have a very well sorted suspension. fully adjustable Showa 43mm inverted forks, and a fully adjustable Showa coil over rear lets you set the suspension exactly how you want it. combined with a low center of gravity, low unsprung mass, tight head angles and short wheel base, the buell xbs are cornering machines. the power band is very wide and will pull you out of corners faster than most v4 sport bikes. added to being able to go into the corners faster because of the superior handling, you can drop just about anyone in the corners. but once you get to the straights, be prepared to get your dorrs blown off.

ive owned a few bikes, norton commando, bmw r75/5, suzuki gs850, honda interceptor 500, and yamaha fzr 1000. and now a buell lightning xb12s. the fzr was FAR faster in a straight line, but the buell is much more fun and handles corners better. probably the only bike i have owned that was nearly as much fun was the interceptor, but that was mostly because it was so light you could throw it around however you wanted.

and by the way, if you are interested in long touring and use that as a reason not to get a buell, check out the Buell XB12X Ulysses

Ben Franklin

I'd do the loop through RMNP, but that's prolly crowded as fuck right now.
    Agreed, and the reason I was thinking about avoiding it.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

Anyone using a bluetooth system in their helmet?
    Since my commute got longer, I'm thinking about getting one for phone and music...
    any opinions on the various brands?

I was thinking about using BT for my phone and tunes, but I like to hear what is around me to better keep me alive and I think my bike is too loud for that anyway. I really don't need to be on the phone on a motorcycle anyway.

I rock the iPod on the uphill in the BC, but not downhill. I like to hear what is going on. Looks like a trend for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tex1230 View Post
    Anyone using a bluetooth system in their helmet?
    Since my commute got longer, I'm thinking about getting one for phone and music...
    any opinions on the various brands?
    I can't imagine being on a phone while riding. When driving and on the phone I am nowhere near as attentive to traffic. The consequences of a mistake on the bike are too high....

I'm just on the bike a lot more now since I moved. used to be 5-10 minutes commute, now it's over 30...and i'm not happy being phoneless over an hour a day.

and don't tell me to buy a car. that's what winter is for.

i like listening to my zen while riding, but my earbuds are pretty uncomfortable under my helmet. anyone tried any helmet speakers? ive seen some but they dont look very good. are there any good ones?
    Ben Franklin