Page 34 of 151 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

bellissimo

yeah man ! The Bonnie looks stealth.
    shoulda been out carving today, mild temps and almost sunny. Check out this R1 across the street from the colosseum in Rome a few weeks back.
    solo seat, rear sets, custom pipe.
    Bacon tastes good. Pork chops taste goood.

That thing would suck to ride for longer than an hour. I'd call it the NUTCRUSHER.

Very pretty tho.

Very pretty Triumph, me likey. I've got a '73(ish) Honda CB750, and it's definitely not very comfortable after an hour or two. Three hours makes you wonder if you ever had a prostate to begin with. BUT, that bike will be the last thing in my collection of unnecessary shit to go.

Actually, aside from the bars, this is the same bike I took 500 miles a day a few times this summer. The bars are new so I'll see what they feel like in the sprig

^^^^^^

Totally unrelated, but bump for the Rollins avatar. Not that I haven't seen it before, but props for the time being.

My Triumph Daytona T595. 955cc of lunacy!

Nice bike. The Triumph 955i Daytona is on my very short list.

Alright, since this thread is already bumped onto the front page I'll throw this out for discussion. After more than 5,000 miles on my Katana 750 I'm interested in moving up to something in the liter class in the spring. Any opinions on which of the big four offer the best liter bike? I was leaning towards the gixxer, but Honda and Kawi both have completely redesigned offerings for 2008. Honda's looks awesome, but I haven't seen any hands-on reviews. The new Ninja supposedly corrects everything that was wrong with the previous iteration (ie chunky feeling with sub-par handling). I believe the R1 is unchanged from last year when it reportedly suffered from a noticable lack of mid-range power. What does the maggot collective think?

Last edited by Big Blue; 12-09-2007 at 01:33 PM.

the triumph speed triple was on my very short list for years. then i saw a buell xb12s and got one the next week.

Big Blue, are you planning on racing? if not, check out the new buell 1125r.

buell has engineered a liquid cooled 1125cc twin with Rotax. the 1125r has a very broad powerband that kicks in at lower rpms, still has the amazing handling from the buell 'trilogy of tech' (fuel in frame, rim mounted brakes leading to less unsprung weight, and underslung exhaust). it has a 6 spd trans, 146 bhp and 82 ft lbs. torque.

i havent had a chance to ride the 1125r yet, but i like my XB12s better than i liked my old yamaha fzr 1000. not nearly as fast, but more usable power, better handling.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    Big Blue, are you planning on racing?
    Not necessarily. I did take a look at the link to USBA that someone posted earlier and I'm definitely interested in taking their class. I wouldn't have the budget to get way into racing, but I wouldn't mind being able to take my bike to the track once in awhile. Since I do some longer rides I am worried about going with a full-on sport bike (the Katana has a slightly more upright position and a cushier seat) but I do really want the performance. I'd rather have a bike that has more potential than I'll be able to use, versus a bike that I feel is limiting me.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Blue View Post
    Not necessarily. I did take a look at the link to USBA that someone posted earlier and I'm definitely interested in taking their class. I wouldn't have the budget to get way into racing, but I wouldn't mind being able to take my bike to the track once in awhile. Since I do some longer rides I am worried about going with a full-on sport bike (the Katana has a slightly more upright position and a cushier seat) but I do really want the performance. I'd rather have a bike that has more potential than I'll be able to use, versus a bike that I feel is limiting me.
    Probably you don't wont a full-on supersport literbike like the Gixxer 1000, R1, ZX 10 etc then. They were designed for balls-out racing on the racetrack. They're racebikes with headlights and turn signals basically to make them street legal. Handling and speed is the name of the game there. The riding position with the high rearsets and low clipons is great on the track but is pretty uncomfortable on the street, unless you're carving up the twisties. Insurance is $$$$$$.

That said, the Gixxer 1000 is probably the comfiest literbike. I ride my 06 Gixxer 750 for 300+ mile days sometimes with no comfort issues. I'll be doing some track days on the 750 so it's a good street/track bike.

Sounds like you want something kinda like the Katana 750, but with more power? Check out the new Bandit 1250 or the Yamaha FZ1 then, they might be up your alley. Insurance is much cheaper than on a liter-class sportbike on either of these. The 1250 will rip your arms off it has so much torque. Great bike, won Motorcyle of the Year.

That new 2008 FZ1 with the red bodywork and gold rims looks niiiice. I saw one at the Yammie dealership and it's a stunner. Not to mention it has an R1 engine.....

Bandit 1250

FZ1
    Last edited by boarderline; 12-09-2007 at 06:36 PM.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Oh, if only they wouldn't look like the fat friend of the hot chick.

Reminder/heads up to SLC riders: Both BCC and LCC get black ice on some corners on days you'd never expect it. I'm thinking mostly of those stretches of high pressure we get where the itch to ride is strong. It's especially bad when it starts to get late & dark.

I got my CBR1000's rear tire loose on that big sweeper before the bridge on the way up BCC last fall and it was my dirt-biking roots that saved my bacon.

Any opinions on which of the big four offer the best liter bike? I was leaning towards the gixxer, but Honda and Kawi both have completely redesigned offerings for 2008. Honda's looks awesome, but I haven't seen any hands-on reviews. The new Ninja supposedly corrects everything that was wrong with the previous iteration (ie chunky feeling with sub-par handling). I believe the R1 is unchanged from last year when it reportedly suffered from a noticable lack of mid-range power. What does the maggot collective think?
    Of the new litre's from the big 4, that most street mannered will likely be the Gixxer. They didn't change too much from the '07 model, which included multiple fuel injection mappings which allow you to chance the power band at will (i.e. make it act like a 600, like a hopped up 600, like a mild 1000, or balls the fuck out). I can't tell you much about the Honda...except that I hate the exhaust, but that's a theme for all the '08 models and can be fixed for $500.

I don't know where you got your info on the ZX-10's...AFAIK, they've never been labeled as chunky or have poor handling. They're only real problem is the front brakes...the stock master cylinder sucks under heavy load, so if you track it, you need to bleed the brakes between sessions, or upgrade the master cylinder and pads.

What kind of bike are you after? Litre bike? Just something fast? Are you going to the track or just hauling ass on the street?
    The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

Duc 1098.
    saw the rollins show late night last night, had tom morello on-fell aslepp before shane mcgowan performed. I need Tivo.
    and a new bike in the spring

Quote Originally Posted by willywhit View Post
    Duc 1098.
    saw the rollins show late night last night, had tom morello on-fell aslepp before shane mcgowan performed. I need Tivo.
    and a new bike in the spring
    The 1098 is a gorgeous machine. Check out the new 848 too...looks pretty sweet.

The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

doo catty 848

a brilliant cornering machine !

Quote Originally Posted by CYLax View Post
    The 1098 is a gorgeous machine. Check out the new 848 too...looks pretty sweet.

If I ever decide to get a track bike, that will be in close competition with a Daytona 675 for my affection...

Edit: WooT!!! 1k

Quote Originally Posted by tex1230 View Post
    If I ever decide to get a track bike, that will be in close competition with a Daytona 675 for my affection...

Edit: WooT!!! 1k
    If you ever get a track bike...start with an SV650, older or GSXR R6 or something of the sort...basically something you can beat the ever living crap out of an not care.

I've seen a couple 1098's wadded up at the track, one of them beyond saving...brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.

Quote Originally Posted by CYLax View Post
    If you ever get a track bike...start with an SV650, older or GSXR R6 or something of the sort...basically something you can beat the ever living crap out of an not care.

I've seen a couple 1098's wadded up at the track, one of them beyond saving...brings a tear to my eye just thinking about it.
    That's a big "if" - my life insurance rates will double if I start racing...even track days count...pretty interesting given that I think I'm in much more danger on my commute than I could ever get into on a track...

Quote Originally Posted by tex1230 View Post
    That's a big "if" - my life insurance rates will double if I start racing...even track days count...pretty interesting given that I think I'm in much more danger on my commute than I could ever get into on a track...
    That's interesting...I wonder if the same applies to me?

I know my street bike was still covered by State Farm while I was at the track as long as I ran with a track day organization...they considered it a driving school and kept me covered.

Yeah, thats what lead me to the naked bikes. I used to love the FZR, but i really dont have any desire to ever go 160 on two wheels again. the sportfighters are more upright (my xb12s has riser bars), usually a cushier seat but still have much of the performance of a sport bike. the only thing about it for longer rides, if they are curvy back roads it fkn rocks. but long distance touring at 80 - 90 mph on the freeway? it gets a little miserable without any sort of a fairing. even with a sport bike, you can lay on the tank and get a rest. not so on a sportfighter. and since i bought the bike in great falls MT and had to do 3 hours of high speed freeway to get home to bozeman on my very first ride on the thing, i was wondering what i had gotten myself into. but i also had a REALLY loud helmet then, now that i have a good quiet one, its better, but still a little tough on the long freeway rides.

Buell xb12s (not me riding but same as my bike)

Last edited by fez; 12-12-2007 at 01:16 PM.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Motorcycle mags. Im thinking of buying a bike. I am looking at bmw r1200gs's. Question: How do the Triumph Tiger and Ducati Multistrada, or others in this catagory stack up? Is the bmw worth the money. I'l probably buy used.

thks.

Your maintenance costs will be MUCH higher on the BMW, but if you're going to do any kind of serious riding (cross country type stuff, not around town) BMW had a much better support network. I have heard nothing but good things about the Tiger, other than the seat height - if you're shorter than 5'10" you're gonna have a hard time flat footing at a stop. If it was me, I'd buy the Tiger, but if I was a few inches shorter I'd go with the BMW. - I don't know enough about the Ducati to comment.

edit - also check out the buell ulysses. every harley dealership in the country will service it, and I hear very good things about that bike too.
    Last edited by tex1230; 01-02-2008 at 02:14 PM.

nice bobber Yeti, gotta love those UJM's!! and Boarderline, that's a sweet bike!! ever been to the site dedicated to them, theGSResources.com?

here's my daily rider, '81 Suzi GS650G

here's my secondary GS850L "project"

and here's my contribution to the offroad discussion! 1957 BSA A10 Spitfire Scrambler! this was the dirt bike of it's day, ripped a few desert races, or so I hear. I'll likely never ride it as fully intended, but I did get it legal and on the road for her 50th anniversary last year!!!