Page 136 of 151 FirstFirst ... 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 3764
    Who has a hitch carrier? Any that have better reputations that others? Prefer something beyond Harbor Fright. A 1Up equivalent would be cool.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    I've got a 29" inseam and a stock height KTM 525 was perfectly manageable, I can't imagine the WR is any taller. Off-road bikes are light enough that it doesn't take a whole lot to balance them out; my 1150 was a bit of a different animal and I learned pretty quickly both to pick a side and commit and to let it go if I realized I had picked wrong.

You don't need both feet on the ground at the same time unless an external force is acting side to side on the bike (eg a passenger getting on and off). YMMV, but I found it preferable to learn to ride taller bikes than to reduce their capabilities just because I'm height-challenged.
    Should have known I'd get mansplained on how I can get by with taller seat height lol.

The main reason I need it lower is I use the moto for MTB self shuttles with a 2x2 bike carrier. That's a lot of awkwardness and weight to add up high on a moto that is already awkwardly tall for me. And dropping the moto with a $6k MTB mounted to it is not an option for a non-dentist.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    TW200. Apart from that gutless wonder which I do highly recommend, lowering links and slide forks up a smidge.
    That is an option. But not really a better one than what I already had (230L) aside from the fact Yamaha is still making them so I could get a newer one.

Who has a hitch carrier? Any that have better reputations that others? Prefer something beyond Harbor Fright. A 1Up equivalent would be cool.
    I have a VersaHaul. Gold standard for hitch carriers. If you are in Colorado I have a used one for sale as I just got a new one.

Low, powerful, CA plated and dirt bike don't have any overlap on a venn diagram without doing extra work (lowering a bigger bike, which has limits and tradeoffs) or finding one that someone snuck through the plating process.

When I am helping someone shop looking for a plated dirt bike, I use the search terms "plated" and/or "street legal" on craigslist mc 4 sale.

It's not about finding a specific model, it's about finding all plated dirt bikes and finding one that fits the size, power requirements and budget, As you never know what somebody was able to sneak through and get plated.

Agree 100% on that CL technique

You never know what someone got to be street legal. Expect to pay a little more but it is 100% worth it to give the bird to cops.

I'm also shopping for a new hitch carrier as I've now killed carrier #2.

Lots have good reputations but whether they actually hold up beyond pavement use is another question. Need to consider how you'll be using it. I've been having a lot of trouble with them 1) because I drive a lot on forest roads which they don't seem able to hold up to 2) because most of them kill your departure angle to the point they'll drag in/out of driveways, dips and on rocks way more than you think they would. I also haven't been able to find an anti wobble device that is burly enough to eliminate play in the receiver.

Carrier 1 was a Switch Hauler https://www.alljackedupinc.com/108-111-details. Carrier 2 was a Versahaul. http://versahaul.com/vh55ro.php. Both have great reputations and turned out be total disappointments. The switch hauler low point would get hung up on everything. Bigger problem was parts of its frame bending and later finding cracks developing where parts of it bolt together. I liked the design but its not nearly heavy duty enough. And I don't have heavy bikes. The Versahaul looks heavy duty but the tray actually has thin walls. During my last trip one end of the tray started swaying with the moto to the point the brake lever/handlebar were banging into my truck canopy. It's not supposed to do that but was able to deal by adding a couple more straps. When I got home, found a crack in a weld where the tray attaches to the main receiver bar. Again its a shame as I liked that carrier since it has a receiver on the rear end you can plug a MTB rack into.

I had a used Joe Hauler when I first bought a moto. Think I'm going to go back to one of those. They have a version with an elevated tray that won't drag as much and they're much more solid construction.

Didn't mean or need to turn this into a what bike to buy thread. I'm aware of what's out there and know which models I'm interested in.

Original question was simply whether I should be concerned at all about some of the bikes I've seen advertised that are maybe 3-4 years old but only have a few dozen to few hundred miles on them.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Looking at new-to-me dual sports...something along the line of CRF250L, CRF300L, XT250, KLX. Most of these dual sports are bulletproof and I've had minimal issue buying used in the past as long as they've been maintained.

Typical age range I'm seeing is 2014-17 with 4-6k miles on the odometer and priced around $4500-5500. There are also a few with very low mileage. They are a bit newer, and a bit more expensive. Maybe $500-800 more, a couple examples are 13 miles on a 2020 or 300 miles on a 2018 both around $5800.

Normally it would be a no brainer to pony up a few $hundred extra. But wondering if there is anything to be concerned about with them sitting around not being used most of the time. These are all fuel injected bikes. All my bikes to date have been carbureted with accompanying issues if you let them sit with gas in them.

Short answer, No. But always caveat emptor.

Also I'd have to say they aren't much of an upgrade from the 230f you already have.

I’ve got this one. Decent not as burly as versahaul and I run it hard on all sorts of roads with a ktm 450 on it. It’s taken a beating over 3years, is bent and it may need replacing soon. But overall it’s kept the bike safe for some pretty epic shit!!! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NP82M1T

Didn't mean or need to turn this into a what bike to buy thread. I'm aware of what's out there and know which models I'm interested in.

Original question was simply whether I should be concerned at all about some of the bikes I've seen advertised that are maybe 3-4 years old but only have a few dozen to few hundred miles on them.
    Just drive to SFO and buy my plated wr450f!

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    I’ve got this one. Decent not as burly as versahaul and I run it hard on all sorts of roads with a ktm 450 on it. It’s taken a beating over 3years, is bent and it may need replacing soon. But overall it’s kept the bike safe for some pretty epic shit!!! https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07NP82M1T
    Yup I’ve got the same one and beat the shit out of it and it has held up well. Only complaint is it weighs a ton, but I guess that’s what makes it burly.

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Just drive to SFO and buy my plated wr450f!
    I want that. Deliver to CO?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I want that. Deliver to CO?
    Tempting. I figure the big allure of this bike is having a CA plate. Not sure I'd break even after trucking it to Denver. Let me think about it.

Should have known I'd get mansplained on how I can get by with taller seat height lol.

The main reason I need it lower is I use the moto for MTB self shuttles with a 2x2 bike carrier. That's a lot of awkwardness and weight to add up high on a moto that is already awkwardly tall for me. And dropping the moto with a $6k MTB mounted to it is not an option for a non-dentist.

Apologies if that was too over the top, it's a common misperception that one should be able to reach with both feet to be able to ride. There are certainly use cases today get really tricky (like having passengers mount and dismount while you're holding the bike, and yes, probably Hard Enduro), but most of the time it's not a big deal. Carrying a tall and expensive MTB off the back of your bike might be one of those times; I don't know, haven't gotten around to getting a motorcycle running since I got a MTB again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Are you interested in a keeping it and doing some simple maintenance, some parts and whatnot that wouldn't be spendy? Oh, you might want some tension in that chain

Quote Originally Posted by BS720 View Post
    Tempting. I figure the big allure of this bike is having a CA plate. Not sure I'd break even after trucking it to Denver. Let me think about it.
    Don't worry about it, keep it in CA. I can get one here probably easier.

Before I had rotator cuff surgery this spring I was going to buy one of the bikes you’re looking at. Went down the rabbit hole researching for a long time. The Yamahas I saw were always considerably more expensive. The KLX and CFL similar price and reviews on durability. But KLX has much better suspension.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

WR250R would be my choice. You have to be a real special idiot to do serious damage to one of those, and I bet many of their owners hardly ride and over maintain them so cherry ones are prob common.

I let my fuel injected Husky sit for months at a time and it always starts right up (assuming the battery is not dead). I do the same with 2 FI Honda street bikes and they start even better. The 2T KTM with Lectron sometimes requires a few extra kicks, as does the Beta trials bike. The CRF230 pretty much always requires a carb cleaning after a few weeks.

If you want to do it once and do it right you'll need to upgrade your rack to one that has 2 supports from the frame. A single hitch mount one will always sway and eventually break if you drive on rough terrain. Come to my place and I'll help you build one that will outlast your truck. It's pretty simple to just bolt extensions to the frame rails and go across them with a tray and the result will be rock solid.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

These racks work well. Anti-sway device actually works. They make a single tray version as well. Downside is the non aluminum parts and nuts/bolts rust in the new york winter salt. The only other thing that destroys them is other vehicles running into them. Seller was very helpful when I asked to purchase another anti sway after mine seized due to rusty and brokem of bolts.

Double Motorcycle or Dirt Bike Hitch Carrier 600 lb Capacity Aluminum 75" Track Length Each https://a.co/d/7cvhTMU

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

For dirt bikes the Ultimate MX Hauler can’t be beat, imo
    I’ve got one and have bounced it all over, zero issues.
    The motorcycle rides on the engine/frame and is bolted down through the pegs.
    Smooth ride on rough terrain with very little bounce

https://mojomotosport.com/collection...mate-mx-haulerhttp://https://mojomotosport.com/col...mate-mx-hauler

Moto Tote. I used one to haul my Aprilia RSV4 from San Diego back up to Portland. It’s solid, quality and unlike most other carriers; has the proper tie down points.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Def not 75m range unless something has changed significantly since we bought ours.
    Sur ron and Segway both list 75 mile range. What do you think is more realistic?

At ~180# on the flat I'd guess 40ish miles on a full charge if I'm not hooning around the whole time. As a data point, I rode a railroad grade in spirited fashion about 7 miles up and back in sport mode a couple weeks ago and it burnt about 30% of the battery over those 14m but half of it was downhill.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.