Page 17 of 151 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Glad to see this thread is still around. Might as well get stoked for summer again. After a couple years ripping around the Tahoe basin on my dirtbike, I have come to the conclusion that I want to ride on the street. At this point I am pretty torn between selling my dirtbike and getting a dual sport, or keeping my dirtbike and getting a street bike. Am leaning towards a KLX 300 dual sport or CB 599 street bike. I went to BVH and the CB looks super fun. Any experience with either bike? I know there are pros and cons with both scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Schralps McGnar View Post
    Glad to see this thread is still around. Might as well get stoked for summer again. After a couple years ripping around the Tahoe basin on my dirtbike, I have come to the conclusion that I want to ride on the street. At this point I am pretty torn between selling my dirtbike and getting a dual sport, or keeping my dirtbike and getting a street bike. Am leaning towards a KLX 300 dual sport or CB 599 street bike. I went to BVH and the CB looks super fun. Any experience with either bike? I know there are pros and cons with both scenarios.
    Dude, get an 89-99 Yamaha FZR 600.

You can get them for a good price, and they handle fucking awesome. I've got one, and LOVE it. If you ever dump it, tons of parts on Ebay etc.

Bike holds it's own against any other carbed 600 out there. Had the needle at 155mph last summer.
    ================================================== ==========================================
    I'm going to get this bad boy as soon as it's possible.

Last edited by BlurredElevens; 03-18-2007 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Here's a badass video to make you sweat.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...80512099685914
    Wow, sick vid...

Can we wait a bit on this thread? Winter's not over yet you bastards
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

DisArray Guest
    Whether winter is over or not is a question that has yet to be answered. However, this thread is totally appropriate as the motorcycle season is here with the annual kickoff of the polar bear ride. What an awesome day for a ride, especially after last year being snowed out. Suck's Penny's was closed; hopefully they'll be back. Anyway, here is some stoke-

Anyone know why suzuki didn't replace the tl100R? That thing had the ugliest headlamp ever, but it was a sweet sounding machine.

Blue-Haze Stoke

This one gets my blood pumpin'...

H2 at Deal's Gap:
    (Part 1 of 4)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_GH8mFiyj4

I love the way it shakes like hell when it hits the powerband...

Enjoy Every Sandwich - Warren Zevon

Not to bring down the stoke or anything, but if any of y'all are new riders, don't get super powerful crotch rockets and then try and navigate windy roads.

The guy survived, but obviously his bike and my sisters car are totaled. This was last Friday.

Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

Holy shit that's ugly...

still could use a ride today... maybe next weekend.

Scheduled my first long ride for June... hope it's not the first one of the season! Snow melting fast... thoughts are turning to the open road.
    When logic goes out the window, go with it.

-- yogachik

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    Not to bring down the stoke or anything, but if any of y'all are new riders, don't get super powerful crotch rockets and then try and navigate windy roads.
    Or better yet, learn to ride. But preach on, Papa Hop.

Ouch.
    This pic and the Harley crash just above remind me this classic clip of 2 goldwings in some twisties :

Get a Honda and learn to ride ?
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Or better yet, learn to ride. But preach on, Papa Hop.
    I suppose I could have explicitly said "learn to ride", but the guy that almost killed himself on my sisters hood was trying to do just that with the wrong bike on the wrong road.

Would you recommend learning to ride on a crotch rocket on a very windy road? Even you're not that dumb, or are you?

The Bonin Petrels

I suppose I could have explicitly said "learn to ride", but the guy that almost killed himself on my sisters hood was trying to do just that with the wrong bike on the wrong road.

Would you recommend learning to ride on a crotch rocket on a very windy road? Even you're not that dumb, or are you?
    You could blow that turn on a moped if you don't know how to ride.
    It's the person, not the bike.

Do you own a crotch rocket? Didn't think so, but keep preaching about shit you know nothing about, mother hucker.

You could blow that turn on a moped if you don't know how to ride.
    It's the person, not the bike.

Do you own a crotch rocket? Didn't think so, but keep preaching about shit you know nothing about, mother hucker.
    Don't own a crotch rocket, no. But I've ridden them enough to know they're not for me.
    Anyways, that rider had less than 1000 miles on his learner permit, which hardly qualifies as experienced if you ask me (or the investigators, or his riding buddy, or the cops or paramedics on scene...). And in this case it's not just the person. The combination of lack of experience coupled with a very powerful bike and a very technical road caused this accident.

Back to my original question to you:
    Would you recommend that a new rider get a powerful crotch rocket as their first bike and try to tackle technical windy roads?

That's the motorcycle equivalent of taking a first-time skier off the bunny slopes and putting them on a pair of Lotus 138's and sending them to AK. They might survive, but the odds aren't that good.

The Bonin Petrels

but if any of y'all are new riders,

The intentions of his post seemed pretty clear to me.
    Buy nice things here.
    www.motorcityglassworks.com

The combination of lack of experience coupled with a very powerful bike and a very technical road caused this accident.
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Personal responsibility is a bitch, ain't it?

Guns don't kill people, people kill people.

Personal responsibility is a bitch, ain't it?
    Yep, and now that guy's personally responsible (or at least his insurance is) for fixing my sis' car and making sure she's ok not to mention fixing his bike, paying for his life-flight, and all of his hospital bills. Sucks to be him.

It all could have been avoided if he had not bitten off more than he could chew.

The Bonin Petrels

and now back to your regularly scheduled stoke...

-- yogachik

It all could have been avoided if he had not bitten off more than he could chew.
    You still don't get it. It's clear that guy went into that corner hot and blew the turn, ended up in your sisters lane and hit her head on.

It doesn't matter what kind of bike he was on. He could have been on a moped doing 60 into that corner and blown the turn. Knowing how to ride a bike, abilities etc are more important than the bike you're on.

If a guy killed your friend with a 300 Magnum, would you preach that if he had less firepower, perhaps only had a .40 Cal handgun, that would have made the difference?

Your argument is stupid, like you.
    Last edited by BlurredElevens; 03-25-2007 at 04:01 PM.

So anyways. I grew racing moto. I think a streetbike will be my commute cost solution. A turbo hayabusa is a pretty good starter, right?

You kind of miss the point - new rider on a bike with a twitchy throttle = recipe for disaster.

yes you could blow the turn on any bike but new riders should be guided to more forgiving equipment.

The fault is entirely the rider's - but with better education of new riders and motorcycle salesmen, you could greatly reduce stupid accidents.

I was in my Triumph dealership and saw the guy who runs it send a guy out the door refusing to sell him a Daytona because it was his first bike and he was 19 years old...

The next day I was in the local suzuki/yamaha/honda dealer seeing a kid about the same age trying to decide between a Busa and a ZX-14...and all the salesman was doing was counting his commission.

It is irresponsible to ride beyond your abilities, but isn't it just as irresponsible to let a new rider hop on a liter bike that goes 0-60 faster than any car out there?

edit: that was to blurred, not poser

Ask yourself a very simple question.

A beginner buys a Liter bike to start out on.

He is 50 years old.

2nd beginner buys a Liter bike to start out on.

He is 19 years old.

If you were to pick one who was likely to wreck, who and why?

The bike makes no difference. They are like guns. They NEED to be respected. The size doesn't matter, (or so McPoser has told Rontele) negligence kills.
    Last edited by BlurredElevens; 03-25-2007 at 04:21 PM.

er... perhaps the schedule has been amended...

c'mon guys... can't you PM this stuff and leave the stoke thread alone...?

-- yogachik

Dude, get an 89-99 Yamaha FZR 600.

You can get them for a good price, and they handle fucking awesome. I've got one, and LOVE it. If you ever dump it, tons of parts on Ebay etc.

Bike holds it's own against any other carbed 600 out there. Had the needle at 155mph last summer.
    What did you get that for? That seems about right for a commuter bike

Too bad I ran that shit over in Summit's Garage....Sorry about that again.