Page 27 of 151 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... LastLast
    Tipp, thanks for the info.

i was talking to my boss about the fender eliminator and he said the same thing. so ok, it stays for now. plus all the fender eliminators for the buells are around $350.

the reason i was worried about the ride home was because i used to ride a yamaha fzr 1000, i had a pretty good idea of what i was in for. but it really wasnt bad. my throttle hand was very tingly, had to keep moving my fingers around to keep the blood flow. and of course my sore ass.

im going to keep the seat for now, there are a few other things i want to get first (saddle bags, rain suit, new boots, and some riding pants). definitely going to get a better seat eventually though, i will be doing the ride up to great falls every few thousand miles since i could finance 3 years of required maintenance along with the bike which is supposed to save about 60% of the maintenance costs.

im behaving better now on the break in thing and will until it is passed. it wouldnt have been safe to ride a motorcycle at 20 mph below the average speed on the interstate for the ride home, but i was very careful not to excede 4k rpm. i expect there is some cushion there (hopefully enough).

i'll check out the ear buds. i want new ones for my mp3 player anyway, my big over ear headphones sound SO much better that it made me realize how shitty the earbuds are. i was looking at some in ear monitors that are supposed to be pretty sweet and not overly spendy, but not sure how they would fit under the helmet either.

and alka, those buell blasts are very popular learner bikes, probably won't be too hard to sell it and move on to something more powerful.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    my throttle hand was very tingly, had to keep moving my fingers around to keep the blood flow.
    I had this happen to me yesterday for the first time. Around 45 minutes into the ride both hands started to get numb. I don't know if the gloves were on too tight or I was leaning on my hands too much or it was vibration in the handlebars (or all three).

Next time I'll have to be more conscious of my riding position and gloves. Hopefully thats all it was.

Some people report installing a BarSnake cuts down on the vibration. Anyone with any experience with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    question for the moto-peeps. is it typical that one buys there first bike, learns to ride said bike and within a week is already craving the power of a 996 or R1.

if this is typical than i'm as normal as vanilla.
    vanilla,
    welcome to your new addiction.

1st bike, 81 Honda CB750K:

Current bike, 99 Honda Shadow Ace 1100:

I want more power.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

question for the moto-peeps. is it typical that one buys there first bike, learns to ride said bike and within a week is already craving the power of a 996 or R1.

if this is typical than i'm as normal as vanilla.
    Actualy, I never really felt the need to ride 150hp + bikes.
    OTOH, you're riding a Buell Blast... If your idea of bike riding = (straightline) thrills, I can understand the frustration

Edit : I don't want to beat that dead horse, but you're not seriously considering a R1, after a week on a blast ?
    Last edited by philippeR; 06-05-2007 at 09:25 AM.
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    Edit : I don't want to beat that dead horse, but you're not seriously considering a R1, after a week on a blast ?
    +1

The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

thinking about picking up this for the bonneville:

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I want one of these so badly, now the image size is better, and it should appear. Absolutely gorgeous is a gorgeous bike. I know there is a lot of Harley hate here, but I don't love it because its a Harley, I love it cuz its just plain badass looking. Love the simplicity of it. I know what my next few summers worth of paychecks are going toward.

A harley I could live with

Only 19 450 E...
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

normal as vanilla.
    Hell yeah. My first was a ninja 250r, I moved up to a 600 within about 6 months. You really just need to find twistier twistys and get solid with braking and accelerating.

Phunk, you ever ride wolf creek pass? Nice big sweepers on that road. It's pretty bad that every time I drive a mountain road all I can think about is riding it.

A colleague is trying to sell a 2004 Fat Boy with low miles. if anyone is in the market send me a pm and I'll get you pics and details...

Quote Originally Posted by boarderline View Post
    Yep, good bikes. My wife has an 82. , and I have a Suzuki 80 GS1000. Gotta love the '70s and '80s UJMs.
    Big difference between the SOHC and DOHC CB 750's.

http://www.sohc4.us/
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Quote Originally Posted by flykdog View Post
    Phunk, you ever ride wolf creek pass? Nice big sweepers on that road. It's pretty bad that every time I drive a mountain road all I can think about is riding it.
    No, but I've had some quality time on the road from SLC to and past Echo Canyon (I think it's called.)

I've got an invite to ride Wolf Creek pass with a bad-ass posse, but I'm not ready to ride at their pace, yet.

Gotta hurry up and break in my:

In time for June 26 at:

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk View Post
    No, but I've had some quality time on the road from SLC to and past Echo Canyon (I think it's called.)

I've got an invite to ride Wolf Creek pass with a bad-ass posse, but I'm not ready to ride at their pace, yet.

Gotta hurry up and break in my:

In time for June 26 at:

^^ this is going to be one hell of a good time
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Big difference between the SOHC and DOHC CB 750's.

http://www.sohc4.us/

Yep, about 12-15 HP.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

DICK WAVE...
    YEAH BABY!! from sohc website (thanks boarderline, and MakersTeleMark, i used to hang out there):

"the inexhaustible CB750 delivered its power more smoothly than any big sportster before it. It can rightly claim to have been the world's first Superbike..."
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

okbye
    TELL YOUR BOOBS TO QUIT STARING AT MY EYES!!!1!

Here, I'll help you out:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    RENO SUPERMOTO

^^AWESOME
    The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

Bad News in Motorcycling today:
    Three dead in Isle of Man TT accident
    By Alan Baldwin
    LONDON, June 8 (Reuters) - A rider and two spectators died in the final event of the Isle of Man TT on Friday in a crash that cast a pall over the 100th anniversary celebrations of motorcycling's oldest and deadliest road races.
    The official TT Web site (www.iomtt.com) named the rider as 34-year-old Briton Marc Ramsbotham, a married man and newcomer to the event.
    One spectator died at the scene of the accident, the 26th milestone on the mountain course, and another later in hospital. Two more were injured.
    The Norfolk rider was competing in the six-lap Senior TT (Tourist Trophy), a blue riband event watched by tens of thousands of visitors to the island as well as former champions including John Surtees and Giacomo Agostini.
    An investigation was under way into the causes of the accident.
    The deaths, on a circuit that before Friday had claimed 223 lives since the inaugural Tourist Trophy race of 1907, overshadowed what had otherwise been a memorable close to the festival of road racing.
    Briton John McGuinness won the senior TT to become the first rider to lap the island circuit at an average speed of more than 130mph.
    McGuinness's 13th TT win, after his triumph in the weather-delayed opening Superbike TT on Monday, made him the third most successful rider in the event's 100 year history.
    His fastest lap was timed at 130.354 mph, stripping 51 seconds off the previous record.
    The TT course pits riders against the clock over 37.73 miles on public roads and with the start and finish in Douglas. Top speeds exceed 200 mph (320kph).
    This year's sole major incident before Friday was a crash in Tuesday's Superstock TT that left New Zealand's former winner Shaun Harris in a critical condition in hospital.
    Despite the dangers, and calls in some quarters for the TT to be banned, the races remain oversubscribed with riders accepting the risks.
    "When I shut my visor and get on the bike, that's the best feeling in the world. You're on your own, you're free and racing against the clock. It's just you and the circuit," McGuinness told Reuters last week.
    "If you win one, there's no better feeling in the world."

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    DICK WAVE...
    YEAH BABY!! from sohc website (thanks boarderline, and MakersTeleMark, i used to hang out there):

"the inexhaustible CB750 delivered its power more smoothly than any big sportster before it. It can rightly claim to have been the world's first Superbike..."
    Cool. I was hanging out at pretty heavily at wreck.moto from about 91 or so until about 96.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR View Post
    nah...i'll, at least, give it another week.

Good call.
    A pair of shin guards, a chest protector some tight pink shorts and you're good to go. Oh, and get sliders for your sneakers.

anyone need some off road/ dual purpose tires?

I have some leftover bits from my 650 KLX .

80/100 21 Kenda K775F washougal sticky

130/90 17 Maxxis.

both are a knobbly offroad type tire. both new, both will not get used by me.

PM me for info, offers. I DONT WANT THEM, so lowballs, trades, sob stories, begging, etc are all welcome.

Finally!

Haven't been around these parts much lately. Hopefully that will change when next season rolls around and we have a real season in California. At any rate, I'm pumped! Picked this baby up today and took my Rider Course this weekend - - all set and ready to ride. It's a '73 AMF Harley Sprinter 350, or something like that. It has about 10K miles. I think it looks pretty sweet, it's light, w/ a low seat height, not tons of power, which makes it perfect for a firstimer. Already thinking about my next bike after I get some mileage under my belt... a BMW F650.
    Aliases: B-Dub, B-Dubya, & B. White

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post
    the ride wasnt bad, my ass is kind of sore, but my back is fine. the seat isnt especially comfortable. they make a gel one-up seat i may get, my wife took one look at the thing and said there was no way in hell she was going to ride on the back of that. so maybe pull the rear pegs (the whole mount is easy to remove) and get the one-up.

to be honest, im still a little scared of the bike, there is an incredible amount of torque that i have to get used to. it wants to lift the front wheel even at low rpm. and the brakes are almost as scary, the thing will stop on a dime for sure. i cant wait til i get past the break in period and get the feel for the bike. i have a feeling im going to have lots of fun!

i felt like a jong cornering slow and upright rather than getting the thing leaned over. part of it was because of the engine break in period, i'm not supposed to get the rpms up over 3k for the first 500 miles. kind of hard to gun out of a corner when you cant rev the motor very much (red line is around 7k). part of it was being out of practice, i havent ridden a bike in over a year and havent been on anything fast in 10 years.

there were some corners on the ride, but mostly interstate (with some 55 and 60 mph corners). I-15 from great falls to helena is a beautiful stretch of road. i had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road and not scanning the mo for risers.

i wish i had my mp3 player, i somehow got the new gwen stefani song stuck in my head for the entire ride (damn helena radio on the drive up). the earbuds for my mp3 don't fit under my helmet very well. anyone know if there is a helmet with a tuneups type system?
    If the bike has adjustable suspension get a pro to set it up for your height and weight. It's the best single mod you can do.

Riding that bike with an mp3 is not wise.. jmo.

also a set of 2" lowering links for a KLX650 (fits the KLR650 too I think)

same deal, trade, beg, free etc

looks like the shipping on the tires is $30-40 to most places.

Hey CyLax - have you seen this:

I think I'm in love.