Page 20 of 151 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stompy View Post
    Anyone got any idea the value of a 1970 (1971?) BMW R50/5 in pieces, literally, pieces. I work with a woman who has one sitting in her garage at the moment with no intention of putting it together, so she said make her an offer.
    So I googled and found whole bikes from $1000 to $6000.
    I averaged the price out for 13 bikes and it came in around 3K.
    What should I offer, and she takes it, how the hell would I put this thing together? Are the Clymer manuals good enough for a complete dribbling idiot like me to follow?
    Dude, I'm sure if you offered her a couple hundred dollars to take some junk out of her garage, she'd accept it.

What Brett said, then have at it. The Boxer motor is one of the simplest designs out there. My buddy and i jointly owned a '78 R100RS that we took apart completely, cleaned everything thoroughly, then reassembled. With 100% new fluids all around, a couple of new needle bearings, new sprockets, and two rebuilt DellOrto carbs that thing ran better than new.

Old BMWs are really hard to kill. If you have any interest in learning some basic bike mechanics and then riding a classic I'd say do it.

If you have the tools and time, my understanding is that the manuals will get you there. Of course this is coming from a guy who will not attempt anything more complicated than spraying on chain lube and checking the air in his tires without taking the bike in to the dealer.

Manuals? What? You just need to change your skirt to pants and put it together. Real men don't need manuals or directions. Shit, it's in our DNA to be mechanically inclined. Next thing you know you'll be asking what kind of helmet to buy.

If I could have any motorcycle I wanted it would be a BMW. I really like their enduro R 1200 GS and tour K 1200 GT. My co-worker just bought a 1150 GS I believe. Big bike, but a lot of versatility.

Right on!
    I "borrowed" a buddies R100 for a winter when in Cali, and rode it up to Santa Cruz to see my sis. It was fantastic.
    So I guess I just have to offer something. I mean it wouldn't kill me to try. Well, the wife may kill me, or at least remind me that the motorcycle would if she didn't!
    "3-1, 540, 3-1?"... "3-1 ADONIS, go ahead"

Quote Originally Posted by stompy View Post
    ...Well, the wife may kill me, or at least remind me that the motorcycle would if she didn't!
    Roll.

Eyes.

Eating a bad piece of sushi can kill you too, so can slipping in the tub. Come on, man - ask for your scrotum back.

i wish i could afford a motorcycle

Good for 4000 km from BC to AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    What Brett said, then have at it. The Boxer motor is one of the simplest designs out there. My buddy and i jointly owned a '78 R100RS that we took apart completely, cleaned everything thoroughly, then reassembled. With 100% new fluids all around, a couple of new needle bearings, new sprockets, and two rebuilt DellOrto carbs that thing ran better than new.

Old BMWs are really hard to kill. If you have any interest in learning some basic bike mechanics and then riding a classic I'd say do it.
    +2 for correct denomination of the boxermotor. ie not a boxer engine, but a fucking FLAT TWIN !

The R100RS is the motorcycle that got me hooked on bikes when I was 10. I still remember the ads, and my purchase of my first copy of MotoJournal to read the road test...
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by thalweg View Post

Good for 4000 km from BC to AZ
    Is that a CB750K? If so, what year? My first bike was a CB750K, 1981.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I once drove a '81 CB750C from NYC to Amherst MA with no front brake. That was interesting (and stoopid). I finally rebuilt the master cylinder and had a few years of fun with that one. It had one of those huge Vetter fairings with a tape deck and stereo speakers. Good times.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

Yep. 1979 CB750K, my dad's old bike. 62000 km, 48k when I got it a few years ago!

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I once drove a '81 CB750C.... It had one of those huge Vetter fairings with a tape deck and stereo speakers. Good times.

Last edited by ill-advised strategy; 03-29-2007 at 05:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by thalweg View Post
    Yep. 1979 CB750K, my dad's old bike. 62000 km, 48k when I got it a few years ago!
    Noice!! I got mine from my dad too, and the one owner before him sat it in the garage for over 13 years. Got it free (with stipulation of taking the motorcycle safety course on my dime) and it only had 3000 miles on it.

Was a wonderful starter bike for many years. Look back through the early pages and see my black Honda Shadow Ace 1100 now, 1999. From dad again, never rode it cause it was too hot in Tucson. Got it with 1460 miles on it for $4k. Almost paid off now.

My first time posting an image, I know, I am a jong. I also ride a 1937 ULH.

Thumbs up

^^^^^^^DAMN!

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I once drove a '81 CB750C from NYC to Amherst MA with no front brake. That was interesting (and stoopid). I finally rebuilt the master cylinder and had a few years of fun with that one. It had one of those huge Vetter fairings with a tape deck and stereo speakers. Good times.
    750C? you would have really enjoyed the F model. Had that up in the UP rompin up the road to Big Bay every chance i got. [doncha know it yeti? ]
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    ^^^^^^^DAMN!
    No shit buzzy. Dude might be a posting jong but ain't no bike jong!!!!!!! How 'bout some pics of that '37!?!
    Last edited by Tye 1on; 03-30-2007 at 01:22 PM.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Curtisvil, awesome bike you gots there!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    Curtisvil, awesome bike you gots there!

Sprite
    +1

curtsvil - can we see a better pic of the one in the background? what is it?

Quote Originally Posted by tex1230 View Post
    +1

curtsvil - can we see a better pic of the one in the background? what is it?
    Hell, I want to see a lot of pics of all the detail you put into BOTH of them beautys!!!

Back bike is an 04 HD Road King. Flame bike is a 00 HD Fat Boy. I have a couple of pictures of my 37 on my hard drive but I am not sure how to post them.

Here are some pics of my fat boy. It runs 110 horse power at the rear wheel and 120 ft lbs of torque.

Cool

The paint job on the road king is un-fucking-believable!!!!
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ