Page 130 of 151 FirstFirst ... 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 ... LastLast
Results 3,226 to 3,250 of 3764
    Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Have to admit I'm intrigued by these. I shuttled a moto trail this weekend (on my MTB) that was fucking awesome, but it would be a pain in the ass to do it without a shuttle and I'm only going to get so many free shuttles out of the wife. Saw two dudes pedaling up, looked like it sucked and they didn't make it to the top. Then I saw a dude on an e-bike going up and that looked a lot more reasonable but since e-bikes are only allowed on motorized trail around here why not just get a moto? If only a Sur Ron was street legal...

What's the lightest, cheapest, singletrack capable, street legal, motorized two wheeled contraption?
    I know a guy who got his SurRon plated. Street legal. Don’t think that I’ll go through the hassle. I have a rack. But I’ll probably mainly just sneak across to the trails close to home.

Apparently these things are a mod junky’s wet dream. Gonna run it stock at first and see how that does. Clip the green wire though of course.

And it ain’t cheap, $13k, but a Stark Varg could probably be plated and that thing would be a sick bike for anything dirt. Would be insane with slicks on it too. Hopefully these co tiniest to progress and there quality comes up and price comes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I know a guy who got his SurRon plated. Street legal. Don’t think that I’ll go through the hassle. I have a rack. But I’ll probably mainly just sneak across to the trails close to home.

Apparently these things are a mod junky’s wet dream. Gonna run it stock at first and see how that does. Clip the green wire though of course.
    You should bring it down to the SW, there's a ton of the sweet motorized singletrack around here. And so that I can try it

I rode my friends Alta dual sport (rip), so powerful and fun. So odd having no sound and vibrations coming from a big bore thumper.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    You should bring it down to the SW, there's a ton of the sweet motorized singletrack around here. And so that I can try it
    Yeah, when I get time this fall I might make a trip down there. I’d like to do the Alpine loop again with some offshoots.

Buddy got a DRZ400 in CB. Couldn't take him on any singletrack without feeling it would be long day of picking up a heavy bitch. So we scooted up Pearl Pass to see if the snow cleared yet.

I'm looking forward to seeing them finally take the larger sur ron, the storm bee, into full production. I saw a couple test vids and it looked silly fun. Prolly be >10k but watchagonnado...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Buddy got a DRZ400 in CB. Couldn't take him on any singletrack without feeling it would be long day of picking up a heavy bitch. So we scooted up Pearl Pass to see if the snow cleared yet.

Hi from the other side!

I get to ride most singletrack between me and you. The Aspen side of Pearl is no joke, and just a bouncy beatdown on a dirtbike.

Rode a bunch of single track in strawberry ridge area (UT) this weekend and only had to pick up the heavy bitch a few times. Overall a decent outing. Definitely wouldn’t mind picking up a smaller bike for days like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1656359012.184087.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	420065

Maggot motorcycle stoke thread

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    . Definitely wouldn’t mind picking up a smaller bike for days like this.
    On this note for general mountain all around single track riding what are you guys using?

Buddy says go with a 2 smoke 300. I was thinking four stroke 250 Exc-f. He says the 250 won’t have enough torque for our application.

I mean hell on this ride this weekend my top speed was 49 mph and average Riding speed was only 15. I barely got out of second gear for most of the day.

What y’all ridin single track on?

250 4 stoke works great but looses power at 12k elevation.

300 2 stoke is like the Tesla of dirt bikes. Everyone has one, loves it and trys to get everyone else on one.

I'll stick with my 350 4 stoke. Faster and smoother than a 300 and revs to the moon. Got a few pounds in the 2 stoke but not a handful like a 450. Fuel injection works perfectly. Best singletrack trail bike IMO. Comes in orange, red, or white

Been looking at a street legal WR450F myself. Guys I ride with have em and use them as snow bikes in the winter. It is actually somewhat lighter than my WR250R and rides really nimble comparatively. Definitely not as comfortable on the road though.

I'm in the two stroke camp for singletrack. They are lighter, easier to ride, and much easier to maintain than 4t. If you're not doing much road work, there is no advantage to 4t. Either TPI or a Lectron carb makes elevation and temperature changes irrelevant.

That said, the 350 is pretty incredible. If the $1000+ valve job doesn't turn you off, it would be a fine choice.

For pure singletrack use I wouldn't choose a WR450. They are heavier than the 300s, and offer no advantage.

The WR250R is a dual sport, not a dirtbike, so it's not a fair comparison to a 450F. The R does have a nearly indestructible engine with car-like maintenance intervals, though.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    And it ain’t cheap, $13k, but a Stark Varg could probably be plated and that thing would be a sick bike for anything dirt. Would be insane with slicks on it too. Hopefully these co tiniest to progress and there quality comes up and price comes down.
    80hp yet as light/nimble as a 125cc 2-stroke. FKNA! 2 more years and hopefully we'll see some in the $7-8k range.

Doesn't matter what bike. Buy the cleanest available for the best deal. Ride.

Quote Originally Posted by jmedslc View Post
    On this note for general mountain all around single track riding what are you guys using?

Buddy says go with a 2 smoke 300. I was thinking four stroke 250 Exc-f. He says the 250 won’t have enough torque for our application.

I mean hell on this ride this weekend my top speed was 49 mph and average Riding speed was only 15. I barely got out of second gear for most of the day.

What y’all ridin single track on?
    300 2t. Balls for lugging up hard shit. Nimble for turning on tight twisty track.

250 2t would be an excellent choice as well. A bit more nimble, but not quite as much low end grunt. I doubt a 200 2t would do well enough at altitude, but is an incredibly fun bike on singletrack since it rides more like a mountain bike.

350 4t with wide ratio transmission (ktm 350 xcw) would be another solid choice. Does not turn as quickly as the 300 2t. If you're definition is wide open singletrack with not super tight turns then 350 4t is excellent.

I prefer the 300 2t in the northeast because it has wicked power for big moves and lugging up steep track while being nimble and fun/fast on tight twisty track. The 350xcw would be better if you are riding a mix of singletrack and desert whoops. The 2t bikes are simply not as planted as 4t when going in a straight line. In other words, the 2t wants to turn and the 4t wants to go straight. Another way of thinking about it is the 2t is like a nimble dh bike while the 4t is like a plow dh bike.

I agree with Evan... lectron or tpi if you are going to be changing altitude significantly on rides.

Or just get an ebike... I haven't been on my Enduro or mototrials bike in weeks lol. Speaking of which I need to get on my trials bike... clinic coming up soon. All r really fun though.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I think if I had money for a trail specific bike I’d go Xr400 for sportier riding style or tw200 for putt-putt riding style.

Has anyone here had a chance to ride the new trail 125? It seems pretty neat.

Xr400 and sporty in the same sentence?

It's not 1995 anymore. Things have come a.long, long way.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I think if I had money for a trail specific bike I’d go Xr400 for sportier riding style or tw200 for putt-putt riding style.

Has anyone here had a chance to ride the new trail 125? It seems pretty neat.
    Username checks out.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

The KTM site says the 250 EXC-F, 250 EXC, 350 EXC-F, and 300 EXC are all within 3 pounds. You guys must be pro riders to feel the difference.

It's not entirely about weight. Engine characteristics play a role, among.others. more rotational mass is part of the reasons being planted above. Big difference in feeling throughout speed, direction change...nimbleness? Depends on the singletrack and the rider. I have more fun on a 2t, 250(with a sx or rktek head) or 300. Had em both and on a 300 now and only because it wasn't available in a 250. Nobody I know runs a 4t on trails in the mountains but the snowbikers do, as it's all about track speed and they don't ride trails per se.

No matter what bike, I’ve always found that smaller displacement bikes can be more fun cause you’re able to really wring them out instead of constantly holding them back (at least at my skill level). I want just enough power to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    It's not entirely about weight. Engine characteristics play a role, among.others. more rotational mass is part of the reasons being planted above. Big difference in feeling throughout speed, direction change...nimbleness?
    If you want to take a stab at quantifying the difference in rotational mass between 250 and 300 two strokes by the same manufacturer I'm all ears. Because it sounds a little like hand-waiving and gram counting on a > 200 lbs machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    No matter what bike, I’ve always found that smaller displacement bikes can be more fun cause you’re able to really wring them out instead of constantly holding them back (at least at my skill level). I want just enough power to get the job done.
    Same. More fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

I like having the reserve power of the bigger engine. But I ride at altitude a lot, and crawling up loose scree at 13k' can be much easier with the 450. I definitely don't disagree with y'all about the 300 though. Everyone here probably has way more knowledge and experience w/ motorcycles that me. I'm a total hack and need more power to compensate for lack of skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The KTM site says the 250 EXC-F, 250 EXC, 350 EXC-F, and 300 EXC are all within 3 pounds. You guys must be pro riders to feel the difference.
    Go ride all three and report back . Weight isn't the primary issue.

I'm a total hack and the difference between 300 2t and 350 4t is very apparent when riding.

For singletrack, 300 2t or 350 4t is plenty of power. Anymore power than that and you get into traction issues etc.... changing flywheels etc... Motocross track, well that's a different story obviously.

The 350 4t is a little easier to ride in terms of throttle and clutch control. But OP you're a mag so you'll adapt to either .

Maybe more important get the suspension custom tuned for whatever type of riding you primarily participate. This will change your life for the better. I can direct you to a tuner that won't destroy your pocketbook.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB