Page 131 of 151 FirstFirst ... 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 ... LastLast
Results 3,251 to 3,275 of 3756
    Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    ...More fun to ride a slow bike fast...
    until parts start falling off
    ​I am not in your hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Gepeto View Post
    until parts start falling off
    I thought weight reduction was a good thing...

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    Xr400 and sporty in the same sentence?

It's not 1995 anymore. Things have come a.long, long way.
    And this is why I don’t post here anymore.

You guys just can’t can’t wait to twist every single topic into a pissing match.

Smh. Bunch of dick wavers.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

You guys just can’t can’t wait to twist every single topic into a pissing match.

Your advice was fucking horrible. If you don't have modern applicable suggestions, then STFU.

I've owned XR400r's, XR500, XR650R and ridden a shitton of TW's. None of them are solid suggestions.

Great bikes for what they are though.

It's like recommending a willies to do the rubicon.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I don’t know…. After having owned a 200exc, then 350xcfw and a 500, followed up by 2 300s (a 16 6days and now a 23 EC300), there is no substitute for the 3Hunny for Mtn Singletrack. Tonight from the Big Holes….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GravityDT View Post
    I don’t know…. After having owned a 200exc, then 350xcfw and a 500, followed up by 2 300s (a 16 6days and now a 23 EC300), there is no substitute for the 3Hunny for Mtn Singletrack. Tonight from the Big Holes….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed. I currently have a 200EXC, which is incredibly agile. I rode a friend's 350xc mid ride once and it was just what i expected: tons of power and stable but not as turny and fun as my small bike for tight stuff. 300s feel like big 200s.

I had a 500 for a while too, and it's possible to ride them on super tight singletrack (and i did, for thousands of miles), but it's nowhere near as fun or easy as the 2t motos. Then there's the maintenance considerations.

The knock on the XR400 isn't a pissing contest thing:. It's just basically an antique at this point. No one would recommend 205cm straight skis in 2022 either.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Awesome conversation with some very good data points. Thanks guys.

Now here’s a stupid question. When y’all talk “ then there’s the maintenance considerations “. I’ve only had 4t bikes. What’s easier about maintenance on a 2T bike?

No oil changes!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

Come on man, you got a thicker skin than that right? Like you've never started, been in, or finished a pissing match in all these years on TGR. You made a stupid suggestion. Take your licks and move on. I did too apparently. Now I'm shopping for 300's instead of a 450. Ha!

Man, old guys get so touchy in their twighlight years. We all know you were hoping to have everyone agree and go on a big nostalgia fest with your old bikes that haven't been made since the turn of the century. Sorry that didn't work out.

As mentioned above... suspension, it's a pretty big deal, especially after you ride something that is dialed. My riding buddies and I did the 7kMachine shim stack mods to our AER forks and the result is the magic carpet ride. I had Stillwell that came on one of my bikes and it is similar and hella worth it for MT/ID style singletrack. I thought my stock AER was pretty good and it was but nothing like it is now. I've messed with shock settings and they feel pretty good now. 2t top ends are stupid easy compared to 4t top ends. I rode a 350 XC 4t back-to-back with my 300 and prefer the lugability of the 2t. The 350 required higher revs to get through the steep chunk of else it'd stall. I'm sure some of that has to do with my skill but the 300 would just chug along without feeling all spastic like the 350 at high revs in slow turny tech. I ride from 4k to above 10k and with JD jets and an RKTek head I only need to touch the air screw above 7.5-8k. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    No oil changes!
    Exactly. All the oil you put in the bike goes into the air, or dibbles out the exhaust outlet and header gasket....

We don't call them 2 smokes for nothing.

Always put Castrol in my 2 strokes and the smell of burning castor oil still makes me horny. These days you can pick your smell. Should I run blueberry or cotton candy today?

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...tOrder=Default
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

They do burn some oil (injection on the new ones really minimizes it though), true. But no performance 4t has any emissions control equip either. If you're concerned about the emissions from burning 4-6 gals of gas to play on a moto in the mountains, dirt biking is not for you. It's that simple.

The main maintenance difference is that you'll need to do a top end every 1-200 hours (maybe you can go a lot longer but most think it's better to prevent than repair), and on a 2t it's like $250 and 90 mins. On a 4t it's multiples of that, and most people don't have the tools to properly put in new valves & seats and to then lap them, so they end up paying a shop like $1500 for it.

I agree that suspension is important, but it's not the dark art tuners make it out to be. Simple fork shim changes with new oil should cost maybe $200, not $700+. Or DIY. I put KYB SSS forks (heavenly tuned by me) on my latest KTM and they are way better than anything WP has offered (I've never ridden cone valves). WP shocks can be a bitch bc of the bleeding procedure, but tuning is still just shim changes--no $$$ incantations needed.

sorry to see a little humor over one's choice of MC darkens someone's day so badly.

Go get your xr400 and have fun. Just don't lie to yourself that it isn't a big, heavy, poorly suspended tank.

But any moto is fun, so go fly and be free

Btw most modern 4 stokes don't need a top end ever.

My Husaberg had 6000 miles and valves were still in spec.

I'm at 200 hours on the KTM 350 and engine is still tight.

I get engine tear downs were the norm for a long time. Racers do it no matter what. Normal people should be able to ride, oil change, clean filter, replace tires and never do anything more.

Dirt bikes attract people who like to tinker. I've done my fair share. Now they are so good I just slap a few armor parts on and go shred.

(I've had this conversation in real life too many times. The people who get that it is like many flavors of ice cream are wiser than the stubborn ones)

7kmachine shim stacks are $153. I don't think I would have been successful by myself but a riding buddy understands all things suspension so after 3 or so hours it was done.

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    7kmachine shim stacks are $153. I don't think I would have been successful by myself but a riding buddy understands all things suspension so after 3 or so hours it was done.
    That sounds like a good option. Paying $1500 for a fork tune (common!) is just dumb.

One of my kids put his full face on a couple of weeks ago after not using it for a while and said all excitedly, Dad it smells like 2 stroke inside. Shit like that warms my old heart...
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!

That is NOT what my helmet smells like after a few 100 degree rides last week

Agreed. Thankfully helmet liners are washable

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    That sounds like a good option. Paying $1500 for a fork tune (common!) is just dumb.
    Who's charging that much? I don't believe that's common. Kreft, one of the more expensive WP tuners in the US was $1228 for the forks and that's with the microfinish.
    My Montana has an East Infection

Quote Originally Posted by Mountainman View Post
    Who's charging that much? I don't believe that's common. Kreft, one of the more expensive WP tuners in the US was $1228 for the forks and that's with the microfinish.
    I just saw a thread on the EXC FB group where several people were complaining that Konflict had charged them north of $4000 for suspension work and not delivered, then went out of business. People seem to love paying for that snake oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    Always put Castrol in my 2 strokes and the smell of burning castor oil still makes me horny. These days you can pick your smell. Should I run blueberry or cotton candy today?

https://www.summitracing.com/search/...tOrder=Default
    This is hilarious. What's in that stuff?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Chris Burandt got us a little 16g barrel of Polaris ves extreme a couple years ago that was strawberry scented. I think it was some Polaris team rider special edition oil. Quite a bit nicer smelling than the klotz we usually run.

Been putting in a lot of miles lately. Really muddy so been power washing a lot as well. Monsoon season has the flowers popping a little less than usual