Page 26 of 151 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    I like the buell styling...although I haven't actually ridden on myself. Supposedly they have a real low center of gravity which makes them real snappy to turn. I looked pretty hard at the Firebolt X12R for a while, but it doesn't fit my 37'' inseam very well.

...maybe if the weather lightens up around here i'll head over to the HD dealership and test ride one...just for fun.
    The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

Quote Originally Posted by CYLax View Post
    I like the buell styling...although I haven't actually ridden on myself. Supposedly they have a real low center of gravity which makes them real snappy to turn. I looked pretty hard at the Firebolt X12R for a while, but it doesn't fit my 37'' inseam very well.

...maybe if the weather lightens up around here i'll head over to the HD dealership and test ride one...just for fun.
    the XB12Ss is a longer frame and is supposed to be better for bigger riders (i got short legs, but am 6'2)

they do have a lower center of gravity, the tank is actually an air box. fuel is in the frame, oil in the swing arm. that funky black thing under the bike is the exhaust. and the reason for the weird brake discs is to lighten up the wheels, supposedly the wheels weigh 7# less than most sport bikes.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

I'm 6'2" and ride a Buell M2 Cyclone almost daily. They're not very low, in fact they used to have "L" models for shorter riders.

Buells are awesome. So much torque, so flickable due to the low center of gravity.... they are also quite short and only weigh about 420# or so. Erik Buell specifically designed these bikes for twisties. You'll love it.

meh...everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I personally like the styling a lot. "Flowing lines" aren't really the intent of the design, it's a naked bike...engine, suspension, wheels & tires; no fancy designs here other than the single sided swing arm.

That picture doesn't really do it justice (it was the first one I came across)...this one looks much better.

okay, it's a stretch
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I'm 6'2" and ride a Buell M2 Cyclone almost daily. They're not very low, in fact they used to have "L" models for shorter riders.

Buells are awesome. So much torque, so flickable due to the low center of gravity.... they are also quite short and only weigh about 420# or so. Erik Buell specifically designed these bikes for twisties. You'll love it.
    got the financing squared away, managed a $1500 discount on a 2006, pick it up tomorrow. so stoked!

my first ride on the thing will be 2.5 hours home from the nearest dealer!

now i just have to start workign on getting rid of that license plate holder.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

take two....like I said, Lush in Vt. today. Jeezus I thought i had this pic thing licked

NICE Honda! '70s CB750?
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Not mine, I cross posted this in kayak forum this AM.

The bandit looks like a pretty cool bike.

Last edited by SuperChief; 06-02-2007 at 10:21 PM.

I like that trailer idea. Looks like considerable time and thought went into customizing the hook up. Thought about doing a similar thing for my canoe a while back.
    Boarderline, yeah that's a 1974 CB750 Four. I can't recall all the specifics right now, but apparently everyone owes a little homage to this bike. What I do know of the history , the 1969 version is the holy grail. It was the first production bike successfully offering four cylinders to the public, thus making it THEE big bike of it's day. Supposedly revolutionized the motorcycle scene. I'll dig up some more dick waving on this thing cause I gots lots of info buried somewhere. It's a sweet ride.

And when one looks at this bike, one must think of Buddha's eyebrow..

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    Heh.
    Had one of those (minus the sissy bar) in black.

Got the bike free, restored and tuned it. Enjoyed it mightily.
    Then some fucktard stripped it for parts (all 4 carbs, battery, front tire, etc) and my fun was over. Man that sucked.
    . . .

Talking

dude, in motorcycle terms.. it's a bitch bar
    sorry about your loss

Quote Originally Posted by fez View Post

Looks good mang! :dblthumb

I'm pretty sure you can get a fender eliminator kit for that bike...that'll clean up the hideous license plate holder.

Hopefully that 2.5hr ride of your will have some twists and turns involved...straight for that long is no fun. Get some comfy headphones and load up the iPod.
    The educational benefit most receive outweighs those that will be lost in the process

the ride wasnt bad, my ass is kind of sore, but my back is fine. the seat isnt especially comfortable. they make a gel one-up seat i may get, my wife took one look at the thing and said there was no way in hell she was going to ride on the back of that. so maybe pull the rear pegs (the whole mount is easy to remove) and get the one-up.

to be honest, im still a little scared of the bike, there is an incredible amount of torque that i have to get used to. it wants to lift the front wheel even at low rpm. and the brakes are almost as scary, the thing will stop on a dime for sure. i cant wait til i get past the break in period and get the feel for the bike. i have a feeling im going to have lots of fun!

i felt like a jong cornering slow and upright rather than getting the thing leaned over. part of it was because of the engine break in period, i'm not supposed to get the rpms up over 3k for the first 500 miles. kind of hard to gun out of a corner when you cant rev the motor very much (red line is around 7k). part of it was being out of practice, i havent ridden a bike in over a year and havent been on anything fast in 10 years.

there were some corners on the ride, but mostly interstate (with some 55 and 60 mph corners). I-15 from great falls to helena is a beautiful stretch of road. i had a hard time keeping my eyes on the road and not scanning the mo for risers.

i wish i had my mp3 player, i somehow got the new gwen stefani song stuck in my head for the entire ride (damn helena radio on the drive up). the earbuds for my mp3 don't fit under my helmet very well. anyone know if there is a helmet with a tuneups type system?
    Ben Franklin

anyone know if there is a helmet with a tuneups type system?
    I thought helmets were for pussies in MT.

Just kidding, that thing looks fucking sweet.

anyone know if there is a helmet with a tuneups type system?
    Congrats on the new bike dude.

There's really nothing out there like the tuneups for ski helmets. The closest you can get is a chatterbox (communicator system) that will plug into your mp3 player. I'd suggest buying some really small ear buds if you want to listen to music....it's the cheaper alternative.

got a new summer weight jacket:

I got the all black one...$109.00 on sale.
    should be a little more comfortable given the 90 degree weather we've been having this week

Good looking jacket. I have a Cortech GX-Air for my summer jacket, though I rarely wear it. My regular leather jacket and suit are perforated so as long as I'm moving I stay plenty cool...just sucks when you're not moving.

Here's my latest purchase:

...and as of late I've been lusting after a high mount exhaust for my bike. No real reason other than aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by train07 View Post
    I like that trailer idea. Looks like considerable time and thought went into customizing the hook up. Thought about doing a similar thing for my canoe a while back.
    Boarderline, yeah that's a 1974 CB750 Four. I can't recall all the specifics right now, but apparently everyone owes a little homage to this bike. What I do know of the history , the 1969 version is the holy grail. It was the first production bike successfully offering four cylinders to the public, thus making it THEE big bike of it's day. Supposedly revolutionized the motorcycle scene. I'll dig up some more dick waving on this thing cause I gots lots of info buried somewhere. It's a sweet ride.

And when one looks at this bike, one must think of Buddha's eyebrow..
    Yep, good bikes. My wife has an 82. , and I have a Suzuki 80 GS1000. Gotta love the '70s and '80s UJMs.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Finally joined the club myself. Just picked up an '01 Suzuki Katana 750. Bought it in Albuquerque and rode 400 miles back to Moab that day. Don't have a pic yet, but the bike is in amazing shape for an '01. Only 4000 miles.

question for the moto-peeps. is it typical that one buys there first bike, learns to ride said bike and within a week is already craving the power of a 996 or R1.

if this is typical than i'm as normal as vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by Alkasquawlik View Post
    question for the moto-peeps. is it typical that one buys there first bike, learns to ride said bike and within a week is already craving the power of a 996 or R1.

Latest and greatest: Gotta have it.

Welcome to the club.

I'm pretty sure you can get a fender eliminator kit for that bike...that'll clean up the hideous license plate holder...
    You really don't want to do that if you ride in the rain at all... the wheel is so exposed it gets your back soaked (and filthy!) That LP holder is the only thing I don't like about that bike.

the ride wasnt bad, my ass is kind of sore, but my back is fine. the seat isnt especially comfortable. they make a gel one-up seat i may get...maybe pull the rear pegs (the whole mount is easy to remove) and get the one-up.
    Also look into the Corbin Gunslinger. Really nice saddle, and it's designed that you sit on your ass, not your crotch. The aftermarket seats will never be as comfy as a cruiser seat tho, so if you're used to foot-forward riding just stop comparing...
    ...i'm not supposed to get the rpms up over 3k for the first 500 miles. kind of hard to gun out of a corner when you cant rev the motor very much (red line is around 7k). part of it was being out of practice, i havent ridden a bike in over a year and havent been on anything fast in 10 years.
    Definitely do the break in as suggested (500 miles under 60mph and under 3k rpm.) I know it's tempting but you'll have gasket problems for the life of your bike if you don't do it. Just pick a circular 50 mile route and ride it as often as possible. You only have what, 300 miles to go? That's only 6 rides - doable in a week!
    the earbuds for my mp3 don't fit under my helmet very well. anyone know if there is a helmet with a tuneups type system?
    I use the Sony MDR-EX 71 earbuds. They sound great and fit fine under the helmet. they're even comfy for an in-ear headphone.
    question for the moto-peeps. is it typical that one buys there first bike, learns to ride said bike and within a week is already craving the power of a 996 or R1...
    Maybe you shouldn't have bought a girl bike....

I think Buell dealers will give you almost full credit if you trade in a Blast for one of their big boy bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderline View Post
    Yep, good bikes. My wife has an 82. , and I have a Suzuki 80 GS1000. Gotta love the '70s and '80s UJMs.
    Had a '75 CB750F thru college, moved out west on a GS850GX. Both great bikes at the time...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

It never goes away...there's always this little voice in the back of my head screaming "GO FASTER! MORE POWER!"
    The hard part is learning to temper the voice to keep your speeding ticket and new bike budget in check.

Quote Originally Posted by tex1230 View Post
    It never goes away...there's always this little voice in the back of my head screaming "GO FASTER! MORE POWER!"
    The hard part is learning to temper the voice to keep your speeding ticket and new bike budget in check.
    Just got a verbal warning and a larger rear sprocket today, in fact.