Page 95 of 151 FirstFirst ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 3756

Maggot motorcycle stoke thread

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Okay, I’m in. I just picked up this beauty and had a great ride driving it home. I’m pretty pleased with its performance, I think I chose well. I have some work to do getting it outfitted and getting myself back in the groove
    Attachment 283428
    Thruxton? Nice bike. Good value.

As I’m within 2 yrs now of moving back west, I am dreaming of twisty Mtn roads and a new bike.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Thruxton? Nice bike. Good value.
    It’s hard to tell from that angle, but it’s a Bonneville, ‘14, picked it up with <1800 miles on it. Just got back from a beautiful spring morning ride. So much fun.

Gotta work on my low speed moves.

Mind the gravel too...

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    Mind the gravel too...
    Right? Especially at low speed...and turning.

Just want to throw out a general be safe.

I almost bit it hard today. Totally my fault.

In 30 years of riding, skiing, climbing, doing other dumb shit, I don't think I've walked away from anything like today.

Totally my fault, but word to the wiser. What was I thinking? Holy shit, glad to be alive.

The sad thing is I didn't get the adrenaline shakes.

I pulled over and looked at the hills and waited for the hit to come, but it didn't.

And mentally, I'm terrified by what just happened.

Inattention? Overconfidence? Miscalculation? Hubris? Random mistake?

Glad you’re still with us...!

I went into a 25 corner at 95. There was a car. I had new tires and I'm knee down drifting with slow traction. Into the dirt, grass, rocks, over a cliff, stay on throttle, back to pavement, left hand 25 mph, back on the knee back in the shit, same thing. Back on pavement, on the brakes finally. Hand on hip, back to 40, and should have lost my life and my shit.

I didn't. I don't know why. Maybe because I know that throttle is the answer and I've ridden a shitton of dirt, or maybe because I've done a lot of nice things for people lately.

WTF was I thinking. I could have just coasted behind, but I was in 2nd, and 100 is literally millimeters away on my right hand.

So, hubris.

Lesson learned, and I (did not) got off realllllly easy.

I spaced. I was fully committed and it never crossed my mind at the time that there would be a car around that corner, doing the speed limit. Duh.

I had to stand it up, take the ride. I cannot understand how I made it through that corner and the next without plunging to my death, or the recovery, into a wall.

What scares me most is that my body just reacted, and the lack of jitters.

I don't want to be that stupid again, and I highly recommend you don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Inattention? Overconfidence? Miscalculation? Hubris? Random mistake?
    Alright, you made me think, which is a gift, because when I ride, I usually do.

I'm comfortable at big speeds over limits in curves, but I completely got fucked by my brain. Triple the limit in corners is not a big deal for me, but I just got dumb. Well, quite a bit more then that, but.

It's not a track, and I almost died.

I'm just taking it in and I am very glad that I don't have to tell this story to any riders that I know besides the internet. Or to the obit. I was a dumbass.

I learned, I lived, I don't need that lesson again. I'm not 18. I've been riding hard for decades. I got cocky, and it almost cost me my life. Stupid stupid stupid, Me.

Appreciate the rundown, and glad you're here to give it.

Me too, thanks. I don't wish that lesson on anyone. I was an old dipshit.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Me too, thanks. I don't wish that lesson on anyone. I was an old dipshit.
    Holy shit. Glad you're still here. Live to ride another day. And great on your family.

Man MTM! Glad you got away with that, and had the skills embedded in your subconscious to hold on.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

A good reminder that there is always a car around the corner, or we should ride like there is one. Im not a super experienced rider, so I dont get over confident on a bike, but I have been guilty of the same behavior behind the wheel of a car and had a similar experience.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Damn MTM. Glad you’re safe and ok.

Rubber side down
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

^ Not railing on the MTM situation at all, but it is extremely sobering. love the wind, like the speed a little. I HATE gong more than about 50. In the summer I commute to work 2-3 days a week on the two-wheeler, involves 12 miles on a big four-lane highway against traffic. I get in the far right lane, avge 60-65, and the fuckin people wizzing by on the left and cutting accross to the exits scares the shit outta me. Think Toast said you gottta have the head on a swivil and damn that's the truth. in 5 yrs now I'm yet to do anything more than feel the back tire skid the tiniest bit on a hard brake. Knock on wood.

/blog
    "Can't you see..."

You roadies r nucking futz!

MS. I wish you got a dirtbike so we could rally the desert singletrack together. B

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

I just participated in my first ever road book bike rally. I am a bit too novice on trails to do anything more than survive and enjoy the experience. But what an experience it has been.
    The location is small town Wyoming with a lot of BLM, so there are some awesome local characters, some wonderful people, and some colorfully disgruntled locals. The participants are a small but great community of enthusiasts. Parallel to a maggot summit. Like a maggot summit, it is all informal to just keep it simple.
    Rural central WY and rain don’t mix well so the first day was flagged while it dried out. Day two and it was on. Some hasty last minute reroute to avoid the muck missed a key turn in the road book so the field pretty much got leveled as people ran in circles trying to solve the problem.
    The crowd ranged in age from 13 to 82, 140cc to 950. Dakar veterans, hopefullys and me looking for a challenge. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5330.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	252.2 KB 
ID:	283917
    The riding parter I had planned on riding with, had an unfortunate encounter with the gas tank and his pelvis thanks to a washout. He and his wife went back to town to get checked so I was on my own beside the sweep crew patiently following. The riding was amazing, mix of trails and 2track gravel to clay, ridges and washed. I wasted some time checking out the scenery. Later in the afternoon a dark cloud dropped a few sprinkles on me. A few miles later the trail went sloppy. Front and rear tires all over the place. I stuck it out getting better at keeping it straight. Then the hills started to get a little more significant. I can not remember when I first dropped the bike, but it happened somewhere on a climb. The going was rough but continuing on seemed to be the only way out. Then I catch up to the tail end of the rest of the pack pulling bikes up hill, tracks everywhere like a snake orgy. Faaaack!!! I pulled off my sweat drenched helmet and caught my breath. A sweep rider caught up to me, his front tire just skidding on the mud. Well still only one way out, I went for it dumping the bike once near the base. Some how with dumb luck, 690 power and ski legs I made it to the top without assistance. Sweet all good, nope over that hill was another hill, and another for about another 2.5 miles. There were a few times I dumped the bike that I just laid over it and contemplated life. Finally I made it onto a ridge top road. The views were spectacular, green, red, grey valley surrounded by snow covered peaks.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5332.JPG 
Views:	75 
Size:	214.2 KB 
ID:	283915
    My energy was cached, water was out, time was limited, and I had no appetite for more Dino snot. So I rode the pavement back to town, just coasting into base camp after running out of gas.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	58051234983__20428511-15DD-4C87-BD4D-91916F65534C.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	222.7 KB 
ID:	283914

- I am here for the stoke

Maggot motorcycle stoke thread

Day two was much dryer, I figured out I would be better suited for the Big Bike (easier) route, after the out of body experience of waking up in the middle of the night fever hot my whole right leg between the knee and hip cramping.
    Approximately 200 miles of riding 80-90% off road. Still some mud and soft spots but over all good. The big bike route kept me closer to the pack cutting out some of the more technical sections. It was a treat getting passed by guys on five hundreds pulling wheelies, or watching the 950 skipping over ruts. The variety of terrain and scenery was exceptional. My favorite was the juniper ridges, weaving around them like race gates. I was hanging tight with the 82yo as he puttered along consistently on a borrowed 450 seated the whole time due to two bad knees. Late in the day the 13yo zipped past us on his 140 as we opened a gate. Only to burry it past the foot pegs in bentonite on the wrong side of a mud puddle (pond). Feeling beat I was pleased to have the last 10 miles of trail be bentonite mostly in dreamy state between dust and mud.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5336.JPG 
Views:	142 
Size:	260.5 KB 
ID:	283918
    My only casualty was feeling in my throttle hand not getting enough rest and not being in a dialed position. A couple cold plunges in Yellowstone lake on the way home has helped the swelling.

Overall it would be great to do more of these. Unfortunately few options exist. There is a Delicate balance between fading into oblivion, and becoming too big for its britches. In short there is a lot of fun riding to be had in Wyoming. Love it, just don’t love it to death.

- I am here for the stoke

Quote Originally Posted by skinipenem View Post
    You roadies r nucking futz!

MS. I wish you got a dirtbike so we could rally the desert singletrack together. B
    Maybe my next bike.

MTM - Damn dog, I woulda liked to have seen that display of skills required to save the day. Solid work.

Fortunately for me, my riding environment allows for going over 100 almost at will; excellent roads with big visibility and a lack of traffic. Straight as an arrow for miles or twisty for fun.
    OTOH, I do not care for 75-95 mph in traffic on I-15 thru SLC.

Bruce SS - Good lord man, that looks like a ton o' fun. Wish I had my old KLR for summa that. For those not in the know, the light dusty dirt covering Wyoming, mixed with a light drizzle can become impassable pretty quick. Mud factor 12.
    A friend and I were gonna ride the Union pass rd but got turned back by weather at Cora. Decided to go up Cliff creek from Bondurant to the Fire lookout. Got rained on up top, lightning hits the shack we were in, huge grounding post from the rooftop, then his dr 250 gets mucked in 100 yds. I carried the two of us down and out/back to jh. Rode through all the sagebrush to scrape mud off while slow rolling it. Good living right there.

^^^^^Holla G. - I need you to ride my FZ to the park and back...interested? Seriously. pm me.

Does this following me home make me officially old?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190529_073237.jpeg 
Views:	106 
Size:	151.5 KB 
ID:	284121

Sent from my SM-G892A using TGR Forums mobile app

You are only old if you need three wheels.

A friend has that same bike...sweet ride, but just not comfortable for me. I just dont fit in it right.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot