Page 14 of 151 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    2. Unless phUnk is being a bit "Coloradan" in his speed estimate I fear we will write his obituary on this board. Anything over 100 on public roads is idiotic, and he strikes me as smarter than that. God (or Moroni) made trackdays for a reason.
    Taste Death. Live Life.

oh, and buzz, your daughter called and she wanted me to ask you to wear a goddamn helmet any time you're on the bike wtf.

Quote Originally Posted by phUnk
    oh, and buzz, your daughter called and she wanted me to ask you to wear a goddamn helmet any time you're on the bike wtf.
    yeah, yeah, I know.

reality is it sometimes does not make it to my head
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

I finally get to join this thread. I just got my motorcycle permit (I'm 36 and felt like I was 16 again waiting in line at the DMV).

I'm taking a Motorcycle safety class in 2 weeks- one of those 3-day-in-a-row classes with the road test at the end.

Afterwards I'll be riding a 10yr old Honda Shadow until I get safe for real.

Woo hoo!

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by helmetcam
    I finally get to join this thread. I just got my motorcycle permit (I'm 36 and felt like I was 16 again waiting in line at the DMV).

I'm taking a Motorcycle safety class in 2 weeks- one of those 3-day-in-a-row classes with the road test at the end.

Woo hoo!

Nice, looks like you are on the right track! Hell, my Shadow is 5 years old, that is not old.

Keep your ears on and your eyes open and you shall learn a lot in that course.

Where are you at?

Of course, your post is worthless without pics of bike.

Quote Originally Posted by helmetcam

Woo hoo!
    Good on ya for taking the MSF course. They'll teach you a lot of stuff you might not figure out on your own, like the proper way to countersteer.

And my bike is 26 years old, and is faster than a lot of new bikes. It's all about the condition and performance of your bike and how much fun you have riding it, not its age.
    Last edited by boarderline; 08-29-2006 at 04:36 PM.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

Quote Originally Posted by boarderline
    Good on ya for taking the MSF course. They'll teach you a lot of stuff you might not figure out on your own, like the proper way to countersteer.

You can get a motorcycle license in the US without knowing countersteering ?
    I mean, there're several post here where people seem to take riding lessons after they get their license. Or am I missing something ?
    "Typically euro, french in particular, in my opinion. It's the same skiing or climbing there. They are completely unfazed by their own assholeness. Like it's normal." - srsosbso

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy
    Nice, looks like you are on the right track! Hell, my Shadow is 5 years old, that is not old.

Keep your ears on and your eyes open and you shall learn a lot in that course.

Where are you at?
    I'm in downstate NY, so its not exactly rural. I'll keep my rides to early morning on weekends until I get comfortable. Business parks on the weekends make nice open parking lots for practicing.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR

You can get a motorcycle license in the US without knowing countersteering ?
    I mean, there're several post here where people seem to take riding lessons after they get their license. Or am I missing something ?
    You're not, and you would cry as to what's "required" here to get a motorcycle license. No wonder so many kids kill themselves.

One thing I'd borrow from the European model is the displacement limit for certain ages (i.e. new riders are limited to 400cc bikes or less.)

That's very cool, boarderline. I've had four different great danes. Really sweet creatures.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

2. Unless phUnk is being a bit "Coloradan" in his speed estimate I fear we will write his obituary on this board. Anything over 100 on public roads is idiotic, and he strikes me as smarter than that. God (or Moroni) made trackdays for a reason.
    I worry about certain Coloradans. (sp?)

Why he's not posting, I don't understand - he ordered all new exterior plastic part thingys for his bike.

I learned to drive a motorcycle in Texas. Never had a license for it, never had a class. And we didn't need no stinkin helmets either.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

judt curious... I'm sure i had some pics in my post above, but now all i see are question marks.....is it just me and lousy browser, or does anyone else get the question marks where pics should be?.. and if so what happened?..i'm sure they posted earlier.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by train07
    judt curious... I'm sure i had some pics in my post above, but now all i see are question marks.....is it just me and lousy browser, or does anyone else get the question marks where pics should be?.. and if so what happened?..i'm sure they posted earlier.
    I get question marks here.

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    I worry about certain Coloradans. (sp?)

Why he's not posting, I don't understand

maybe....just maybe...his ip got banned
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

I was so jonesing for a different bike that I changed mine around a bit.

Put the rear suspension back on, turned the bars upright, removed the springs from my seat, put full muffled pipes on, removed forward controls and went with mids. I think thats all. I synched my carbs. Like a different bike.

Rode all night, literally from sundown to sunrise the other night...like 300 miles crisscrossing the city at night, back and forth. So much city riding I had to adjust my clutch twice.

I'm dying for something different. I really want another buell S1. That's going on my list for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by nick > jesus

Honda Trail 90 circa 1970
    I got it really cheep, I need to replace the whole electrical system though, all the sudden late last summer it started short circuiting batteries, two new ones in a row.

I couldent help but see your electric problem. Get a multimeter and shoot for shorts to ground on the (+) and(-) leads to your batt. I would be willing to bet you have a wire touching part of the frame. If you have any questions pm me.
    Some people see skiing as a sport, to me its a way of life.

I bought it yesterday

I leave in 2 weeks for 2-3 weeks with me, my helmet, and the KLX650, Can't wait.......

Post Dogs like motorcyles too, or something like a quick hijack

That's very cool, boarderline. I've had four different great danes. Really sweet creatures.

Just so we get it straight, that is MY Dane . He is so cool! Zanik. 9 years old, 160 lbs now, he was 180 when he was younger and this is our second.

There will be a third soon enough and then more. I love them, no other dog is for us and I am not allergic either. All things point to more "gentle giants"

Zanik:

The late Kaya, lost her Nov 15, 2005 to cancer:

He followed and learned everything from her:

End Hijack, back to Motorcycle stoke.

Verb!!! Holy wow! I likey!!!!
    Last edited by Buzzworthy; 08-30-2006 at 09:51 AM.

You're not, and you would cry as to what's "required" here to get a motorcycle license. No wonder so many kids kill themselves.

One thing I'd borrow from the European model is the displacement limit for certain ages (i.e. new riders are limited to 400cc bikes or less.)
    No kidding.

To get a motorcycle permit in Utah, you have to be 18, provide a normal license, take an OPEN BOOK TEST and you get your 6 month permit. Done, besides paying for the permit.

That is why the safety courses are so crucial to riders that want to stay alive.

Why he's not posting, I don't understand - he ordered all new exterior plastic part thingys for his bike.
    Who buys new plastic for a bike that old?

Just so we get it straight, that is MY Dane . He is so cool! Zanik. 9 years old, 160 lbs now, he was 180 when he was younger and this is our second.

There will be a third soon enough and then more. I love them, no other dog is for us and I am not allergic either. All things point to more "gentle giants"

Zanik:

So sweet. Nine years old - that is awesome. Ours never lived so long. We even had a blue that died of a congenital heart condition really young. That was harsh.

They are the sweetest, most mellow dogs. With a big Woof!
    Henry David Thoreau

Zanik is indeed very mellow and sweet. Very dog.

Zanik:

SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.

No kidding.

To get a motorcycle permit in Utah, you have to be 18, provide a normal license, take an OPEN BOOK TEST and you get your 6 month permit. Done, besides paying for the permit.

That is why the safety courses are so crucial to riders that want to stay alive.
    In NY there is a 20 question, 10 minute MAXIMUM closed book test to get the permit. Half the questions were about alcohol and its effects on riding/judgement, 3-4 questions of what certain road signs mean, and only about 5 questions specifically about motorcycles.

You need only get a 14 out of 21 to pass.

The main restriction of a permit is that you are required to be within 1/4 mile from a licenced rider. So basically you can be out there with everyone else that same day.

No kidding.

It was actually a closed book test a few months ago when I took the permit written exam. You had to get 80% to pass. The MSF written test was actually much tougher. I'd be in favor of making people take the MSF class before they are allowed to get a full license - that way you learn practical riding skills and develop good habits before you given free reign to ride on the street. Might save some lives, kind of like seatbelt laws.
    SELECT IQ
    FROM
    Users
    WHERE
    IQ > 0

0 Row(s) affected.