Page 144 of 151 FirstFirst ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ... LastLast
Results 3,576 to 3,600 of 3764
    Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    ooh I kind of want this.
    Remind me- you are in colorado?
    Yes. 80435.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Yes. 80435.
    cool thanks. I will be in your zone in July to visit my brother’s family. I will think about it.
    I love trail riding but when I no longer had trucks, I also sold my dirt bike. Having a trail worthy plated dirt bike has been on my radar
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    I love trail riding but when I no longer had trucks, I also sold my dirt bike. Having a trail worthy plated dirt bike has been on my radar
    And hubs just bought a new mountain bike so treat yo self?

My wife had a sweet ski plane accessed touring trip in AK so in her absence I wound up with a new mountain bike.

that seems reasonable!
    skid luxury

I've been trying to convince Ms CE that a WRR would be in her quiver, but she already has 2 motos that she doesn't ride so I'm not getting very far.

If I were choosing a moto for a long dual sport trip where reliability and fuel economy trumped performance, WRR all the way. In fairness, it's not what I'd call a "trail worthy plated dirt bike", though. It's about 80# too heavy for that.
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    I've been trying to convince Ms CE that a WRR would be in her quiver, but she already has 2 motos that she doesn't ride so I'm not getting very far.

If I were choosing a moto for a long dual sport trip where reliability and fuel economy trumped performance, WRR all the way. In fairness, it's not what I'd call a "trail worthy plated dirt bike", though. It's about 80# too heavy for that.
    Yes and no. Ive ridden a shit ton of singletrack and desert tech on that bike. But Im a bigger guy and just dont know any better. One thing that a lot of people complain about is the height. I am 6’2” and it is still pretty tall for me. You can lower it but not much. You can also shave the seat down. But the tail of the bike sticks up really high. Like a good 5” higher than my wr450f. So it make it a tough bike for most ladies, and even most men. Personally though, I really like the bike and hate to see it go.

If you look at the ADVrider forum, that is the setup people always recommend for the TAT, especially the western half:
    wr250 with a huge tank

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    If you look at the ADVrider forum, that is the setup people always recommend for the TAT, especially the western half:
    wr250 with a huge tank
    Yeah rode it today. Love this bike. I really wish yamaha would make the exact same bike with a bigger engine. It really is a perfect mini-adv bike. And really, thats what a lot of these guys need. The maintenance intervals alone make it an incredible travel bike.

We've been wishing for a 500 class dual sport that weighs 280# and has 45 HP but only requires occasional maintenance plus has a decent seat and strong subframe, a 5 gallon tank, and gets 60mpg. Also real suspension, not the neutered short travel shit they put on the WRR/CRF. I know they can make it, but the market seems to push for ever lower weight and unusable amounts of power. On the other end they keep making 600# behemoths that have 150hp and cost $25k.

And here I am with a Husky 630, which weighs like 315# and has 55hp, but at least it holds more than .7L of oil. If it were just a little lower it would be pretty much perfect for me.

500 exc or xcw fits that bill

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    That was definitely on my list. Maintenance intervals and price were the main detractors. But it is a very nice bike that I still want to own someday.

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Mama, I wanna go fast

Attachment 459961

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    I don’t really like forward controls, but lots of people do. My brother in law has a Big Dog and it’s fun to run it around town for like 20 minutes til I can’t take the riding position, lol.

FWIW I don’t love the laid out sport bike position either.

The ergonomics on that make it a nonstarter for me, not to mention the hardtail.

Sharp to look at but the reach from bars to seat and back out to pegs makes for an awkward riding position for me. I suspect it's easier for a taller rider like whyturn.

I’ve been following this Aussie bloke and his purchase, shakedown, and restoration of an old Africa Twin…

Quote Originally Posted by tellybele View Post
    Not really. I've ridden those and owned a 525. They are pretty high strung and not comfortable for putting down big miles. But yes, if one is almost exclusively on dirt and is willing to do a lot of modification to the moto for long trip use, they do last much longer than expected.

KTM could add 30# worth of subframe, better seat, better lighting, 5 gal tank, 1-2L more oil capacity, and get the fuel economy up from 40 to 60. That would be the dream DS bike, IMO.

Not really. I've ridden those and owned a 525. They are pretty high strung and not comfortable for putting down big miles. But yes, if one is almost exclusively on dirt and is willing to do a lot of modification to the moto for long trip use, they do last much longer than expected.

KTM could add 30# worth of subframe, better seat, better lighting, 5 gal tank, 1-2L more oil capacity, and get the fuel economy up from 40 to 60. That would be the dream DS bike, IMO.
    Coo, yeah I was thinking about a bike for dirt. I don't have really any road experience except for short sections linking singletrack stuffs in ID and the roads are pretty empty. I'm also a bit road adverse having volunteered a little with ambulance/rural fire houses when I was younger. Vehicle v moto was about the worst thing I'd hear over the callbox and then what I saw shortly thereafter. Good luck with your DS endeavors and am following this as I hope to get one in a couple years to compliment my 2stroke stuff with some moto camping

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    The ergonomics on that make it a nonstarter for me, not to mention the hardtail.

Sharp to look at but the reach from bars to seat and back out to pegs makes for an awkward riding position for me. I suspect it's easier for a taller rider like whyturn.
    It has suspension. My old back can’t take a hard tail. My 34 inseam and ape arms make it really comfortable. I used to rail the canyons in the Angeles crest and Malibu. I was surprised how well it handled. This one handles better with 250 tire and shorter rake.

Some day it will be an adventure bike to add to the quiver. But really I wanted lighter than the bagger

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

For off road I’m convinced the big ADV bikes are way overkill.

I got my Africa Twin to crush road miles which it does so well, but I honestly would want something in a 400 or 650 or something for any serious amount of off road. The weight and size is too cumbersome, IMO. People with real off road skills I’m sure do fine, but I’ve never understood wanting/needing that much displacement for off road riding.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    For off road I’m convinced the big ADV bikes are way overkill.

I got my Africa Twin to crush road miles which it does so well, but I honestly would want something in a 400 or 650 or something for any serious amount of off road. The weight and size is too cumbersome, IMO. People with real off road skills I’m sure do fine, but I’ve never understood wanting/needing that much displacement for off road riding.
    IMO, the place where the big bikes shine is when you want to ride 60 or 80 miles of two-lane tarmac, meet up with a crew and ride a mix of maintained gravel, somewhat maintained gravel, and somewhat used to be a road, and then ride home. I took my R1150GS lots of places that would've been better suited to my 525, but even after I got the 525 I found myself more inclined to ride the BMW on anything that wasn't consistently super rough. The limitation for rough stuff was partially my skill level and even more so my fitness level; after the third time I had to pick the big bike up on a given day, I'd tend to have a lot less in my tank for technical riding.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    IMO, the place where the big bikes shine is when you want to ride 60 or 80 miles of two-lane tarmac, meet up with a crew and ride a mix of maintained gravel, somewhat maintained gravel, and somewhat used to be a road, and then ride home. I took my R1150GS lots of places that would've been better suited to my 525, but even after I got the 525 I found myself more inclined to ride the BMW on anything that wasn't consistently super rough. The limitation for rough stuff was partially my skill level and even more so my fitness level; after the third time I had to pick the big bike up on a given day, I'd tend to have a lot less in my tank for technical riding.
    Yeah, that's definitely the sweet spot for those big ADVs, but picking them up is a huge pain in the ass for sure.

It has suspension. My old back can’t take a hard tail. My 34 inseam and ape arms make it really comfortable. I used to rail the canyons in the Angeles crest and Malibu. I was surprised how well it handled. This one handles better with 250 tire and shorter rake.

Some day it will be an adventure bike to add to the quiver. But really I wanted lighter than the bagger

This is very cool hearing about how choppers could conceivably handle well. I had no idea. And the ape hanger thing being comfortable as well. I guess I never talk to hairy bearded chopper guys much...

Thanks for edumacating me whyturn. If I ever head down that way on the scooter I'd love to trade bikes for an hour.
    “I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, A Man Without a Country

www.mymountaincoop.ca

This is OUR mountain - come join us!

This is the other ride, the bagger. It’s not ape hangers for me they are at or below shoulder level

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1685401004.699958.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	460257

I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

This is the other ride, the bagger. It’s not ape hangers for me they are at or below shoulder level

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1685401004.699958.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	175.2 KB 
ID:	460257

You have some sweet bikes! I miss riding. Got rid of mine a little while back to get my truck and RV trailer.

Maggot motorcycle stoke thread

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Selling a 2008 WR250R if anyone is interested. Only 9449 miles. Great bike, plated, new drive train, tires, seat concepts seat, 4.7 gal tank and original stock tank. Asking $3500 OBO

Attachment 460017
    On more research and thanks for all the insight gang- obviously this bike will not work for me. I’m 5’7” so not a tiny person but I assumed this would not be so tall. thought the xl tank was just making it look bigger.
    I have had a ttr230 and crf230 so assumed the 250 wouldn’t be THAT much larger but alas.
    GL NR- the price seems right so I’m sure you’ll move it.
    skid luxury

Some company needs to make a real moto that's like 2" lower at the seat than usual. Not some milquetoast shit like a 230--put a real motor in there and real suspension on both ends and figure out how to make the seat lower. Engineer that shit, moto companies! It would sell!

Some company needs to make a real moto that's like 2" lower at the seat than usual. Not some milquetoast shit like a 230--put a real motor in there and real suspension on both ends and figure out how to make the seat lower. Engineer that shit, moto companies! It would sell!
    Fucken'eh!

I picked the 300L for it's compromise on seat height, engine and suspension travel. 34.7" seat height is manageable but still higher than I want. Seat concepts low seat dropped it maybe 1/2" and I might get the suspension done both to improve the valving and lower both fork and shock and inch or two. Undecided on amount at this point. I figure 8" of properly set up suspension will be a lot better than 10" of divey suspension. Power is plenty good enough for me.