Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marc Andre Belliveau paralyzed in ski accident, Help him out

MARC-ANDRE BELLIVEAU PARALYZED IN SKI ACCIDENT;
    - FUND ESTABLISHED TO SUPPORT RECOVERY -

Vancouver, B.C. and Salt Lake City, UT-- Marc-Andre Belliveau suffered a tragic accident on Monday, April 3, while skiing in the British Columbia interior, leaving him paralyzed from the waist down. StandStrongAgain.org has established a fund for all friends, fans and fellow skiers to help support Marc pay medical expenses and rebuild his life.

Visibility was poor on the day of the accident, and Marc lost his line in a technical area. He attempted to find his route down, but instead hit rocks that sent him tumbling into bigger, jagged rocks. Marc lost feeling in his legs immediately. After he was flown to the hospital, doctors discovered that he fractured his spine and permanently damaged his spinal cord.

Marc will remain in the Vancouver General Hospital until he can be transported home to Quebec, possibly in three to four weeks. Still less than a week after his accident, Marc is currently suffering severe pain and mental anguish, but staying positive by visiting with friends, listening to music, and dedicating himself to his rehabilitation.

“Marc-Andre is still himself, joking with his visitors and nurses, and singing songs,” said his sister, Rachel. “But there is a very long road ahead of him with a new reality we need to prepare for.”

Marc-Andre has brought passion, progression and panache to the ski industry over the past seven years. He made a grand entry into the scene in 1999 when he took third place at the U.S. Freeskiing Open Slopestyle Competition, which sparked a sponsorship with Volkl skis. Volkl gave him a travel budget, which allowed Marc to compete in New Zealand. There he met Steve Rozendaal, who invited him to film with Volume Video Magazine in Utah.

“I could see the passion in Marc from the start,” said Rozendaal. “He was willing to make it happen in any conditions and loved every second of it.”

While in Utah, Marc fell in love with backcountry skiing and even found a way to burn through three snowmobiles in as many years during his quest for easy-access to fresh powder. He produced mind-blowing segments in Teton Gravity Research films for six years and traveled across Europe, including places like Bulgaria and Turkey, as well as to Chile and Alaska. He was considered one of the best all-around skiers in the world.

Life after 26 will be vastly different for Marc. He will need all the support of family, friends and the industry that he contributed so much to. Marc and his family appreciate any help you can give.

Stand Strong Again was formed in 2005, shortly after Professional Freeskier Lars Veen from Norway, suffered a crash that left him without feeling or function below his chest. Lars was 18 years old at the time. Our mission is raise money from the action sports community to fund quality of life initiatives for people with spinal cord injuries, particularly those who suffered injuries as a result of action sports, and to fund spinal cord injury research that will lead to a cure. These funds will help those who have suffered spinal cord injuries better adjust to their life after their injury as well as provide support to research on spinal cord injuries so that in a time of question, we will have answers.
    The family requests that letters be sent to Marc in lieu of phone calls.

Vancouver General Hospital
    c/o Marc-Andre Belliveau
    855 West 12th Avenue
    Vancouver, BC V5Z 1M9
    CANADA
    ###

Marc Andre! I'm so bummed to hear this. He's such a great guy! Sending my love.

posi vibes++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

man, marc andre is a great, i hope he gets through this somehow

karma and vibes -- as much of it as I got. +++++++++++
    "Girl, let us freak."

++++++++++++++il n'y a que d'amour pour notre ami, marc, on est la pour toi!!+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++

my thoughts go out to him and his family. i hope he deals well with his physical and mental rehab. pull thru man, good luck to you

This board has been rocking the positive vibes since news of this tragedy was heard. I'm convinced he good karma flowing towards MAB has brought him this far.

Now - he needs us to pony up the moola. He will need a specialty van to move around, needs to make his entire home wheelchair accesible, wider doors, ramps, bathroom changes, etc. He has mounting medical bills. Here is where our community can really step up.

Plese go to [URL="http://www.StandStrongAgain.org"]to support the Marc Andre Fund.

This is the first step, The skiing community and TGR is planning some major events to help raise the desperatly needed funds for Marc. Please - he is one of us. He loves this sport, his enthusiasm for life & the passion he has for skiing has touched so many of us. Let's do our part to let him know we are there for him!

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    That's right Frozen, the good vibes are not enough. Everybody put your money where your vibes are and donate.

I put in a personal donation and am having the company I work for donate alot of gear for a future fundraiser.

So, lets keep the cash flowing and help Marc out--he truly is one of the best skiers and greatest guys in the world. Lets give him what he deserves

Quote Originally Posted by Super G
    That's right Frozen, the good vibes are not enough. Everybody put your money where your vibes are and donate.
    That's right F and G!!
    Done.

All you's other Utards best be breaking out the CC and dropping down some dough for him

Heal up MAB
    "... she'll never need a doctor; 'cause I check her out all day"

If we all take a little time to really help out, we can make this easier for him.

I shot an email to the head of the ski and snowboard club here at school. Ideally, i'd like every member to be aware of marc andre's situation, as well as doug coombs, the mammoth patrollers, and ej pop. They can then decide if they want to donate or not. If only a handful of people donate, it will have been worthwhile.

Another idea is to approach bar managers and ask if they are willing to have a fundraiser night. A lot of bars like to do this, because it's good for business. They might even be willing to kick in a little profit from the drinks they sell towards the cause.

Some suggestions for bar fundraisers:

contact marc andre's/coomb's sponsors, ask them to kick in some free shit for raffles. All proceeds go to funds.

Show ski movies all night w/ live music (open mic night, friends' bands, anything free, etc) and charge cover at the door.

have a donation box so people can donate cash if they want.

I donated what I could afford to, but it wasn't much. There are a lot of people in trouble, and if we all donate and try and get as many other people to donate as possible, we can help them out.

This is going to take more than positive vibes, it's going to take more than a few minutes to give a donation (although that is definitely awesome if that's all you can/are willing to do).

Let's give until it hurts. If you can't do anything now, these people are still going to need help in a couple months. Let's get on it.

hey samwich, if you put any bar fundraisers together in vancouver, let me know and i'll get a bunch of buddies to come. if you need help organizing a beer garden or something i've got a hookup for cheap kegs from russell brewery.

What a huge fucking bummer...I haven't been here in a while and to come and read this about the guy (MAB) who's probably my favorite pro skier along with the death of Coombs TOTALLY TOTALLY TOTALLY sucks!!! Puts things in perspective and makes me realize how quickly things can change...Coombs is the legend of all legends and MAB absolutely seems like the cooest dude in the whole industry, I'm so bummed for them both and their families...I can't imagine the long road ahead for MAB, holy shit this makes me so sad, where do you send donations to? RIP Coombs...be strong Marc Andre.
    oh so i guess i'm the asshole!

Please donate a bunch and then ask your family and friends to donate, too.

I know you guys helped out Vinnie a bunch when he burned his house down, Midget when his gear was stolen, and this is another very worthy cause....Marc Andre is one of the best.

I think it'd be really cool if TGR/Team13/Wisp/etc put together a MAB compilation from existing footage in the manner of the "best of" Morrison Chronicles/Kreitler Vid/etc, and then sold that with proceeds going to MAB. I'd buy a DVD for sure. Price it higher than normal, say $50, and I'd get something that was a great tribute to a great guy and skier and that I would love to watch, and would send some money his way while still defraying a little bit of the production cost.
    Thrutchworthy Production Services

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian
    I think it'd be really cool if TGR/Team13/Wisp/etc put together a MAB compilation from existing footage in the manner of the "best of" Morrison Chronicles/Kreitler Vid/etc, and then sold that with proceeds going to MAB. I'd buy a DVD for sure. Price it higher than normal, say $50, and I'd get something that was a great tribute to a great guy and skier and that I would love to watch, and would send some money his way while still defraying a little bit of the production cost.
    That is one of the best ideas I've seen here so far.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by runethechamp
    That is one of the best ideas I've seen here so far.
    I third that motion.

It's early - and TGR has a lot of ideas. We are certainly going to do "something". I don't know what - but there are lots of ideas floating around.

You will be hard pressed to find a maggot who can listen to this and not chip in a few bucks.

http://tinyurl.com/gency

Keep rockin Marc!
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Super good idea on the video idea...I'd buy a couple for sure.
    oh so i guess i'm the asshole!

dr steenblock

i dont know my right side was totally without life but then i got back to perfect I could not lift my arm like by 1 cm searchword is DR. STEENBLOCK he works in cali he puts people into hyperbaric oxygen chambers and they get back the ability to walk but it does not always work l arginin and MSM 3 g for 6 weeks alternating each medication may help if injury is fresh take blueberries calcium blockers any to prevent cell death ca gotta travel to the cell core to kill it but if you block that it cant die citicholin is ca blocker stanford stroke center is very good
    Why do all people with -re in name get killed and also I got attacked by people with such a syllable in the name and they tried to talk about themselves paradingly till people started killing some - they would be responsible for the latters injury if it was induced by man or angered God !
    Last edited by 0BernhardFranz; 04-22-2006 at 04:43 PM.

definately gonna front some $$ to help marc out, a fellow canadian, and an excellent skeir