Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Horror Flicks?

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    No One Lives (from director Ryûhei Kitamura of Versus, Aragami, and Midnight Meat Train fame)
    Better without trailers. And speaking of MMT, very underrated and caught me by surprise... perfectly cast. As for No One Lives, looks like a January 2013 release. Stars Australian actress Adelaide Clemens who's in the Silent Hill sequel out October 26th (actually excited about this even if it's not really connected to the original).

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Lords of Salem (new Rob Zombie original)
    I'm sorry, but Rob Zombie and "original" are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    I'm sorry, but Rob Zombie and "original" are mutually exclusive.
    Hmmmm. I've always found RZ to be somewhat original, at least in his assimilation of pop culture motifs, specifically horror, gore, and heavy metal.

But I was specifically referring to it being a movie written by Rob Zombie based on his own concepts (like House of 1,000 Corpses and The Devil's Rejects), as opposed to the two Halloween remakes he helmed.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Recently watched The Skin I Live In.
    While not billed as a horror film per se, it definitely has some horrific elements to it and comes off as a sly, subtle horror film with echoes of vintage body-horror era David Cronenberg and early Brian DePalma (think Sisters, Body Double, and the like). The film is something of a radical departure for writer/director Pedro Almodovar, too.

Also watched Silent House, the American remake of the Argentinean horror film La Casa Muda. It's filmed entirely in one single shot and in "real time", which is interesting. Not a bad little pot-boiler, if not entirely predictable. Still manages to garner a few chills, thrills, and spills, though. Intrigued to go back and watch the original.

Kind of excited to see Sinister....

watched 'cabin in the woods' last night.
    thumbs up. it's good stoner horror.
    fun twist and whatnot.

edit: i also really liked 'the innkeepers'. slow build and brutally scary at the end.
    Last edited by buttahflake; 09-29-2012 at 06:25 AM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

double thumbs up for cabin in the woods, best horror flick i've seen in ages.

Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    agreed. im not usually a fan of horror movies but loved cabin the woods

v/h/s
    i'm watching tonight.
    'found footage', creepshow style anthology.
    one of the segments is directed by Ti West.
    this looks wicked scary!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Shooting to catch V/H/S this week (it's only playing in two theaters in the Bay Area and for 1 week only).

Recently watched:

Wake Wood - had potential from the trailers I'd seen, plus it has Aiden Gillen (he's been in The Wire and Game of Thrones) and Timothy Spall (a brilliant British character actor) in it. Ended up being nothing more that Pet Semetery in Ireland.

Primal - again, seemed like it had potential from the trailers I'd seen: group of anthropologists travel to some remote jungle and encounter primal evil. Again, rather predictable and not terribly engaging.

They were both on TV (either Chiller or SyFy) and would only be worth a gander if nothing else was on or you were seriously starved for a horror flick. I wouldn't bother spending any coin streaming or renting them, though.

v/h/s is good, but far from great.
    three of the stories were a lot of fun, other three kinda weak.
    and yeah i'm officially burnt on 'found footage'.
    woot
    crab in my shoe mouth

the whole "found footage" craze, which supposedly started way, way back in the '80s with Cannibal Holocaust, probably won't wane anytime soon. The major factor in it's continuation is that it is dirt cheap to make a found footage film and the returns have got to be fantastic, otherwise folks wouldn't keep mining what is essentially a dead horse. To me, the worst part is the over-saturation of the genre, which makes it harder and harder to locate the really good, creative "found footage" films (i.e. you have to watch/wade through a lot of sh!t in order to find the odd gem).

i liked 'Blair Witch Project', Cloverfield, The Troll Hunter among others, so i don't dislike the genre. it's more like you said, harder to find the goods. just like Alta these days!
    crab in my shoe mouth

FWIW - Serbian Film did an excellent job with found footage. Fucked up, but still well done.

right on. i'll check that out.

Ti West's segment in v/h/s was kick ass, dookey.
    another sweet slow boil, into full on madness.
    i'm a fan.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    right on. i'll check that out.
    Pretty sure the movie's been mentioned here before and while I think very highly of it, Serbian Film is something that cannot be unwatched. Just a warning.

Ti West is an interesting director. His early stuff, imho, is pretty horrible. But in many ways that's a cool thing as you can see him progressing and growing as a filmmaker.

I didn't much cotton to his first film, The Roost. Didn't see his second film, Trigger Man (because I didn't really like his first film). Also found his sequel to Cabin Fever to be quite lacking. I recall going into House of the Devil with much trepidation and exiting quite surprised. I had fairly high expectations for The Innkeepers and the film did not disappoint. West seems to be going for more ambiance over splatter, which is a refreshing change of pace in regards to modern (i.e. present day) horror films.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    FWIW - Serbian Film did an excellent job with found footage. Fucked up, but still well done.
    I've heard Serbian Film is the most fucked up movie ever made. I've never seen it, but I've read some reviews that say its well done and full of unspeakable things. I'm not sure I'll ever bring myself to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by VTsession View Post
    I've heard Serbian Film is the most fucked up movie ever made. I've never seen it, but I've read some reviews that say its well done and full of unspeakable things. I'm not sure I'll ever bring myself to watch it.
    I'm on the same page of the same book with you! I've always been sketched out by horror films that come with taglines stating how gross and violent and unspeakable (or as PG says "is something that cannot be unwatched"). I like to be scared and also grossed-out a bit, but I don't like to be nauseated and sickened to the point of gagging and being left with horrific images I cannot erase from my mind.

To this day I have never seen any of the Faces of Death films for those very reasons.

But I also have learned, over the years, that everybody's horror meter is different and a lot of times films that have received reviews clamoring about how horrific and sick and twisted they are end up being really tame by my standards (such is the problem with critics, especially more mainstream ones that perhaps don't watch as many genre films as others, but you also find that younger critics with no grasp of the historical lineage of certain types of films will find something scarier or gorier than it really is or that they will find older films to not be as scary or gory as newer ones).

That said, I watched Cannibal Holocaust when they re-released it theatrically several years ago. I attended a press screening with incredible trepidation given the reviews I'd read about the film. I was primed to be sick in the aisle and ready to bolt out of the theater the moment something truly disgusting came across the screen. I surprised myself by staying for the whole film and not feeling terribly queasy.

The only other two films I've watched that I recall being unsure about were the original I Spit On Your Grave and the original Last House on the Left. Both were incredibly visceral and definitely skated the thin ice between exploitation and just nastyness, but I never felt they were as gruesome or unspeakable as some of the reviews made them out to be. Frankly, I've all but forgotten I Spit On Your Grave, but there's still one scene from LHotL that I can't seem to shake, which I guess qualifies as being something that you can't unwatch.

Pappa G has recommended a number of films to me which I have yet been unable to bring myself to watch and not sure if I will muster up the courage to do so soon (specifically A Serbian Film). And I still don't have any plans to watch Faces of Death.

another 'found' movie last night.
    it's a Spanish film, with dubbed english.
    [rec] is the movie that Quarantine is based on.
    never saw Quarantine, but [rec] was wicked scary.
    mrs. flake and i, two thumbs up.
    crab in my shoe mouth

I liked [REC] and [REC]2 was pretty decent. I'm actually looking forward to [REC]: Genesis.

Also, I felt Quarantine was solid, easily one of the best Americanized versions of a foreign horror film to date.

That said, avoid Quarantine 2. It's a crappy direct-to-video.

Let Me In or Let the Right One In (US vs Sweden) is one of the best horror films of the last 10 years.

Perusing around the Webz I stumbled upon this:

http://screenrant.com/top-ten-horror...=zergnet_23605

Not sure about the title of the article as most serious horror film fans (and even casual ones, at that) have no doubt seen many of these films, but I have to admit that I'm only 8/10, having never seen Psycho II or House.

Notable exceptions: Jacob's Ladder
    Pet Sematary

Quote Originally Posted by PappaG View Post
    Rewatched "In the Mouth of Madness" tonight for my first viewing in over 10 years and it was still as creepy as I last remembered.
    Definitely on my top 10 list

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    watched 'cabin in the woods' last night.
    thumbs up. it's good stoner horror.
    fun twist and whatnot.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdlv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    agreed. im not usually a fan of horror movies but loved cabin the woods
    4th'ed! Cabin was a truly entertaining and original movie. I loved it. Saw it twice in the theater. Highly recommend