Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Horror Flicks?

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_Pig_(film_series)

Pretty sure this is the most fucked up "Horror Film" stuff imaginable... all brought to you by the Japanese.

American/western cinema has yet to come close to the exploitation and gore that is created by the Japanese.

These movies will fuck you up.
    Granted, the Japanese had a stranglehold on the intense horror/gore in the past. Guinea Pig, Naked Blood, Ichi the Killer, etc were all the top dogs of their day. But Guinea Pig is pretty tame compared to some stuff that is out now. The previously mentioned L'Interieur (Inside) is far more disturbing than any of the Guinea Pig installments. Martyrs (the French are really going for it in the gore/disturbing department) is another one that utterly trumps Guinea Pig. The main thing that Guinea Pig had going for it was the snuff mystique. But since it's obviously been outed as fake and the fact that the effects are pretty dated, it just doesn't have the same impact. Plus I think there's a disconnect with Guinea Pig because it's just mindless torture. There's no reason other than simple human sympathy to feel anything for the victim. There's no storyline, no character development, just torture and death. That's where the French seem to be taking over. They combine the intense gore of the Japanese with actual storylines. There are characters that you can actually empathize with. It makes for a far more horrific movie.

But for over the top gore and gut wrenching disturbing, I have to go with August Underground's Mordum. I have no problems watching any kind of horror/gore you can think of. L'Interieur, Martyrs, Guinea Pig etc were intense, but I could easily watch them again. Mordum? I'm not so sure I'd watch it again. It's just that intense and insane. If you ever wanted to have a glimpse into a serial killer's life Mordum will give you just that. It's the only movie to actually make me feel nauseous while watching it and it had nothing to do with the shaky cam.

I'll definitely be NOT watching L'Interieur or Mordum. I've seen enough wacked real life shit for more than one lifetime.

a former co-worker who is a huge horror fan--pretty much rents everything that comes out regardless--rented Teeth and turned it off 1/4 through and returned it. when i showed him the trailer for Inside, he said "I ain't watching that." not sure where i stand, having not see either one yet.

that said, and keeping in mind that i don't put too much stock in trailers, this one looks kind of disturbing:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/grace/
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by Poop*Ghost View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinea_Pig_(film_series)

Pretty sure this is the most fucked up "Horror Film" stuff imaginable... all brought to you by the Japanese.

American/western cinema has yet to come close to the exploitation and gore that is created by the Japanese.

These movies will fuck you up.
    In total agreement.

When I think of great horror films I think of Nosferatu, Night of the Living Dead, The Shining, Halloween - stuff like that. All of which were creepy, but nearly gore-free.

The Japanese stuff isn't horror, but it does make you feel pretty uncomfortable. People who actually think the Saw movies are really groundbreaking need to watch Flowers of Flesh and Blood. The latter makes the former look like Little House on the Prairie. When you fool the guys in Skinny Puppy (who themselves used extremely disturbing imagery) you're doing a pretty good job. When you actually feel compelled to produce a documentary on how you filmed your fictional snuff film just to prove it actually wasn't real you're doing a pretty good job.

Does anybody else here think Roman Polanski's The Tennant was pretty freaky? Always really liked that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    In total agreement.

When I think of great horror films I think of Nosferatu, Night of the Living Dead, The Shining, Halloween - stuff like that. All of which were creepy, but nearly gore-free.

The Japanese stuff isn't horror, but it does make you feel pretty uncomfortable. People who actually think the Saw movies are really groundbreaking need to watch Flowers of Flesh and Blood. The latter makes the former look like Little House on the Prairie. When you fool the guys in Skinny Puppy (who themselves used extremely disturbing imagery) you're doing a pretty good job. When you actually feel compelled to produce a documentary on how you filmed your fictional snuff film just to prove it actually wasn't real you're doing a pretty good job.

Does anybody else here think Roman Polanski's The Tennant was pretty freaky? Always really liked that one.

Yep, I LOVED The Tennant. That's just great film making, and the sense that Polanski was coming unglued was just perfectly portrayed.

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    In total agreement.

a classic in the creepy/scary category is the original The Haunting, 1963 b/w joint by Robert Wise that makes excellent use of shadows and light and sound to create a truly freaky atmosphere. watch it alone, in the dark, on a stormy night and it's a nail-biter.

as for The Tenant, yeah it was pretty bugged. Along those lines you should check out Repulsion with Catherine Deneuve.

i think the way that horror films of today are going (looking mostly at the Hollywood ones) is remaking once deemed classics (Halloween, F13, Nightmare on Elm Street) and just basically slicking them up with CGI and new-fangled FX and known hotties to appeal to the MTV glued masses.

i also feel that quite a bit of the foreign horror films (Frontier(s), Haute Tension, a lot of the Japanese numbers like Ringu) get "a pass" because they are foreign; people seem to put a little too much praise on these films because they are "exotic" (at least that's my take on it). sure, the French make some fine looking films, but Frontier(s) really wasn't that great (it just rehashed TCM twisted cannibal family mythos) and the ending of Haute Tension was utter crap. Meanwhile the whole sub-genre of Japanese horror that includes Ringu and Ju-On aren't that great, either (other than introducing the world to pasty-faced creepy ghost kids that lurk in the shadows and have evil thoughts, but seriously, how many times can you see that in a film and think it's cool?). Additionally, all the Hollywood remakes of The Ring, The Grudge, Pulse, etc. are kinda crappy, as well.

I may have mentioned it before, but one of the last horror films i thought exceeded my expectations was Quarantine. i still haven't seen the original Spanish version [rec], but it just came out. while Quarnatine mined familiar terrain, it did it well and with a certain amount of panache.

as for the Saw films? meh. i didn't think the first one was that great and i've rented each subsequent one and just can't believe that people continue to pay to see those flicks. that may be one of the most pointless franchises in a long, long time.

in the end, however, if you get scared by it and it provides you with a modicum of escapism and enjoyment, so be it.

me, i want a slightly intelligent story, compelling characters, and a high fright quotient, which i don't think is too much to ask for.

i think the saddest thing is that Hollywood still looks upon the horror film as a lesser genre, thus they never feel like spending the time, energy, and money to cultivate a good script, attach decent actors, and a solid director. they see something like The Grudge, made for less than 50 mill, grossing close to triple that and then churn out more of the same.

while i'm thinking of it, Splinter wasn't a bad low-budgie that had some twisted FX and a few edge-of-your-seat moments.

I can't really call myself a horror buff, because I find the torturing and killing of humans repugnent,seriously. I mean, I barely got through the torture killing in Number One Gangster, and it only lasted a minute or so. A movie that has men, not monsters,spending90 mins torturing and butchering folks qualifies as fact, not fiction. I am a fakkin puss

Eraserhead - excellent film and very bizarre, but disturbing it is not unless I have a finer appreciation for the extremely twisted. The turtle-head-shaped baby was a nice touch and the overall theme of marriage and fatherhood was done very graphically but more true to home than most attempts at it.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    No one has mentioned "Inside."

It's a French gore flick that came out last year. Tops the list as the most brutal horror film I've ever seen.

7.5 out of 10 on the scary meter.
    10 out of 10 on the graphic/disgusting meter (Nothing to compare it to. Pretty much sets a new standard for gore).

It's really a great movie, well done in a all aspects.

I won't even begin to describe it. Just go see it. It's a powerhouse display of brutality!! A must-see if you like horror movies. Totally fucking disgusting!!

Edit: It's a little harder to find than most. You may have to consult Newbury Comics or a shop that carries indy material.
    I concur.

Not a whole lot on the scary front and I thought the director could have done a better job presenting some of the characters more intensely, but man did this have gore and some queasy moments. The last scene was amazing and the ending was perfect with a quality twist.

Quote Originally Posted by arewolfe View Post
    No one has mentioned "Inside."

Edit: It's a little harder to find than most. You may have to consult Newbury Comics or a shop that carries indy material.
    Dunno if we're talking about the same Inside (aka A l'interieur), but if we are, it's readily available at blockbuster:

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/ca...Details/371433

Just here to confirm that " inside" is a sick flick!If you would like to try to watch search it at www.watch-movies-links.net
    Suck It!

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Dunno if we're talking about the same Inside (aka A l'interieur), but if we are, it's readily available at blockbuster:

http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/ca...Details/371433
    Same one. Good to know. It's worthy!

Caught Audition last night, and I gotta say that I was pretty disappointed. I suppose if someone said "Here, watch this romantic comedy" and handed me this movie instead without knowing it was a horror flick, I probably would have been beyond pleased; you would never have guessed what was about to happen. But knowing full well what genre this belonged to, you end up wasting 90 minutes constantly wondering when shit will turn sour, and when it does, you end up with blue balls because it's so fucking anti-climatic. Also, there was far too much foreshadowing in the beginning so you basically knew how the movie was going to end within the first 15 minutes.

watching "Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer" now. Pretty fucked up and its only 20 min into it.

caught this trailer the other night after i succumbed to watching the new F13 (which wasn't as bad as i expected it to be, but still could have been much better).

also, was reminded of this trailer again today since 2 houses in my neighborhood have already put up Halloween decorations (2 months in advance!?)

not sure what to make of this, but at least they keep you guessing with the trailer.

Rewatched "In the Mouth of Madness" tonight for my first viewing in over 10 years and it was still as creepy as I last remembered. The film could have benefited from less Thing-like special effects at times, but overall this is one of the better John Carpenter films and easily the most underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by NPG View Post
    Rewatched "In the Mouth of Madness" tonight for my first viewing in over 10 years and it was still as creepy as I last remembered. The film could have benefited from less Thing-like special effects at times, but overall this is one of the better John Carpenter films and easily the most underrated.
    i whole-heartedly concur.

i saw it in the theaters on a dark, rainy day. water was seeping into the theater and i swear something was sloshing about (rats? mice?) along the edge of the wall and the final row of seats) all through the movie. definitely creepy and owing a lot to the whole Lovecraft mythology.

easily in the Top 6 of Carpenter's canon (Halloween, The Thing, They Live, Escape from New York, Big Trouble in Little China, In The Mouth of Madness...might give an honorable mention to Prince of Darkness, although corny, it's pretty damn creepy at times).

too bad most of the stuff he did in the wake of ITMOM was sub-mediocre at best.

a former co-worker who is a huge horror fan--pretty much rents everything that comes out regardless--rented Teeth and turned it off 1/4 through and returned it. when i showed him the trailer for Inside, he said "I ain't watching that." not sure where i stand, having not see either one yet.

that said, and keeping in mind that i don't put too much stock in trailers, this one looks kind of disturbing:

http://www.apple.com/trailers/independent/grace/
    wow "grace" looks fucking intense

If you like horror movies that are full of suspense, don't paint the complete picture, leave room for interpretation at the end, and follow a solid plot then you owe yourself a viewing of The Orphanage from the director of Pan's Labyrinth.

I like B rate horror flicks and these are a couple fo the best in my mind!
    Redneck Zombies - "They're Tobacco Chewin', Gut Chompin', Cannibal Kinfolk from Hell!"
    Frankenhooker - "A Terrifying Tale Of Sluts And Bolts."

I remember these because a baby sitter rented them for us one time when we were very little. Still think about the blob in the water from Creep Show 2 everytime I swim in a lake!

Creep Show 1 & 2
    Body Parts
    the kids are all wasted on pot listening to heavy metal

Saw "A Tale of Two Sisters" last night and thought it was exceptionally good. It's a Korean psycho-horror of a young girl coping with tragedy, although she doesn't accept it right away. ATOTS was remade recently as "The Uninvited" and it captures everything that the "The Sixth Sense" didn't. Rated at 87% on Rotten.

Has anyone seen the original Wicker Man from the 70s? Its on my Netflix list and am anxious to see it when it arrives.

Saw Session 9 tonight and thought it was pretty solid. It's directed by the guy that did Machinist and centers around a crew of asbestos workers doing a job inside a vacant psychiatric facility. It has a decent creep factor without the overdone cliches like the medicine cabinet mirror, lights flickering, and built up crescendos. 4 out of 5.

NPG: just wanted to clarify that The Orphanage wasn't directed by Guillermo del Toro (he just produced it, I believe).

Glad you dug Session 9, that's a great psychological horror film (the other films from that same director are really cool, but more in the twisted romantic indie vein).

I'd like to throw out a vote for Wind Chill, a nice little ghost story starring Emily Blunt (can't recall if I plugged it in an earlier post or not, so if I did, sorry for the repeat).

Also, anybody seen this yet:

The Human Centipede:

NPG: just wanted to clarify that The Orphanage wasn't directed by Guillermo del Toro (he just produced it, I believe).

Glad you dug Session 9, that's a great psychological horror film (the other films from that same director are really cool, but more in the twisted romantic indie vein).

I'd like to throw out a vote for Wind Chill, a nice little ghost story starring Emily Blunt (can't recall if I plugged it in an earlier post or not, so if I did, sorry for the repeat).

Also, anybody seen this yet:

The Human Centipede:

I was literally just about to post that...weird.

100% medically accurate!
    Ass-to-mouth!

I can't tell if it's a really dark comedy or a serious horror movie. I would think it could work on the one end and fail miserably on the other.