South America--Compare ski resorts

I have searched the forum for opinions on the resorts in Argentina and Chile, and while it has been helpful, I have yet to see a good comparison and contrasting of the resorts. What are your opinions of

1. Las lenas
    2. Portillo
    3. Termas de Chillan
    4. Bariloche
    5. La Parva
    6. Valle Nevado
    7. Others you liked

I plan to head south for 10 days in early August, but have not yet decided where to go. I like powder. No, I love powder. I look forward to your thoughts.
    I keep cuttin' it and cuttin' it, but it's still too short.

Portillo has a pretty lake

thats all I can add
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Clearly, I must go to Portillo.

Quote Originally Posted by lobido
    1. Las lenas
    2. Portillo
    3. Termas de Chillan
    4. Bariloche
    5. La Parva
    6. Valle Nevado
    7. Others you liked
    1. Check Squirrel's thread in hall of fame and also laslenasski.com - all you need to know is there. Be prepared for perhaps the best skiing of your life but don't be surprised if it's ultimately a frustrating experience. It all depends on Marte opening. One trip will not be enough either way.
    2. Good perhaps even great sking but not in same class as LL - more reliable access. Far easier travel and booking but a little claustrophobic so it can get Groundhog Dayish. One trip was probably enough especially after having already been to LL
    4. Anyone? Thinking of going down there this summer also info about Chapelco would be appreciated. Will I end up kicking myself for not rolling dice and going back to LL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

i guess every resort is different, but by far, the best one is the one that has snow and that the chairlifts are open

here is a sick farellones shot
    shut up and ski

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    4. Anyone? Thinking of going down there this summer also info about Chapelco would be appreciated. Will I end up kicking myself for not rolling dice and going back to LL?
    We hit both Bariloche and LL last summer. Here's some photos.

Catedral is smaller than Las Lenas, and doesn't have as much steep terrain. Some nice terrain in La Laguna (an inbounds hike-to area) though. And I reckon there's some decent backcountry as well, although we didn't hit it last year. Obviously, there's nothing comparable to the Marte chair.

I hear that it doesn't generally get as much snow as LL. Last year it rocked, though - like most of SA.

Bottom half of the mountain has trees, so there's still good skiing during a storm, unlike LL.

Fewer hardcore skiers at Catedral = less competition for freshies.

The town of Bariloche is pretty nice place to chill out.

Overall, LL has better skiing. If I knew the Marte chair was going to be open, I'd head back to LL. But Bariloche has a more laid-back vibe, and the skiing is decent.

I've heard Chapelco has some great skiing, but it's even smaller than Catedral - might get bored there after a few days.

Feel free to PM if you have more questions.

Check out www.Southamericaski.com
    Lots of details there.

Here's a Resort Comparison Summary:

1. Las lenas - sick steep terrain, lots of pow if Marte is open, awesome touring, lots of gringos doing a season, good night clubs.

2. Portillo - all inclusive family resort, no lift lines, easy to get to from Santiago, a no brainer holiday.

3. Termas de Chillan - Las Trancas town in super chill and good touring of volcanos, lots of frenchies, PNW snow pack.

4. Bariloche - super cool town, beautiful lake, good skiing at Catedral.

5. La Parva/El Colorado/Valle Nevado - all attached but different resorts, only halfpipe in South America, family resort, lots of weekend warriors from Santiago, good off piste cause no one skis it and stay in Farrellones. Only 1.5 hours from Santiago up super scarry road.

6. Valle Nevado - Above

7. Others you liked - San Martin de los Andes, Ushuaia

If you only have 10 days, I would stick to one resort to get the full experience, plus travel times in Argentina/Chile are long and the pass between Portillo and Mendoza closes a lot in August, otherwise you can fly.

I asked the a similar question on here last year - before our trip to Barilloche.
    So guess I should return a favour

L.Lenas apparently has the best skiing in the southern hemisphere - but its a ski resort, rather than a town. We never went there because the other boys had been there before a couple of years earlier.

Did however hit Barilloche and also Ushuia for a few days. If you fly into Argie with argentinian airlines then get a discount on internal flights - which makes a multi stop tour a bit easier.

Cathedral - We hit it after a big storm, so boot deep fresh on the first day in August When we had no ski fitness... Barilloche is a nice wee town and Catedral is a pretty decent resort, if a little big and commercial.

Cero Bayo - My favourite resort that we visited. Pretty small but great off piste bowl easily accesable from the top of the chair. Cheap lift passes and great views. Not one that you hear people talking about - but there must be loads of wee resorts like this in South America. (Antillantca & Los Pentes are others I have heard are good).

Chapelco - Flat and boring. Avoid at all costs !! Not only is it miles out the way buts it expensive, and the terrain is flat.

Cerro Castor - Ushuia is a cool spot to visit and very scenic. Snow here wasnt the best but some interesting terrain and well worth a visit if you want to bag worlds most southerly ski resort

Have Fun !
    The girls are amazin !

Doug.

I'm heading to Bariloche at the end of the summer to tour the Frey, Challhuaco, Jakob huts.

http://www.andescross.com/english/ba...try-skiing.htm

They have guided day trips for pretty cheap as long as you have a couple people if you don't want to go do the specific resort/town/chairlift thing the whole time.

A few of us from the board will be down there in 4 months. We're flying into BA and thought we'd let the weather upon arrival determine whether to fly to Mendoza or Santiago.
    That's what was recommended by several maggots awhile back. Is that still the best way to do it? I espeako espanish so that parte won't be a problema.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I'm heading to Bariloche at the end of the summer to tour the Frey, Challhuaco, Jakob huts.

They have guided day trips for pretty cheap as long as you have a couple people if you don't want to go do the specific resort/town/chairlift thing the whole time.
    The (summer) route/terrain between Castor, Frey & Jakob is detailed in the Lonely Planet "Trekking in Patagonia" guidebook. Jakob is at the base of the stone peninsula extending into the lake:

It's pretty straitforward, unless you've poor BC skills no guide necessary
    Elvis has left the building

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and suggestions. I agree that I should choose one place and remain there.

Las Lenas is sounding like it will probably be the ticket, although the notion of an untrammeled resort has appeal.

One of the websites of a touring powder company indicated that Termas de Chillan had the best combination of high quality and quantity snow, but no one here has echoed that observation.

If anyone else has experienced the areas, I am still soliciting opinions.

Curt

Valle Nevado

Supposedly has a lot of wind which often shuts down the lifts to the better uppper mt terrain

Portillo

See my posts and threads. I went last summer and am going back in August 2006 That should tell you something

Las Lenas
    I think that'll be summer 2007
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Bariloche = San Carlos DeBariloche?

JONG away....

Salta, ahora!!!