Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    last book- Possession by A.S Byatt. Reminded me why I majored in English and also why I will never be an english professor.
    current book- Mutiny on the Bounty. I love almost any sailing or naval related book.
    "They don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabadoo View Post
    I love almost any sailing or naval related book.
    You should get "In the Heart of the Sea" - the true story that inspired Melville's Moby Dick.

Last book: Hell's Angels - Hunter S. Thompson.

I've always been a Hunter fan, so this book was right up my alley. Definitely a good read, well written as anything he's ever put type to. *Warning* This book will incite strong urges to buy a Harley 74 or vintage BSA with a flip down dvd player in helmet for watching Marlon Brando's The Wild One. You have been warned.

Currently reading: GONZO, an oral biography by the editors of rolling stone.
    The Eight Gates of Zen - John Daido Loori

"Where's the town square?"

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Last book:
    Introduction to Metaphysics. I see metaphysics as somewhat pointless. And this book's writing sucked.

Now:
    The Complete Stories-Franz Kafka

any of you runners, or even triathletes, ever read Once a Runner by John Parker? I love that book. Always read it right before SEC champs.
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    any of you runners, or even triathletes, ever read Once a Runner by John Parker? I love that book. Always read it right before SEC champs.
    you know, I've heard the "lore" over that book but have never been able to get my hands on a copy. I would love to read it.

Copies are just extremely hard to come by, and the ones you can buy are ridiculously expensive. Here it is on ebay for almost $200.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Once-a-Runner-A-...ksid=m20.l1116

What's the deal? Did it just have very limited production? Satori, is it worth that much (somehow I doubt it).

last -
    In Defense of Food

current-
    House of Meetings
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    you know, I've heard the "lore" over that book but have never been able to get my hands on a copy. I would love to read it.

Copies are just extremely hard to come by, and the ones you can buy are ridiculously expensive. Here it is on ebay for almost $200.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Once-a-Runner-A-...ksid=m20.l1116

What's the deal? Did it just have very limited production? Satori, is it worth that much (somehow I doubt it).
    beandip, I havent read it in almost 10 years, but will never forget it. It reminds me of Prefontaine and his generation of runners, or maybe just him...Its going on Ebay for almost $200? Sheet, thats mad! I think I should have a copy of it at home, but honestly dont know. If I do, and only if it gets passed around and not sold, Id be glad to send it out to you guys. CJ sent me 3 books to me here in Japan and Im so grateful so maybe, if he is interested, or hasnt read it, I could pass it on to him first...Anyways, gotta check when I get home in August. Been 3 years plus since Ive been to the states
    パウダーバカ!!

Quote Originally Posted by satori View Post
    CJ sent me 3 books to me here in Japan
    CJ... wonder where he is these days?

Satori,

that's an awesome offer, thanks... if you can find it next time you're home, I'd love to borrow... in the meantime I will keep my eye out. I've heard there is a copy in the NYPL but haven't really checked yet.

Right now I am reading thie horrible book by Meg Wolitzer called "The Ten Year Nap." It had a good review in the times and also my Jillrabbit friends suggested I read bc it is sort of about feminism. Well, it SUCKS. Do not read. Just... meandering writing with no point, nothing happens in the plot, and I fundamentally dislike the majority of the self-indulgent, lazy, absorbed characters. But, I'm not the kind of person to start a book and not finish, so I plod onwards. Argh.

Quote Originally Posted by BeanDip4All View Post
    But, I'm not the kind of person to start a book and not finish, so I plod onwards. Argh.
    must be why you're a triathlete ;-)

Just finished "Omnivores Dilemma". An eye opening look into where our food comes and the forces at play in the food industry. A great read that might make you rethink your eating and purchasing habits. A few parts are a little graphic but it's more about the making you consider the implications of where you buy your food and how it's produced (veggies, meat or dairy) than grossing anyone in veganism.

Reading Breaking Trail by Arlene Klum now. The autobiography genearally focusing on her life and the trials and tribulations of female high altitude mountaineering in the 70s. I jsut got started bue my wife loved it and her dad shared a lab w/ arlene way back when doing his post doc work.
    A good friend would come bail you out of jail. A great friend would be sitting next to you saying..."but damn that was FUN"

Rereading Love in the Time of Cholera again, maybe the third time or so. One of my favorites of Gabriel Garcie Marquez. Such a beautiful book, like most of his. It doesn't hold a candle to 100 Years of Solitude, but it's still a masterpiece.

Here's one I would strongly recommend to the adventurers and politicos out there of any stripe: The Long Walk / The True Story of a Trek to Freedom by Slavomir Tawicz. While I've read everything about Shackleton over the years, this is one of the most amazing accounts of human endurance and the desire to be free that you will ever find. It's also an indictment of Soviet communism, and communism in general, which should no longer need indicting, but there are new useful idiots born every day.
    You have to let other people be right. It consoles them for not being anything else. -- Andre Gide

introduction to management

Hello all!
    I am new to these forums. Well i have recently read a very informative book which provides information related to management . It has been really helpful in polishing my skills of management. If anybody is interested in getting their management skills polished let me know. i will tell you the name of the author. The book is easily available everywhere. Then i have read a book based on health and fitness by "Maria Joanas" It has helped me alot to stay fit and active. Since i am very diet conscious and want to stay fit all day long. I was referred this book by my gym instructor and trust me it has helped me alot. It has four amazing diet plans for the people who want to loose upto 20 pounds in a month.
    I can also publish some of the diet plans and exercising tips here if you really need some.

Applied Linear Statistical Models, fifth edition.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

C'mon, ldd, you're just supposed to name the authors when you refer to a text like that.

I also just finished both "Omnivore's Dilemma" and "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. Thought "Dilemma" was better, IMO. As stated before, will definitely make you think about what you are eating and where it is coming from.

Some Thicht Thacht Nhan just before that. "Peace is Every Step." Would recommend to anyone.

Currently on PJ O'Rourke's "On the Wealth of Nations." Not too bad. It has it's ups and downs.

Up next, a re-read of "Letters to a Young Contrarian" by Christopher Hitchens. Great book.

Just finished The Value of X by Poppy Z. Brite.

It's the prologue novella to her Liquor/Prime/Soul Food trilogy of cooking/restaurant/mystery novels featuring the gay cooking duo of Rickey and G-Man, two New Orleans restaurantuers.

I've just started John Dies At The End, a snarky horror novel written by some cat who is the editor of Cracked (you know, the weaker knock-off of Mad), wrote the book, tossed it up online and based on the traffic he scored a book deal (I bought the actual book as there was no way I could read a 200 page book online).
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

George Pelicanos's Soul Circus - fiction about DC drug/gun trade, good stuff. If you liked the TV show the Wire check out Pelicanos as he was also a writer for the show.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Just finished The Value of X by Poppy Z. Brite.
    Poppy Z. Brite? In the words of John McEnroe "You cannot be serious!"

Kimball Junction The Dark Side Of The Wasatch
    A Practical Guide To Racism By G. H. Dalton if you like the Chappel show u will love this