Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Woah! I might finally be moving west

This is definitely premature, and I should probably try to antijinx this somehow.

I had a phone interview with Boeing this afternoon. I thought it went OK. Didn't think it went great. The person that interviewed me must've thought otherwise, because he said "we'll probably make you an offer". I can't imagine him saying that if he had many doubts.

Wow. I didn't expect to hear that. I expected a sucessful interview would've meant a site interview.

As much as I've been wanting to move out west, this snuck up on me. I've got a lot on my mind.

3 years ago, I couldn't wait to get out of the area I live in, because I was living with my parents for a bit and my social life kinda sucked. Now I've built up a really great social network and there's a lot of cool people I'm going to miss when I leave. ...and I'm really going to miss my parents and relatives.

I've been thinking a lot about what I want to be when I grow up. I'm pretty sure it's not a mechanical engineer, but while I've got some idea of what it is, I'm still not quite sure how I plan to get there. I don't know if this job I'm applying for is a dream job, but I think Boeing is a great opportunity; they'll pay for furthering education, and with a company of its size there's plenty of different positions I could potentially move into.

It sounds like they're spread pretty thin right now and I'm worried that they'll want me to start ASAP. I still need to trade my car in, tie up lots of loose ends in my current job, I'll have to catch up with my friends and family, move, and it would be nice to have some time off (I guess that would be asking a lot at this point). I've also really been looking forward to all the fun things I have planned here this summer.

The position would be in Everett, which sounds like it would be too far to commute from Seattle. Seattle mags; I need info on this. I don't need to live in a big city, but I don't want to live in suburbia, something with a downtown area would be nice.

Despite all this, I'm pretty stoked. I really enjoyed the area on my trip there for the summit and the Pac/NW mags are a real nice bunch.

Welcome to the PNW brutha! You'll love it here.
    Come hang out in Orygun once you get settled in.

My wife started consulting at Everett Boeing about 1mos ago (after working from home for 4+ yrs) and says its an easy reverse traffic commute. 25 mi door to door, and 25-30 mins.

It can take me longer to go the 7 miles to my work downtown.

Housing's cheaper around Everett but...
    Move upside and let the man go through...

wait till you hear the offer
    Last edited by train07; 04-07-2006 at 06:11 PM.
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by train07
    wait till you here the offer
    I'm definitely getting ahead of myself here, but I don't think it's such a terrible thing, because when and if they make an offer, I'm going to have a lot to figure out in not a lot of time.

happy for ya dude
    just wondering what i would be thinking if i were the recruiter and saying we'll probably make you an offer....
    sounds like you built up a couple of good years in Maine.
    If the offer is reasonable...then GO!....flights are cheap

Quote Originally Posted by train07
    just wondering what i would be thinking if i were the recruiter and saying we'll probably make you an offer....
    I'm rather surprised. I would think that would be a big no no.

Hey Shmerham - I'd talk to Ubershiest about Boeing, because his dad works at the one in Seattle, and we didn't hear the most positive things coming out of his mouth when we stayed at his parents house during the Summit. Just thought I'd put that out there.....

More importantly - make sure you get enough time to move and tie up loose ends! It's much better that way. Welcome to the West!!

tell them you'll make them an offer

I wonder how the commute is from Everett to Bellingham because B-ham would be a dope place to live IMO.

Get them to up the offer. Discuss moving expenses, housing, and transportation (selling your car).

Imo, turning down a job with a global giant like Boeing might be a once in a lifetime opportunity. If you don't like engineering you could do something else at Bowing.

Take the job man.

Thumbs up

Work them for every last penny and perk. Hope you get the gig and take it.

wha. huh? the reverse communte isn't too bad. for skiings sake, live in ever-rot. or all the new developments in south snohomish county.
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by nutcase
    I wonder how the commute is from Everett to Bellingham because B-ham would be a dope place to live IMO.
    yeah. if you like LAME
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Quote Originally Posted by shmerham
    3 years ago, I couldn't wait to get out of the area I live in, because I was living with my parents for a bit and my social life kinda sucked. Now I've built up a really great social network and there's a lot of cool people I'm going to miss when I leave. ...and I'm really going to miss my parents and relatives.
    You won't like it -- it's always raining. Except for today.

The trick is to keeping those east coast friends is to actively stay in touch. Hard to do when you move to a new town and you're making new friends.

The relatives you'll never get rid of.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

R,

First of all, congrats on this. I really enjoyed our long conversation on the ride back from the East Coast Mini and to me it sounded like you were ready to move on to the West. And if you ever come back East, you know where to find us ...
    Ein Berg ohne Absturzgefahr ist nur noch Attrappe. (Reinhold Messner)

Quote Originally Posted by Zeedashbo
    yeah. if you like LAME
    Why yes. Yes I do.

You are speaking to someone who lives in the south sound afterall

I live in north Seattle and work in Everett and the commute isn't bad. It's over 20 miles, but it only takes me 30 minutes door to door in the morning. My take is that Boeing is desperate for bodies right now (why else would they hire, shmerham, right? ) so, yes, they'll probably want you to start right away, but on the other hand you're the one holding the cards. I doubt they'd balk at you taking some time before you started. I'm certain they'll pay moving expenses and stuff like that. They did when I moved out.

Honestly, I think Boeing is a pretty good place to work. Yes, it's huge. You might be working on something much more narrower in scope than you're used to if you work for a smaller company. Sometimes it can be boring, sometimes there can be too much work. I'm sure that holds true for most companies. One thing I really like about Boeing is the ease of working alternate schedules and their support of working virtually. I do a 9-80. Many do 4-10s. I work from home the Fridays I do work.

Congrats, man! Hopefully we'll have another PNW maggot before long.

P.S. the commute from Bellingham to Everett would suck big time.
    Last edited by The AD; 04-07-2006 at 09:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    Blah Blah Blah. I get a big bonus if Shmerham takes a job with Boeing.

Arrow psst

dooo it!

one hour(just+) to stevens and only 2.5 to baker...less than 4 to W/B...

"Blah Blah Blah. I get a big bonus if Shmerham takes a job with Boeing."

Yeah, that thought did cross my mind

I'll tell you what, though. If you do take the job and I get the bonus I'll throw down for your choice of either a Summit "Big S" pass or a Stevens "Weekday Plus Pass" for you. I think that would be in the true maggot spirit.

Stevens: http://www.stevenspass.com/passes/season/
    Summit: http://www.summit-at-snoqualmie.com/.../bigsrates.asp

I haven't heard anything about that bonus deal for a while, so I hope it's still going on. I know only certain jobs qualify anyway, so we'll see. I'd be very happy if that paid off for me!

Best of luck and congratulations if it works out!

My father works for the "lazy B", and he's fairly happy with it, although he works in a different department than you will. Certainly a better deal for him than being an airline pilot.

Quote Originally Posted by shmerham
    I really enjoyed the area on my trip there for the summit and the Pac/NW mags are a real nice bunch.
    SHUT UP AND MOVE ALREADY!!!! (We're so nice!)
    I can't understand why people are frightened of new ideas. I'm frightened of the old ones.

dont worry about moving and stuff
    i got an offer from Lockheed Nov 14th '04, and through their relocation package, which Im sure boeings is comprable, you wont have to lift a finger really. They probably use the same relocation services to be honest. I was out there and moved by Dec 9th '04, they had me temp housing for a month with a rental car for that long as well. Pfft oh yea, I forgot to mention the 2000$ in "relocation allowance" to use on whatever you want. I think I bought skis and snow tires with that money.

anyway, good luck with the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Monique
    SHUT UP AND MOVE ALREADY!!!! (We're so nice!)
    WORD!

FKNA mang
    so stoked for you (poosibly, maybe I mean I hope yago and ya know)
    seriously as someone who just made a big move away from family and friends and great skiing, I say go for it.
    we talked a bit in Xtal about your current gig and your likes and dislikes about it and I think you should go if you can.
    as soon as you can.
    Seattle area is oon my short list of major settling places and Boeing, even if its short term seems ideal for what you do.
    go
    live
    be.
    work hard and imagine years of Buster tours around xtal and touring with the juggernaught
    bitch.
    good luck and big love.