Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Are sleds worth it?

Who owns Sleds here? I've been thinking about getting a pair and would like to pick them up this summer. I just would like to hear some opinions on if they are worth having, how much use you get out of them, etc. I usually ride 50+ days/year inbounds/sidecountry and 10+ in the backcountry.

Thanks

You could probably go heli skiing for what you pay for the sleds, trailer, gas.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark
    yeah, heli skiing once. But if you had sleds and a friend you could access sick terrain any day you wanted. i don't own one but most likely would if I could afford it. I don't think it would cut into my days on the hill, I would probably just take the sled out in the afternoon.

My day count is similar to yours and yes, it is very worth it, but I guess it depends on whether or not you have access. I like to ride switchbacks, mountains with big faces that have an old logging road switching back across so you can get dropped off at the top and then picked up again at the bottom, that may seem obvious but it can be harder to find than you think. I know of a few spots, and the snow and turns are amazing, it's like having your own resort.

If you have some friends that you trust and can defer the cost with it is easier to stomach. We bought 4 sleds over a period of 3 years and keep them at my friends bc cabin, thus eliminating the need to trailer every time, although we also bought a trailer so we can be mobile.

are you mechanically inclined? If not, definitely DO NOT get a money pit.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

Like jet skis and big TV's and pickup trucks with #3's ?

Sleds are for you.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Don't buy a piece of shit and you'll be fine. You'll have a ton of fun. I love mine and can't believe I waited this long to get on. I love passing hippy telemarkers on the trail. They all give you a "holier than thou look" but are the first to take a ride up or out when offered. DO IT.

Yeah it helps if you or your friends are mechanically inclined, I've blown out many belts on the trail, even a clutch, we've been able to get by with some brah deals on repairs.

What I love about the sled is that 2 days, 3 days, even weeks after the last storm I can take the sleds out and get pow turns that are better in quality than most any resort. I still hit the resort during and immediately after a storm, but if I have to work I always no the pow will be waiting for me in the backcountry when I get there.

12 miles uphill, mid-winter, to Tioga pass.
    3-4 thousand vert of powder back down.
    Yes. Very James "Worthy".
    Although some of my friends get a little pissed when I sled up to them to have a beer in 2 minutes, after they have been hiking for 2 hours.

Oh and by the way, I got one for sale in GEAR SWAP.
    Last edited by mountainbored; 04-07-2006 at 03:16 PM.
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.

Do yourself and everyone else a favor, buy a four stroke.

They are worth it if you wanna drop $8K-$10K on a powder sled. I've had days where it would have been much faster skinning than dealing with a broke down/buried/stuck sled.

I realized a long time ago that I'm a mountain bike guy over motor-x guy. I Learned this year I'm a skinner over a sleder. But damn, I am really good at beatering on that thing and getting really stuck in the snow.

I love the idea of sled skiing, and sometimes it has been sick. Just for me, dealing with the trailer, gas, parts (waiting on $100 worth of parts right now to fix the sled), getting stuck for me just aint worth it. I'm a small dude and have a lot of trouble muscling the thing around. Iskibc on the other hand gets that thing anywhere.

Also, if you have never driven a sled, be prepared for a huge learning curve.

This is just my experience with the machine and I'm glad that I gave it a shot. I would have always wondered had I not tried. I think I'll be putting mine in the gear swap soon too.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    They are worth it if you wanna drop $8K-$10K on a powder sled. I've had days where it would have been much faster skinning than dealing with a broke down/buried/stuck sled.
    Again, buy a four stroke.

Screw the powder sled, crazy ass high pointing sled. You will just get it stuck, spend an hour digging it out, and waste a bunch of energy. With the temptation to always go "just a little further" or closer to the turns, you'll end up getting stuck or screw yourself.

Buy a nice fourstroke that will pull your buddies on forest service roads without frying out. Then, use it on forest roads or packed trails. Turn it off at the end of the trail and skin the rest of the way.

Don't buy a sled to get you to the top. Buy it to "get you closer". Turn it off, enjoy the silence, enjoy the fresh air, and hike.

I sold my sled this year. I used it about 60 days last year for touring, 40 the year before. I don't need one in the Wasatch, and I rarely miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead

Screw the powder sled, crazy ass high pointing sled. You will just get it stuck, spend an hour digging it out, and waste a bunch of energy. With the temptation to always go "just a little further" or closer to the turns, you'll end up getting stuck or screw yourself.

Buy a nice fourstroke that will pull your buddies on forest service roads without frying out. Then, use it on forest roads or packed trails. Turn it off at the end of the trail and skin the rest of the way.

Don't buy a sled to get you to the top. Buy it to "get you closer". Turn it off, enjoy the silence, enjoy the fresh air, and hike.

Or, don't buy a sled at all and just sack up and earn your turns. A sled definitely makes you look at things much differently. I think I'll stick to my 2-stroke (ie, legs) for getting me up the hill.

Trackhead makes a good point, but I've been on some powder sleds that have never gotten stuck, even on the deepest of days.

Quote Originally Posted by iskibc
    So so true. Like I said before buy a good one and learn how to ride it.

I spent some time on a Rev 800 last year that would climb anything. It was a blast to tear around on.

But I'm feeling better about not having a sled, and firing up my own "two stroke" as you would say.

Nice to show up at the trailhead in a car that gets 45mpg, no trailer, no truck, no bullshit. Just get out and get after it.

Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark

Done both, NO comparison, sled is money much better spent.

There's nowhere to ride it around this area. Seriously. Move to Tahoe, it's way sicker.
    OOOOOOOHHHH, I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!

I sold my sled this year. I used it about 60 days last year for touring, 40 the year before. I don't need one in the Wasatch, and I rarely miss it.

Sounds like a hippy, tree hugger to me!
    just joking TH you are right.

I wish I could afford one. I no longer have friends to ski the resort with since they all bought sleds. When I get to ride bitch with one of them I consider myself lucky. What TH sais is true around here. Sleds are perfect for getting you to the base of what you want to ski, but as far as getting you up the hill, that is still up to the legs. And like everyone else said, if you can't afford to get a newer one in good condition plan on spending a lot of time wrenching on that sucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Kya
    Also, if you have never driven a sled, be prepared for a huge learning curve.
    I definitely wouldn't let this scare you away from owning one. Of all the things I've driven off road, I'd say a sled is one of the easiest, as long as your not on any really tough terrain. They're all automatic, so on a packed trails or roads, its pretty much just push the gas and go. It will take a little getting used to and they are big machines, but its worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny Powers
    That's how the plague started back in the day...from a little disgusting bird bath in someones back yard that rats made sex to birds in and created a whole new type of AIDS

But I'm feeling better about not having a sled, and firing up my own "two stroke" as you would say.

Nice to show up at the trailhead in a car that gets 45mpg, no trailer, no truck, no bullshit. Just get out and get after it.
    SMUG Alert! Is that car a hybrid? Your not comsuming unleaded gas all the time, are you? Sheesh.
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.

Quote Originally Posted by lph

Done both, NO comparison, sled is money much better spent.
    How many days to you have on your sled? How much in repair bills? How much terrain have you accessed that isn’t accessible by skins? I’ve frequently wished I had a sled for approaches. You could get after some great stuff in the Eastern Sierra mid-winter, but I’m not interested in them given the associated headaches others have described. Plus, this dude wants to buy two sleds and use them ten days a year. He lives in Washington. How many cherry picked days of heli skiing in the North Cascades or Whistler can you get for that price?
    Last edited by Greydon Clark; 04-07-2006 at 04:05 PM.
    The trumpet scatters its awful sound Over the graves of all lands Summoning all before the throne

Death and mankind shall be stunned When Nature arises To give account before the Judge

They are worth every penny. I am a huge Dirt Bike rider and sledding was a netural next step living in Laramie. With one small ski area near by that SUCKS but lots of great BC if you don't mind the 7 mile hike in and out to get to it plus the hike up then cool. Or you can go the easier rought and ride in and then hike up. But as has already been said for the most part sleds that can make it to the top with one person are a HANDFULL with two people and gear on them so just use the sled to get to the bottom and then climb. I have to argue with the enjoy the silence though......there is not much that sounds better than a full mod taped out climbing. Just thinking of that sound gives me chills.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Yet another reference to the hybrid south park episode

"Is that a hybrid sled, Good for You."

Personally, I'd rather have 3 new pairs of skis, and a few extra grand in the bank, and avoid the sled business. I would just rather avoid all of the hassle that comes along with motorized toys. Insurance, registration, maintenance, storage, transportation, plus you have to pay for the damn thing.

We skin or hike to the top of the ridges we access with the sled, but we're talking 20 -50 miles of sledding from the trailhead to the mountains we're skiing. "2 stroking is not an option." Plus I get 6-10 runs and maybe 12-20,000 vert per day of nothing but sick pow.

I bought 4 sleds and a trailer for $8,000 dollars and split that between 4 guys. Look around this summer and next fall, find someone desperate for cash who has a nice sled or 2. There are tons of used sleds in Montana that were purchased by rich people who had no idea how to use them.