Thread: BC setup advice

BC setup advice

About to pull the trigger on a BC setup…. need one last sanity test to make sure there are no issues or problems with this setup. I am more interested in sidecountry than true backcountry, but I do like climbing.

Safety:

Pieps DSP Avalanche Beacon
    Voile Telepro Shovel
    Black Diamond QuickDraw Guide Probe 300cm

Going Uphill:

Black Diamond Ascension Nylon STS Skins
    Volkl Gotama - STS skins will work on these correct?

I may go Trekkers to start, but if I get an AT binder it will be Naxo 21 on the Gots. I am not investing in AT boots, yet.

Regarding Trekkers, I know they are a compromise, but what specifically is the major problem with them?
    (1) extra weight and storage in pack
    (2) setup time
    (3) uphill motion is substantially worse vs. Naxo/Freerides because of the increased height
    (4) increased height on uphill is unstable and potentially dangerous.
    (5) All of the above

Thanks.
    Last edited by descender; 04-07-2006 at 02:08 PM.

trekkers don't sidehill and generally = day wreckers. but for true sidecountry...

clipfix sux ass, sts rules.
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

as said above trekkers blow for sidehill travel....

they are a bitch to put on, they are a pain for adjusting the lifters, and they are on the verge of breaking at all times.....

you will blow out a heel piece for sure..

they suck cock..

the only pro is that you have real bindings on the way down, but i have heard that the naxos are good....i have only used freerides before and I hated them,,,

Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy
    trekkers don't sidehill and generally = day wreckers. but for true sidecountry...

clipfix sux ass, sts rules.
    Definitely agree with the comment regarding clipfix, STS is the only option, as far as I am concerned, although G3's system is very good too.
    I would recommend saving the money you would spend on the Trekkers, wait a little longer, and go Naxo or Fritschi, or better yet, wait just a little longer still, and pick up a pair of true AT skis, and mount them with Dynafits. You just can't beat the weight savings, and this way you still have the Goats for the odd day at the resort. I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer a super light BC setup (Janak, Verdict, etc., light, wide, and soft flexing with dynafits), and fat resort ski with regular alpine boots and bindings, instead of having a burlier setup for the BC, and lugging a ton of weight around.

Just my 2 cents, good luck whatever you decide to do.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshP
    Definitely agree with the comment regarding clipfix, STS is the only option, as far as I am concerned, although G3's system is very good too.
    I would recommend saving the money you would spend on the Trekkers, wait a little longer, and go Naxo or Fritschi, or better yet, wait just a little longer still, and pick up a pair of true AT skis, and mount them with Dynafits. You just can't beat the weight savings, and this way you still have the Goats for the odd day at the resort. I have come to the conclusion that I would prefer a super light BC setup (Janak, Verdict, etc., light, wide, and soft flexing with dynafits), and fat resort ski with regular alpine boots and bindings, instead of having a burlier setup for the BC, and lugging a ton of weight around.

Just my 2 cents, good luck whatever you decide to do.
    The board is requesting that I spend even more money! I realize this is probably the best setup.
    Last edited by descender; 04-07-2006 at 02:43 PM.

By the list of stuff your buying it looks like you're starting from scratch. I'm guessing you have little or no backcountry experience. If I were you I would stick with the Trekker idea. They absolutely suck but they do get the job done. Buy a used set so you can make sure you actually enjoy bc skiing. If it's not for you it won't be hard to get your money back out of them and you're resort set up won't be ruined. If you really enjoy it you can still sell them and use that money to help get a Dynafit set up.

I personally don't have any love for Naxos or Fritchis. I think there the perfect example of something that does everthing but does nothing well. I agree with JoshP. Keep your bc and resort equipment separate.

Quote Originally Posted by descender
    About to pull the trigger on a BC setup…. need one last sanity test to make sure there are no issues or problems with this setup. I am more interested in sidecountry than true backcountry, but I do like climbing.

Safety:

Voile Telepro Shovel
    without avie education these are almost worthless - but I'm sure you know this .
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit
    without avie education these are almost worthless - but I'm sure you know this .
    Not true, you can build huge kickers with the shovel . Oh wait, I see you said almost worthless.

In all seriousness, level 1 avy is definitely worth the money. Add that to the list of shit I posted earlier.
    Did I mention backcountry skiing can be expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by manderson
    Buy a used set so you can make sure you actually enjoy bc skiing. If it's not for you it won't be hard to get your money back out of them and you're resort set up won't be ruined.
    better yet, but an expensive setup before you realize that you don't like bc skiing. then sell it to me at a severe discount on gear swap

Yeah avie course on the list. I have some limited experience but understand that knowledge and experience are the most important tools.

Just picked up some used Atomic TeleDaddys for $200. Couldn't resist the deal. The shop also had 20% off Naxo's 21 so I picked them up. All in all I have spend about 1200 on everyting minus the avie course. Not bad, and a lot cheaper then mountain biking. Still need the Avie 1 cert but classes are filled or over this year. New toys for April-May

Quote Originally Posted by descender
    Yeah avie course on the list. I have some limited experience but understand that knowledge and experience are the most important tools.

Just picked up some used Atomic TeleDaddys for $200. Couldn't resist the deal. The shop also had 20% off Naxo's 21 so I picked them up. All in all I have spend about 1200 on everyting minus the avie course. Not bad, and a lot cheaper then mountain biking. Still need the Avie 1 cert but classes are filled or over this year. New toys for April-May
    You'lll love the Naxos, a first rate compromise for all situations. My AT set up is Explosive w/NX21s and it rocks. Enjoy...
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Quote Originally Posted by MOHSHSIHd
    as said above trekkers blow for sidehill travel....

they are a bitch to put on, they are a pain for adjusting the lifters, and they are on the verge of breaking at all times.....

you will blow out a heel piece for sure..

they suck cock..

the only pro is that you have real bindings on the way down, but i have heard that the naxos are good....i have only used freerides before and I hated them,,,
    4 sale 1 pair of trekkers, make offer.....
    Gotta have more Cowbell !!!!

[QUOTE=descender]About to pull the trigger on a BC setup…. need one last sanity test to make sure there are no issues or problems with this setup. I am more interested in sidecountry than true backcountry, but I do like climbing.

Safety:

Voile Telepro Shovel

Get a shovel with an oval handle... That way in a panick situation you don't simply pull the handle out and have to fuss with putting it back together.
    Also, it's good to see you aren't considering probe-poles. Cause they suck worse than trekkers...

I'm getting a message that the reply is too short I hope that this solved the problem
    Gotta have more Cowbell !!!!

the dsp has been on sale at rei for about $100 off. it is a solid choice. i like the voile t-6 better than the regular tele-pro. it's stronger and has slats cut in it to use for a dead man anchor if needed. you can find it for the same price ($40) or $5 more in some shops. the bd 300cm guide is great for several reasons. it is quick to throw and pull, has length markings in cm's and is very sturdy. don't forget to look for a snow saw also.

re: trekkers --- (5) all of the above.

if you do invest in AT boots, let me just throw out there that the scarpa matrix thermos are soooooooooo effing sick.