Mammoth Mid-June...worth it?

Looking at a 3-day trip to mammoth in mid-june.
    Risking a drive from Sacramento.
    Any advice on what conditions and amount of terrain to expect?
    Is it worth it?
    thx
    Last edited by roymiz; 04-07-2006 at 07:06 AM.

to the top....anyone?

Yes it will be worth it. Here's a few pics from June 21 last year. Every year is different but this year we have more snow.

what are you wearing? my god it's awful

It's quite worth it. Considering my favorite bike trails in tahoe will be under for a while, I plan on being down there a bit too. Corny corn corn corn all over the place, fishing or a bike ride down lower in the afternoon and catching a sunset in a hot spring somewhere.

Not a bad place to be at all.

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    It's Mammoth, dude. Even a shitty June day at 10,000' in the eastern sierra still beats a gnargnar "powder" day anywhere else east of the continental divide. You won't be disappointed.

It's Mammoth, dude. Even a shitty June day at 10,000' in the eastern sierra still beats a gnargnar "powder" day anywhere else east of the continental divide. You won't be disappointed.
    ditto.

I have been told (by certain people who shall remain nameless) that Eastern Sierra corn is some of the best in the world and that many people come from all over just to partake in the goods.

But I have never experienced "real" mammoth corn. so I could just be talking out of my ass. you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by erica_z
    ditto.

I have been told (by certain people who shall remain nameless) that Eastern Sierra corn is some of the best in the world and that many people come from all over just to partake in the goods.

But I have never experienced "real" mammoth corn. so I could just be talking out of my ass. you decide.
    Mammoth and the Sierra's corn is certainly the best in North America. I'd even say that Mammoth's is the best simply because it lasts longer then elsewhere in the Sierra. There's nowhere else in the US or Canada that gets the corn cycle machine like the Sierras. Nowhere. Not Colorado, not Utah.

Also, you should decide for yourself! A sh!t ton of maggots will be up there for the Mammoth Mini in early May.
    Last edited by Ubersheist; 04-07-2006 at 11:07 AM.
    Fighting foot fungus one public bath house at a time!

My site

Quote Originally Posted by yogachik
    what are you wearing? my god it's awful
    I took the picture but the outfit is 100% Cast Off baby. Chicks dig it. Note the canned PBR steeze while shredding Hangmans (second pic). Nick is one in a million.

One word, PHAT!
    The mountain, not the outfit; although it does have weird steeze going.
    Gave up on the bottle, give me the lobotomy.

Let's see....

Riding in T-shirts and shorts on hero snow that is close to riding powder; chicks in bikinis; long sunny days; no crowds--only those that truly love the mtn; bbq-ing your own steaks and brats at mid station; parties in the parking lot after every day; closed areas of the mtn you can car shuttle and have rides all to yourself and bros; endless choices of bc so close; camping and parties at the hot-tubs...

Ummmm, errr, ahhh, Duh!

Do not come, you will honestly hate having to much fun.

peace,
    D.
    "There's a truth that sanity denies...." --Sprung Monkey

Does anyone know when the Tioga Pass, Route 120, is likeley to open?

Mammoth has the best spring skiing. The wind factor keeps it cold enough to prevent total slush. It stays so good. The Socal hottie bikini factor pushes it over the edge.

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    They don't start plowing/avalanche work until April 15th. Tioga didn't open last year until July 1st, IIRC. Considering the snowpack is just as deep this year, I wouldn't expect that gate to swing anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi
    Let's see....

Riding in T-shirts and shorts on hero snow that is close to riding powder; chicks in bikinis; long sunny days; no crowds--only those that truly love the mtn; bbq-ing your own steaks and brats at mid station; parties in the parking lot after every day; closed areas of the mtn you can car shuttle and have rides all to yourself and bros; endless choices of bc so close; camping and parties at the hot-tubs...
    Amen Brotha, the season is just getting started, can you believe it!! Whooo Hooo!!!
    Whoa, what you gotta say?? Whoa, girls turn 18 every day!!!
    --Vandals

DOOOOOOOO IT. Why not. Mammoth in Mid-June, worth it not to be skiing in Mid June....beceause you can? Come on. DOOOOO IT

Vets is offline Orange Mocha Frappuccino!
    I concur on the quality of corn.
    Mammoth has 360 degrees of exposure allowing for harvesting at any time of the day.
    Last June they had more lifts running on weekends than midweek. This may be a consideration if you want more lift serviced terrain.
    Based on the amount of snow this year, I would imagine that the conditions/coverage in June will be similar to last May. Here is a picture of Ubersheist spraying the abundant corn last Memorial Day weekend:

and one of me diving into a Dragon's Back corn sample: