Kayak for lake & mild surf for a noob?

Is there a sit-on-top kayak that is good to use on a large, mellow lake and also in mild surf (I'm talking long Island Sound).

I can canoe fairly well on a lake, but with regard to a kayak I'm a total noob. Never tried any of this on the Sound here but it looks fun & I'd like to try it w/ a kayak. Also I just feel a kayak would be more portable than a canoe, for me to take out after work & on weekends to get some R&R and fresh air and to help w/ my ski season withdrawals.

Advice appreciated, thank you!

Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Also, are inflatable kayaks any good or is this a waste of money? Are they difficult to inflate/deflate and are they durable?

I'm thinking portablilty key for me because I'm pretty small and it's hard for me to be throwin' stuff on the roof of my car...especially heavy stuff. I don't want to bother my husband for help every time I want to go paddling at the beach.

I'm rather light too at 112 lb. And I'm 5'3"
    Thanks again,
    Sprite
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

Hi Sprite....
    System just timed me out of my ~10min reply...
    ;-)....Inflatables...any non-stiff hulls just don't have the stiffness(not scientitic explaination;-) to cut thru the density of flatwater! That's why the higher cost for kevlar and carbon hulls! That's what those two hull materials buy you....a BIG market = pretty big bucks...but you really think about it...and the number of times you'll paddle them....their price really isn't much at all...so don't diss the more expensive materials.... There is some hip stuff out there to paddle...check out Canoe & Kayak Magazine, Paddler Magazine for some fast boats....once you feel how easy to paddle & how fast they glide....& how light they are....it's tough turning back..
    $.01
    Steve

Thank you Steve

...Ha, Sorry;-)...got to ramblin' a little...but ultralight weight has to be accompanied with some stiffness in its hull material!, othwise the denseness of water just holds it up...much like a bump ski in 16" of heavy, 2day-old, NewEngland April snow.

Why is it us Mainers respond to paddling threads?

Sprite, you can definitely get a plastic (rotomolded) sit-on-top for your intended uses. The wider it is, the more stable it will be (generally); the longer it is, the faster it will paddle and the better it will handle chop (generally). I personally surf the beach in my whitewater boat (closed deck), but the two guys who are out there the most frequently are on sit-on-tops. I'm not a SOTer myself, so I don't have any specific model recommendation, but I can say that you're thinking along the right lines.

Definitely avoid the IKs (inflatables) for your intended purpose. Creeking, yes, but not surfing and definitely not flatwater -- unless you don't care about performance at all.

You don't need a "surf-specific" SOT, either. I've caught waves in all manner of craft, including open tripping canoes. Something like the Perception Koho 9.5 would be about right. It's 9'8", 40 lbs, and can carry 190 lbs.

Remember that a lighter boat will usually either be smaller, more fragile, or both. I would never surf rocky shorelines in my kevlar canoe. Ultralight kevlar raceboats are even more fragile, making my canoe comparably fit for rocky whitewater.

Oh, I like this one. Thanks for the link Yeti!

Sprite

also www.paddling.net has some good reviews.

I haven't spent much time in my boat lately, but Sounds like the Recreational SOTs are the general area you're looking for (as you've already identified).
    "if the city is visibly one of humankind's greatest achievements, its uncontrolled evolution also can lead to desecration of both nature and the human spirit."
    -- Melvin G. Marcus 1979

Sit-On-Tops

Sprite,
    Here's a page of boats by OceanKayak...(popular manufacturer)

OceanKayak

$.01...
    Steve

Thank you!

A friend gave me a good link for kayaking instruction (ocean) near my area--in the Norwalk, CT coastal waters. I'm thinking about doing this prior to buying a kayak so I can perhaps get a better sense of what I need. I guess you can rent sit-on-tops or regular kayaks. It might be good to try both.

Anyway this link I found on the kayak instruction site he sent me is good b/c it gives some information about what to wear, water temps, that is good for a newbie. It's geared toward my neck of the woods, but probably useful reading for anyone:

http://www.kayak-adventure.net/What_...g_Kayaking.htm

Sprite

perception carolina 13 or 14?
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Too bad we are so far apart.. I'd let you try out a boat or two that I paddle for an alternative comparison to a SOT. (Well, hopefully will be picking up the second one tomorrow.) I paddle 3-5 days/week (80-100 miles/month) mostly on the flatwater of a large lake in NC... Lake Norman. I have been using a Necky Zoar Sport LV (LV stands for Low Volume) which is an entry level touring kayak. It is a step above a rec boat but still small enough (14' long/24 waist/52 lbs) for easy portage. It has good stability, tracks relatively well, is fun in waves & big chop, has plenty of storage if needed, and is what I learned to roll in, so must roll pretty easily. I would think cold might be an issue since you are in NY... With a skirt on, a sit IN model keeps your lower half warm and dry, and if you're paddling out there instead of floating around like a log, a good paddle jacket over a decent insulating layer shirt will keep you warm. Add a pair of neoprene gloves, and you're set to paddle all year round... or at least in NC where it only gets into the 20's. I would think a SOT would not be as kind in the cold. Just food for thought.

I'm moving to a 16' or 17' Necky Chatham... currently deciding between the (high $) carbon fiber 16' or the (affordable) poly 17'. If I amortize the cost of the carbon boat over number of hours I will use it, even in a year, it's not so bad. The 14 lb heavier poly at about 1/3 the cost makes that one somewhat attractive .

I realize my offer probably does not do you any good so far away, but it is there if you are by some chance in the central NC area sometime and have a desire to paddle.

At the risk of being JONGish and posting that this boat is also for sale to help fund the new boat... it's FOR SALE. If by some crazy coincidence you have gone kayak shopping and have decided that a blue Zoar is the boat you must have, then here you go. You may be thinking "How the hell can you offer for me to try it if it's for sale and you get rid of it? What an ass... go away!"

Well, my offer will still stand, cause I have two of them and only getting rid of one.

I have not spent any appreciable time in a canoe, but I can highly recommend getting a kayak. Best of luck.
    Last edited by DemonInomeD; 04-12-2006 at 08:58 PM.

Hey, thanks for the offer...and yeah I wish i was closer, I'd definitely try it out! Also appreciate you chiming in w/ the info about what to wear for a sit-in.

Here is an update: I ended up getting a kayak. It's a really cheap one, sit-on-top. It's a Pelican Viper. Basically looks like a plastic pool toy . But wtf, I figure it will get me started. It's very light and easy for me to manage which is a huge plus. Fits right into my car, another huge plus. It was only $299.

I also got one for my kid, plus I was lucky enough to pick up an Ocean Kayak on clearance for my husband that was also only $299. This originally was like $600! That one is fairly decent, also a sit-on-top.

I hear ya about the temps being a concern w/ sit-on-top. Which leads me to my next dilemna..."What To Wear." As you mentioned, what works for a sit-in probably won't keep me warm enough w/ a sit-on-top. So far, after some research I've decided what I should do is get a 2-piece 3mm wet suit. I'm thinking a farmer jane that comes with a long sleeve shorty which functions as a "jacket." "Of course, as temps warm up (maybe July in CT, maybe never in VT!) I could wear just the long-sleeved shorty.

I also saw on Sierra Trading post a dry jacket/pants set for pretty cheap. This has the neck, sleeve gaskets. Can someone chime in re: how uncomfortable this is? I'm looking at it and thinking "Oh crap." Would appreciate feedback on jackets w/ neck gaskets and/or alternatives to that.

Oh, and I will be in N. Carolina this summer...going to the Outer Banks for a week. We will be bringing the kayaks of course. Can't wait!

Sprite

Sprite,
    Here's my absolute $.01 of logic...for a Saturday afternoon;-)
    Most definitely dress to be wet! Some of the newer neoprene pieces/suits can be pretty hot, fashion-wise as well being comfortable.

It's cool because I'm starting to feel the way I felt when I started skiing! I have that butterflies in my stomach feeling. i drive around and when I see any kind of water I'm like "Could I get a kayak in there?" The world looks brighter, the birds are singing. I think I'm in love! And I haven't even hit the
    H2O yet. Should be a great summer.

Sprite

Cool Enjoy It

There are different companies that provide kayaking product reviews.
    Last edited by Jaxonjames; 11-20-2021 at 11:16 PM.

Kayaking the Best Water Sport

When I started to look beyond me, I found a lot of amazing things, and among of them kayaking is an fantastic water sport, I have searched about kayaks and paddle boards and find out that these are the craziest things that I can do but Now winter is coming that is a sad news for me but I will keep my passion up for next summer.
    Last edited by Jaxonjames; 11-20-2021 at 10:33 PM.