Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Bottom Line: Until Bush is gone we all live in Utah. Welcome to the club.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Quote Originally Posted by bigtrubs
    Hey grizzle6, since you are Mormon- I have a few questions for you that I'd love to have answered, mainly so if I was to get into a theological discussion and/or argument with someone of the Mormon faith, I would know where they were coming from. Oh, and I'm also always interested in other religions, except I'm somehow almost failing my mysticism in religion class this semester...

1) What is an angel skin, who wears them and why?

2) Is it true that the Church gives you money when you get married? Cause that would be rad. No, I don't plan on becoming Mormon any time soon.

3) Finally, what is this business in the Book of Mormon about the original people in America being white, but when some of them made God angry he turned them black, but when they won his favor back they stayed that way? Seems like Mormons would therefore be anti-black, but that can't possibly be the case. (Pardon the layman's terms, but one of my aforementioned high school friends tried to give me a brief synopsis of the Book of Mormon once.)

So this is a little tough to do over the internet in less than a paragraph, but I'll do my best.
    1)I'm guessing you're referring to garments. Garments are worn by members of the church who have been through the temple. They are representative of the clothes Adam and Eve made before they were kicked out of the Garden of Eden. Yes, it's underwear, and yes it may seem strange. But forget about how weird it sounds and understand that they basically serve as a reminder of who we are and what we represent (our commitment to be good people and do what's right). It's kind of a personal thing, and tough to explain in a paragraph. Garments are definitely one of those things that would seem freakish and strange if you didn't understand some of the things that precede them.

2) Absolutely not. This we be the sweet meat if it were true.

3)The Book of Mormon is a collection of writings from prophets that lived on the American Continent. The first prophet to write in it came from Jerusalem and brought his family to the Americas. It contains an account of when Christ visited the Americas. Many of the writings of these prophets recounted the cyclical rise and fall of two peoples and their descendants--the Lamanites and the Nephites. At one point in the Book of Mormon, the Lamanites were cursed for being a wicked people, and yes, their skin was turned "dark". However, this in no way dictates mormons as believing that blacks are wicked. The changed color of their skin was more an indication to those around them of their wickedness (as perceived by God). As you mentioned, the Lamanites did gain favor with the Lord again, but their skin remained dark. If they had been black to start off, then God quite possibly would have made them lighter skinned. The original people that came over from the Mediterranean were lighter skinned. There are many times in the Book of Mormon where the Nephites turned wicked as well. Racism is absolutely frowned upon in the church--in fact, just this weekend we had General Conference, where leaders of the Church give talks, discourses, etc. and racism and our inacceptance of such behavior was addressed several times.

Whether you're interested in the church or not, you should try reading the Book of Mormon. I think you'd find it interesting.

Like I said--tough to explain over the internet. Hope that helps.
    The Griz

I am studying Spanish at the University of Utah. I don't know the exact numbers, but a majority of the students in my major are returned missionaries from latin american countries, as is true for the other language majors at the U.

And dang it wouldn't you know, being a minority can be frustrating. I don't learn things the same way, I don't talk about the same things, I don't make social connections the same way as many of my classmates do. Sometimes I wish my classmates shared my interests, wanted to get together to drink on a weekend, or had sex lives not so alien to my reality. But I think the way things are for me helps me define who I am through contrast. I don't really ever go with the crowd which pushes me to make stronger justifications for my beliefs. And when I do agree with the majority, I find acceptance of a different point of view that I wouldn't have had in a homogenous environment.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    I'm glad you're ok with living in a community that shares beliefs so much different than yours. No thanks.
    If you are too close minded to look at the positives of living in a community with different beliefs than your own, you are missing out on so many important learning opportunities. Just keep on dissin' on Muslims, Mexicans, Mormons, and any other group that you don't have balls enough to coexist with. I'm happy (but not stuck) where I am.

I had a few mormon friends growing up in Calgary, they kept trying to convert me from Christianity
    I believe Mormons consider themselves to be Christians, but someone who actually is Mormon should confirm this since I'm neither.

The whole polygamy thing has made me question my anti-mormon sentiments.
    That doesn't sound too bad. "Yeah, I have 18 wives, and I'm doing it for God".

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    I believe Mormons consider themselves to be Christians, but someone who actually is Mormon should confirm this since I'm neither.
    Yep, you are correct.

Blurred - don't you have some triple pillow drop gnar line to be scoping? I like you better when you bring the stoke.
    "In the woods, we return to reason and faith. There I feel that nothing can befall me in life, — no disgrace, no calamity, (leaving me my eyes,) which nature cannot repair." -Emerson

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.

One good thing about mormons is their incredible knowledge and high level of twitch to ski the west face of Timpanongos. As they all stare at it while going to BYU or attending the MTC.

If I was a youngster attending BYU, I'd certainly be distracted. As I'm sure many are. You know who you are.

Quote Originally Posted by alto
    If you are too close minded to look at the positives of living in a community with different beliefs than your own, you are missing out on so many important learning opportunities. Just keep on dissin' on Muslims, Mexicans, Mormons, and any other group that you don't have balls enough to coexist with. I'm happy (but not stuck) where I am.
    Wow, you're clueless. I type this from an apartment building which is 90% Mexican. Your absolutes are played.

Quote Originally Posted by powstash
    Yep, you are correct.

Blurred - don't you have some triple pillow drop gnar line to be scoping? I like you better when you bring the stoke.
    I know some of you are Mormons, but you're jack Mormons. That's different.

I'm always confused by the whole pre-columbian contact thing. sounds bogus to me. but then, i believe in a dude who rose from the dead, so who am I to judge?

Quote Originally Posted by grizzle6
    So this is a little tough to do over the internet in less than a paragraph, but I'll do my best.
    1)I'm guessing you're referring to garments. Garments are worn by members of the church who have been through the temple. They are representative of the clothes Adam and Eve made before they were kicked out of the Garden of Eden. Yes, it's underwear, and yes it may seem strange. But forget about how weird it sounds and understand that they basically serve as a reminder of who we are and what we represent (our commitment to be good people and do what's right). It's kind of a personal thing, and tough to explain in a paragraph. Garments are definitely one of those things that would seem freakish and strange if you didn't understand some of the things that precede them.

2) Absolutely not. This we be the sweet meat if it were true.

3)The Book of Mormon is a collection of writings from prophets that lived on the American Continent. The first prophet to write in it came from Jerusalem and brought his family to the Americas. It contains an account of when Christ visited the Americas. Many of the writings of these prophets recounted the cyclical rise and fall of two peoples and their descendants--the Lamanites and the Nephites. At one point in the Book of Mormon, the Lamanites were cursed for being a wicked people, and yes, their skin was turned "dark". However, this in no way dictates mormons as believing that blacks are wicked. The changed color of their skin was more an indication to those around them of their wickedness (as perceived by God). As you mentioned, the Lamanites did gain favor with the Lord again, but their skin remained dark. If they had been black to start off, then God quite possibly would have made them lighter skinned. The original people that came over from the Mediterranean were lighter skinned. There are many times in the Book of Mormon where the Nephites turned wicked as well. Racism is absolutely frowned upon in the church--in fact, just this weekend we had General Conference, where leaders of the Church give talks, discourses, etc. and racism and our inacceptance of such behavior was addressed several times.

Whether you're interested in the church or not, you should try reading the Book of Mormon. I think you'd find it interesting.

Like I said--tough to explain over the internet. Hope that helps.
    Word, thanks for clearing that up. I just wanted to get all the rumors straightened out. One more question, how/when did Christ visit the Americas? It's obviously not in the Holy Bible, so isn't that a contradiction between the Book of Mormon and the Bible?
    Believe.

Quote Originally Posted by flykdog
    You have no idea how oppressive it is here! Sometimes when I wake up in the morning i look outside to make sure i'm not in nazi germany. It is insane, the cops are constantly harrassing me for no good reason. Why, just this morning I was driving my subie with the pot leaf window decals, legalize it bumper sticker and dancing acid bears and the cops pulled me over for nothing! Said i had a busted tail light. Fuckers.

And don't even get me started on the beer thing. I can't even enjoy real beer, instead of having to drink 6 beers to get buzzed, i need seven!@! The horror.

I went to a job interview this morning and the guy had the nerve to ask me how my weekend was. I knew what he was getting at, he wanted to know if I went to church. I said "fuck you, you mormon". I know i won't get that job cause i'm not a mo.

I know i don't have any representation in the local government so i don't even bother to get involved or vote.

In short the oppressiveness of mormon utah is ruining my life.

That is scary. Religious discrimination should have ended decades ago. I have not read this thread completely, so I am sorry if I say something that has already been posted, but how do those of you who are mormon feel about this? Do you look at it as OK to discriminate against someone seeking a job because they are not mormon? I would hope not. I realize their are good mormons and bad mormons(same as any other creed or ethnic background) and I do not want to lump everyone together. This behavior should generate deep outrage from anyone who reads that story, both mormons and non-mormons.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 04-03-2006 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD
    Yes, this is correct. Coincidentally, I just stumbled upon this little tidbit on the web last night:
    "The Book of Mormon has been organized into 6,607 verses, of which 3,925 refer to Jesus Christ, employing more than 100 uses of HIS name. Thus, some form of Christ's name was used by these ancient writers an average of one reference per 1.7 verses in the Book of Mormon." (Susan Easton Black, Finding Christ through the Book of Mormon [1987], 16­18)
    Yeah...you could say the mormons (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) have no doubt about who Christ is.

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason
    Yes, it really sucks here. Everyone hates it. Stay away.

Yep, I was waiting for a comment like this. I'll be there for the start of next season!

Word, thanks for clearing that up. I just wanted to get all the rumors straightened out. One more question, how/when did Christ visit the Americas? It's obviously not in the Holy Bible, so isn't that a contradiction between the Book of Mormon and the Bible?

In the book of John, Christ comments to the Jews that there are "other sheep which are not of this fold" and says that they are to hear his voice.

Christ visited the Americas after his death and ressurrection.
    Last edited by CS; 04-03-2006 at 12:58 PM.

No contradiction at all. We read the Book of Mormon as a companion to the Bible. We believe in both. There are mentions of Christ visiting the Americas in the Bible, although it's not spelled out "Hey--I've gotta go to America. Keep my bed warm". Christ mentions several times that he has to visit "other sheep".

Just as the Bible is a collection of writings from prophets in the Mediterranean, the Book of Mormon is a collection of writings from prophets in the Americas. Think of it as a father writing a letter to two sons--both on different sides of the globes. Same message--different address.

One of the differences is that the Bible has gone through several translations, losing some information and detail by the hand of man in the process. The Book of Mormon clarifies some of these areas i.e. pre-existence, purpose of life, where we go when we die--among other things. It is a book centered around Jesus Christ and his mission.
    The Griz

Quote Originally Posted by CS
    In the book of John Christ comments to the Jews that there are "other sheep which are not of this fold" and says that they are to hear his voice.
    Christ visited the Americas after his death and ressurrection.
    You might wanna consider a comma between John and Christ. I don't know if you really wanna give the impression there's a John Christ as well..... just sayin.

Quote Originally Posted by CS
    In the book of John Christ
    I'm not familiar with John Christ. Is he Jesus' brother or something

edit: oops, endless beat me to this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Endlessseason
    You might wanna consider a comma between John and Christ. I don't know if you really wanna give the impression there's a John Christ as well..... just sayin.
    That is comedy right thurr.
    The Griz

We are in fact christians! ALthough the major evangelical associations do not accept the church or recognize mormons as true christians. We have in fact been excluded from formal participation in the national day of prayer
    "dad, do Unicorns poop."

Mormons make me jump my bike over big jumps.

yeah yeah

fixed

One of the differences is that the Bible has gone through several translations, losing some information and detail by the hand of man in the process. The Book of Mormon clarifies some of these areas i.e. pre-existence, purpose of life, where we go when we die--among other things. It is a book centered around Jesus Christ and his mission.
    So the book of mormon was written in English by prophets in the Americas dating before European contact with the continents???
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

Those crazy Mormons! They don't drink beer or coffee, they wear weird underwear, and they worship some dude named John Christ.

Dispell another myth, if it is. Is it manditory to give 20% to the church? I don't know and I am just wondering out of pure curiosity. There seems to be a lot of head scratching out there. If I just join do I get any bennies (joke not ment to offend)?