Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw
    go to groovy-uv man!

you'll hone you riding skills to a level even better than they are now and you'll get a quality education. both of which you can take w/ you out west when u finish school and tear it up!!
    :
    That just kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonder_River
    Well, they're are quite different so it depends on what your looking for- small or big. Bozeman is more of a picturesque mountain town, SLC is smoggy and populated. You'll recognize faces and probably meet people quicker at MSU since it's a smaller community. Utah has more snow and more terrain, but with decent coverage at the Bozeman areas, the terrain kills. If it's only about skiing go with Utah, if your looking for more of a sense of community like Burlington would have, go to Montana.

Don't consider Missoula, you'll get bored with the skiing pretty quick.
    hmmm, interesting. One of my best friends grew up in Missoula and went to Bozeman for College (both he and his wife). They of course skied at Bridger and Big Sky all the time (his wife was on the extreme skiing team... or whatever that name was). But he likes Snowbowl just as well. I found that interesting. Big Sky is sweet but a good little distance from Bozeman.

Anyway, just an interjection. Go to Bozeman, man. Leave more powder for us at Snowbowl.

Bozeman is better for skiing.

Missoula is better for just about everything else. Especially the female:male ratio.

Believe it.

Snowbowl definitely doesn't suck.

Go to bozeman... but ski moonlight because bridger is already too damn crowded

Quote Originally Posted by pointedem
    That just kills me.
    whaat??

I think he means that the snow in the east sucks...

But seriously, MSU is a very under-appreciated school.

I now have an updated question: If I don't get in to UVM (I'm going if I get in, I find out in a couple weeks) is it worth going 45k in debt to my parents go to CU, or should I just go to Utah on my parents money. They're making me pay the rough difference if I choose CU. So what say you?

jtran10
    -take year off go bum in MT, establish residency, and then take the mext 8 years to get your undergrad and work in fisheries biology and stand in the river in the summer and ski all winter in some of the best snow and the best terrain anywhere.

I would be surprised if you got into the rest but don't get into UVM. If that is the case.....I know I will probably take some shit for this I would choose CU unless you plan on staying in ut,co,mt,wy etc etc. I think CU has a more recognizable name on both the coasts, but especially the east coast. Besides if your still planing on accounting and think you want to go to one of the big four firms you'll be making more than enough to pay down that debt over your first few years. That being said, by taking the debt you lose some flexibility in you after school plans. I would imagine you are pretty safe with uvm though.

Anyone here do grad school at MSU for physics?

Since you are planning on taking a year off, I would spend that time doing some serious work on what do you want to do for a living. Also spend the time working in an area that you think will be the area of study that you are considering to get some funds for the expenses. I know it is all about student loans and all these days to get through school, but it would help if you come out of 4 years of attending college with a degree that you can find employment in and as low amount of debt as possible. If that means establishing residency to save on the tuition, then do that.

As for what to major in- get with your existing guidance office, and start coming up with a plan- testing (apptitude and personality if they offer it) if needed on what you may excel at, what you may enjoy doing (right brain vs left brain, people person vs analytical work, etc.) and then think about shadowing a few people out in the real world in their jobs or do a career interview (you do not want a job from them, you want to spend an hour or 2 discussing with them what they like about their job and skills needed, etc.)

Make this year off more than a full time sit around and do nothing because I do not have a plan for my life at the age of 19 (or how ever old you are right now) type of break from school.

Switch to engineering, go to MTech in Butte. Their Petroleum engineering program kicks ass.

FOr what it is worth, i went to UVM and live out west now. Knowing what I know today, I would probably go to CU. It is a great school, with access to great terrain. Hot chicks and great riding in the off seasons

I would hit the Univ Of Utah as well. By far the best skiing. If i went to school there, I would have never finished, the skiing is just off the hook. Can you imagine skiing the bird/alta everday before or after class. That would be the bomb.

Q: I'm moving to Bozeman next week, for school. What's the music scene like? Is there one? N.B.: singer-songwriters and shitty jambands don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by jtran10
    I now have an updated question: If I don't get in to UVM (I'm going if I get in, I find out in a couple weeks) is it worth going 45k in debt to my parents go to CU, or should I just go to Utah on my parents money. They're making me pay the rough difference if I choose CU. So what say you?
    Utah.

I know someone who got wait listed at UVM as a freshman and was accepted at the U and CU. He's going to the U this upcoming year. Honestly, having been through this (applied to CU, UVM, and the U, and got accepted everywhere), talked about it with guidance counselors, parents, pre-law advisors, people who ski both CO and UT... and visited all three schools myself, I chose the U. CU was cool to visit, and Boulder was an awesome town, I just don't think I could live there. The skiings better in UT, and the people at the school itself were more helpful (and from the few students I met at both schools... I got a better vibe at the U). While CU may be a little more academically prestigous, it fails to substantiate the cost difference. There are opportunities available at almost (maybe not even almost) every college, and ultimately, it's what you make of it. Yeah, having LCC etc down the street will be distracting, and often a temptation, but there are temptations everywhere. It'll teach you self control or you'll fail out, I guess. Hope that was of some help... I'm glad I have that decision over with

I'm in the same boat as you, and I visited MSU and UU along with CU and CSU and I between the two I like MSU better. Utah has epic skiing nearby but the university seems to be a big commuter school and is said to have poor student life. I really liked the campus feel of MSU and the town of bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big One
    Utah has epic skiing nearby but the university seems to be a big commuter school and is said to have poor student life.
    Yes I go to the U and my life sucks because of all the commuters.

I think BYU would be more your taste.

To update everyone I decided that I'm not going to take a year off. School next year, just need to decide where.

go to UVM, then take a year off to be a ski bum in jackson, then south america, thats what myself and a few other buddies from UVM are planning
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy