Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Excellent point(s)
    the Octomore I had was nothing but the most vicious peat kick in the mouth I ever experienced in my 25+ years of drinking lots and lots of scotch, a lot of it islay. It was an early edition and I think had been only aged less than 10 years. I havent gone back and sampled any of the later editions as their PPMs put me off.
    I always wondered if, past a certain ppm, if peat flavor intensity levels off (of course age and alcohol % and other factors contribute) Would be a fun experiment. To be clear I don’t have or keep any Octomore in my collection. “Regular” Islay scotch is plenty peat for my liking.

the classic, or really any one you can get.
    with your tastes avoid the unpeated or dont, it may surprise you
    It looks like only the "Port Charlotte" line is peated...but it says "heavily peated." I love peat, so I think I am just going to grab the standard port charlotte 10 year and see how it compares to my go to 10 year Ardbeg. Probably have to order the Port Charlotte online and can refill the Ardbeg locally.

Edit: damn, shipping prices are high.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    It looks like only the "Port Charlotte" line is peated...but it says "heavily peated." I love peat, so I think I am just going to grab the standard port charlotte 10 year and see how it compares to my go to 10 year Ardbeg. Probably have to order the Port Charlotte online and can refill the Ardbeg locally.

Edit: damn, shipping prices are high.
    "Port Charlotte" is a community on Islay that formed around a distillery of the same name (the buildings still stand)

Bruichladdich Distillery is closeby on the island and they now own the old PC distillery buildings . The "Port Charlotte" bottles from Bruichladdich are distilled at Bruichladdich and then the barrels are matured (stored) on the Port Charlotte Distillery grounds.

You can find bottles of "Port Charlotte Scotch" under other labels - and I've had that before - but I'm not sure where this scotch is actually distilled from because the true PC distillery shut down in 1929. It can be a bit confusing. But I dont' think anyone is drinking "Port Charlotte single malt" that has come out of the stills in the Port Charlotte distillery.
    Last edited by bennymac; 11-24-2020 at 01:52 AM.

Single Malt Scotch.

Well...after a trip to the two local stores, which I had not bought scotch from for a while...I ended up with two Ardbegs. The Lagavulin 16 was $144 at one and $121 at the other. The Laphroiag 10 was $71. All before tax.

I think I am going to have to order 2 or 3 bottles online. Those prices are crazy! The two Arbegs came to almost $60 each...I wasn’t willing to overpay so much on the others to fill my craving tonight.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1605908286.796398.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	226.6 KB 
ID:	349000
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

The ardbeg 10 is great. That 5 is likely gonna be potent!

Let us know what you think

Single Malt Scotch.

PM me if you want a 5% off code on your first online purchase at https://www.acespirits.com. Their prices are great and they ship to all legally accepting states:
    AZ,CA,CO,CT,DC,FL,GA,ID,IN,KS,MA,MD,ME,MI,MN,MO,MT ,NE,NH,NV,NM,NJ,NC,ND,OR,SC,WI,WV & WY
    No affiliation, just have had great service there.
    Last edited by Dee Hubbs; 11-20-2020 at 04:24 PM.

Anyone ever tried extending the aging on a bottle? I was thinking of putting ardbeg 10 in a 1l barrel and leave it for a year or so. The super high surface area to volume ratio should accelerate the aging so 1 year in a 1l should be the equivalent to several in a full sized barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Give it a try. $50 gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Anyone ever tried extending the aging on a bottle? I was thinking of putting ardbeg 10 in a 1l barrel and leave it for a year or so. The super high surface area to volume ratio should accelerate the aging so 1 year in a 1l should be the equivalent to several in a full sized barrel.

Where did you get the barrel from? Just curious.

You may already know this - the effects will be determined by a number of factors - surface area being 1 of them.

Name:	Image1605915120.492657.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	349021

So the Wee Beastie (“WB”) has a hint more golden hue to it then the 10 year. I am sure an expert reviewer gives a better assessment, but for me, the WB is a bit more alcohol forward, less peaty and smoky then the 10, but a bit more bite on the tongue.

I think they are usually pretty close in price, and because I bought them at two different stores, the WB was actually about $5 more.

The 10 is a familiar family friend for me, which maybe influences my opinion of the WB. Bottom line for me, the 10 is definitely better and even at $10 cheaper, I probably wouldn’t grab the WB over it. If the 10 was $50 and the WB was $30...maybe the WB would be good to keep around. If the WB sticks around on the market and the 10 moves upmarket to $70...I think there is a place for the WB on the store shelves.

Bottom line...the 10 is better and I don’t see myself buying the WB again. It is still tasty though and for me, will be the second or third glass after a 10 or two. The transition between them will be nice after a slight buzz.

The peat enters the process prior to distillation - so if these are made using the same recipe (which is unknown) the 5 would be expected to be “harsher” for lack of a better word.

Other factors like how much water was added prior to bottling, and any caramel added or other additives, and also the fact that although these bottles have 5 and 10 on them that is just the guarantee that no whisky in that bottle is younger than that age. Both the 10 and the 5 could have small amounts of 12 year old whisky blended in for example (along with other amounts of different age whiskies) - all the achieve a consistent desired product.

Single Malt Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    The peat enters the process prior to distillation - so if these are made using the same recipe (which is unknown) the 5 would be expected to be “harsher” for lack of a better word.

Other factors like how much water was added prior to bottling, and any caramel added or other additives, and also the fact that although these bottles have 5 and 10 on them that is just the guarantee that no whisky in that bottle is younger than that age. Both the 10 and the 5 could have small amounts of 12 year old whisky blended in for example (along with other amounts of different age whiskies) - all the achieve a consistent desired product.
    That makes sense. I am definitely more of a drinker then a taster lol. The WB is 47.4% versus 46% for the 10. Maybe the harshness of the WB vs the 10 makes the peat and smoke harder for me to taste?

Edit: I did just go read some expert reviews and it seems most also think “beastie” is not a great description and it is much less bold then the 10 year.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    That makes sense. I am definitely more of a drinker then a taster lol. The WB is 47.4% versus 46% for the 10. Maybe the harshness of the WB vs the 10 makes the peat and smoke harder for me to taste?
    Not questioning your experience- it’s quite possible they are produced in different ways and that the 5 has less peat in it. So many unknown factors.

New acquisition. I'll sip on this throughout the night and report back, but for peat heads, I can already tell that I'm going to love this bottle.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Single Malt Scotch.

Good buy. I enjoyed it tgapp

Benny...question away, please. This was my first experience explaining how two different scotches taste next to each other. Historically, I always bought one bottle and drank till gone...then bought another.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    New acquisition. I'll sip on this throughout the night and report back, but for peat heads, I can already tell that I'm going to love this bottle.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
    It’s been interesting to follow this distillery as they came online and started releasing bottles back in 2011/2012. Yes please report back your thoughts.

Laphroaig 10 over $70?
    Please tell me you are in Canada

FFS
    Seeing people buy and appreciate Kilchoman makes me smile.
    Like benny, been followingvthem since their first release.
    Keep getting beter

It's $80 in Ontario. Which is why I stick to Bourbon.

Laphroaig 10 over $70?
    Please tell me you are in Canada
    Nope...20 minutes down valley from Aspen. I will try the one large liquor store and see what their prices are. I couldn’t believe the price on the Lagavulin 16. $143 is laughable.

Enjoying my Ardbeg though.

Old snowmass?
    Funny i met my old roommate when he worked in the liquor store in Basalt right there on the main drag.

Not sure its there anymore.
    He commented i bought sheep dip, which was cheaper than single malt but better than most blends.
    Turned me on to Old Overholt and Weller when it was cheap.
    This was 96ish?

Moved in with us on Homestead a few months later

Came to work with me at the hotel in Aspen after that.

Saved my life when i went over a cliff in west Sneakys.

Lives in Austin now.

Good dude.

Scotch whisky.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Where did you get the barrel from? Just curious.

You may already know this - the effects will be determined by a number of factors - surface area being 1 of them.
    2 Liters American Oak Aging Whiskey Barrel | Handcrafted using American White Oak | Age your own Whiskey, Beer, Wine, Bourbon, Tequila, Hot Sauce & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J82FLOK...bY23P3T9?psc=1

Maybe the smart thing to do would be to age something else in it first, then put the Whiskey in it.

It’d be nice to sitting around a fireplace hearing stories like that and sampling whisky. Will raise a toast to skiers everywhere regardless.

Yes the Lagavulin 16, while delicious, is the Macallan 12/18 of Islay - that is to say you pay extra for the name and cachet. Ardbeg and Laphroig are both next door neighbors with options that are just as enticing and often more so.

Name:	Image1605933506.864008.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	142.0 KB 
ID:	349063

Sipping some Ancnoc 18 by the fire. I think I’ll move onto some peat next.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    2 Liters American Oak Aging Whiskey Barrel | Handcrafted using American White Oak | Age your own Whiskey, Beer, Wine, Bourbon, Tequila, Hot Sauce & More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J82FLOK...bY23P3T9?psc=1

Maybe the smart thing to do would be to age something else in it first, then put the Whiskey in it.

Every whiskey must follow some sort of bell curve of intensity as it ages in a cask. It goes in clear and then with time picks up flavors from the wood/whatever is soaked into that wood from the previous aging/whatever charring of the wood took place in advance. So those flavors will increase - while the distillate simultaneously ages and potentially mellows. The angel’s share evaporates off - not sure if that increases the alcohol percentage. I’ve had 40+ year Islay straight from a cask - as you can imagine it was mellowed dramatically. Shit was older than I was.

So much to learn. Playing with a barrel would be fun - depending on where you live and what you can buy you could put high proof clear grain alcohol in and let it sit for 3-4 years and make your own whiskey out of it.

Build a still age that in it, then scotch.
    But i would go with higher proof wisky

Dibs on a jar a shine