Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
    Smokehead
    Can you get that in the US / your side of the pond.

It's like a working mans (affordable) Ardbeg or Caol Isla
    Gone fishing

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Anyone know of any unpeated Islay single malts that they can recommend, other than the one I posted above?
    Does it have to be Islay? Aberlour A’bunadh is a great unpeated scotch, but it’s Speyside.

Thanks....although, I bet that these may be impossible to buy in UT.

I love the peat. ....Big fan of Laphroaig. Variety is the spice, right? However, the Bruichladdich above may be the finest scotch that I have ever tasted. SFG
    I really do have a love/hate relationship with UT liquor stores.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Thanks....although, I bet that these may be impossible to buy in UT.

...I really do have a love/hate relationship with UT liquor stores.
    (Cough) Evanston (cough, cough)

Anybody have recommendations for a good scotch advent calendar? Looking to sample 25 new tastes this December. Looking for shipping in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Does it have to be Islay? Aberlour A’bunadh is a great unpeated scotch, but it’s Speyside.
    This stuff is alarmingly smooth for how potent it is. It'd be a solid addition to a collection but for my taste it's not a regular go-to.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Anybody have recommendations for a good scotch advent calendar? Looking to sample 25 new tastes this December. Looking for shipping in the USA.
    Whoa, is thing a thing? Over the summer I decided to start growing my collection by one bottle per month, which has had some hits and some misses, but a sampling with that variety would be amazing.

Caol Ila 15 yr I believe is unpeated. I've only tried Coal Ila 12 yr so I can't comment on the taste. I think Bunnahabhain 12 yr is either lightly peated or unpeated. I don't think I've tried this one either.

If you want Islay scotch but don't care for peat then I'd suggest stepping lightly into peat to help get used to the characteristics of peat. Oban 14 and Highland Park 12 are two whiskys that have mild peat notes and are still great whiskys. I jumped into peat with Talisker Storm and haven't looked back.

Another option to work ones way into peated whisky is to get The Distillers Editions. I've tried a few of them and have some at home. These varieties are usually finished in sherry or port casks so they have sweeter notes that, at least to me, temper the peat flavors a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Check out the Whiskey Vault channel on YouTube. They've done so some whiskey and scotch advent calendars. I looked into it last year, but they were too pricey for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Caol Ila 15 yr I believe is unpeated. I've only tried Coal Ila 12 yr so I can't comment on the taste. I think Bunnahabhain 12 yr is either lightly peated or unpeated. I don't think I've tried this one either.

If you want Islay scotch but don't care for peat then I'd suggest stepping lightly into peat to help get used to the characteristics of peat. Oban 14 and Highland Park 12 are two whiskys that have mild peat notes and are still great whiskys. I jumped into peat with Talisker Storm and haven't looked back.

Another option to work ones way into peated whisky is to get The Distillers Editions. I've tried a few of them and have some at home. These varieties are usually finished in sherry or port casks so they have sweeter notes that, at least to me, temper the peat flavors a little.
    Highland Park is lovely. Another one to try is Dalwhinnie

Talisker is like sucking on a band-aid but there are times I've enjoyed it.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I've got a couple Dalwhinnie the Distiller Edition bottles at home and I do enjoy them. Talisker is currently my favorite distillery so when I drink it is like I'm drinking the sea. I get the peat flavor, but there is so much more going on than just the peat. I think I'll have an after dinner pour tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Highland Park is lovely. Another one to try is Dalwhinnie

Talisker is like sucking on a band-aid but there are times I've enjoyed it.
    I agree with Ms. Peel, Highland Park is my favorite by far. Dalwhinnie is nice, but Talisker not really working for my taste buds. O, and a big shout out to Caol Isle 18 when I can get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

For those not man enough for Tide pods...

Scotch 'capsules' deliver whiskey without the glass
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I picked up Oban Distillers Edition 2017 edition for my reward to getting my black belt in Wu Ying Tao this weekend. It is great. I've always liked Oban 14yr for the light peat notes and this Distillers Edition is basically Oban 14yr with a sherry cask finish. It's 43% abv, but I wish it was little stronger as the middle is a little weak for my palatte.

It's a shame that many of my favorite scotches have gone up in price quite a bit. Balvenie Doublewood 12 and the Carribbean Cask have gone up about $15 and others have gone up more.

I went to the grocery store to pick up some pick up some much needed food and walked through their liquor department to check out the clearance section. I found several GOT whiskys for great prices so I grabbed three that I don't have. The liquor dept manager said they were found in the back while cleaning.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200416_172350.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	325527

Score!

Goddamn that Corryvrecken is good.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    Goddamn that Corryvrecken is good.
    fuck yeah, corry is in my top ten GOAT list. at like $90 or whatever it's a no brainer. have you had uigedal yet? curious what you think of it.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    fuck yeah, corry is in my top ten GOAT list. at like $90 or whatever it's a no brainer. have you had uigedal yet? curious what you think of it.

Yeah. I also have one of them in the cabinet. I’ll side-by-side tomorrow but I think I prefer the Corryvrecken.

You can’t lose - you can only win in different ways with those 2 bottles

Shit I was just gonna go to bed but now I think I’ll go drink scotch

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post

I absolutely love Uigedal.

Quote Originally Posted by Storm Hood View Post
    I absolutely love Uigedal.
    To me it’s the OG GOAT. It’s the benchmark. They could make nothing else if they wanted to (though I’m thankful they choose to make other things as well)

So: they’re both awesome. I think Ardbeg’s marketing department chose well when they named one for a whirlpool and one for a lake. My personal preference leans towards the Corry but I’d be thrilled to have either.

I’m a little surprised by that because Bowmore 12 is still my type specimen for what a Scots whisky should be, and I think they use sherry casks (although I haven’t bothered to do my homework).

You're right though - the Corry is also amazing. And yes their marketing department has played a role in their success for sure.

The Ardbeg /Laphroig/Lagavulin distilleries are all within spitting distance of each other - that stretch of road is heaven on earth.

I also agree that Corry edges out Uigedal, but only just barely. I haven't had the Bowmore 12 yet but I'll keep an eye out for it. Stoked to see some Ardbeg love on here, those two bottles are all-time.