Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Single Malt Scotch.

Well, as if I didn't have a drinking problem already, I've been getting into some single malts lately. Mainly because my uncle let me try six or seven he had the last time I visitied. The stuff is awesome! I'm pretty jongish, though, at this point.

My uncle had some potent stuff like Talisker and some Islays -- Lagavulin (?), Caol Ila (18) and Laphroaig (10), they are his favorites. Those definitely will take me awhile to get used to and start to really appreciate, but I think I liked them... He did have Macallan 12 and Highland Park 15, and those were just right. Highland Park was not too intense and really tasty (hehe...) and Macallan was kind of woody and, again, tasty .

So, I went out and bought a bottle of The Balvenie 12 DoubleWood to start. It's not bad, not bad at all, I like it too. Gets you all warm and fuzzy, and has a bit of a fruity taste. I read a book, and they use all these weird terms to describe the different flavors. I think, it'll take me some time to really taste what they are talking about, but it's fun anyways.

So, the point of this thread finally -- please, post some of your favorites and describe 'em as simply as you can. I'm hoping to get a collection going and it'd be cool to get other people's perspectives.
    “Don’t want to sound like a dick or nothing but it says on your chart you’re fucked up. You talk like a fag, and your shit’s all retarded.”

I don't want to hear about your fruity doublewood

I am just getting in to this myself, and recently bought a bottle of Glendronach 15, which is stored on old sherry barrels. You really notice the sherry (more in the taste than the smell), it's fuller, sweeter and rounder than anything I've tried before. The taste is very long and warm.

Eh eh... (caveat : being french, i'm short on vocabulary)
    If you're more a 'Highland style' lover (ie Balvenie) rather then 'Islay' (ie Laphroaig, more powerful, often heavily peated), you may want to try a Strathisla (own personal classification... I'm sure some scotts may object).
    A very nice 'in between' is also the Oban. A really nicely balanced flavour.
    My feeling is that it's nice to have at one time, say, 3 different kinds : A powerfull Talisker - like, a mellower, more perfumed one like a Balvenie and something in between (see Oban).
    On a side note, you amaerican shoudn't be envious : I've bought some month ago this great rye , that wont last long...

Quote Originally Posted by Infantile Egomaniac
    So, I went out and bought a bottle of The Balvenie 12 DoubleWood to start.
    Heh.. I started with the same thing.

Similar story. A friend of mine invited me to a thing called Whiskeyfest last November. It's in NYC - for $90, you get to sample a whole bunch of whiskeys.. a couple hundred of them. All you can drink.

You can "aquire the taste" quickly in such a setting. In one night I went straight from a beer drinker to a single-malt scotch drinker- neat, every time.

Talkisker is pretty rough. Not sure I can get used to drinking that one neat. I prefer Bowmore for the woody flavor but a lot smoother.

Anyway, at the peace bridge duty free (international border at buffalo, NY) I picked up the bottle of Balvenie. In the past four months, I bought a couple more coming back from whistler over xmas, and a couple more in Heathrow last month on a business trip. And a couple more here and there..

My single malt collection has grown to:
    Balvenie
    Bowmore
    Isle of Jura
    McCallan 12
    McCallan 18
    Glenfiddich
    Something else I can't recall at the moment.

Drinking it neat helps me drink it slow and appreciate the flavors. No bottle is half-empty yet, most are still nearly full.

Isle of Jura is great suggestion. And interesting : an Islay which tastes like a Highland. If you're not too much in the 'peated' flavor but still want something really rich and complex :
    And stay away from the Glenfidich !

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR
    Isle of Jura is great suggestion. And interesting : an Islay which tastes like a Highland. If you're not too much in the 'peated' flavor but still want something really rich and complex :
    And stay away from the Glenfidich !
    Glenfiddich is a good one to introduce people with. But yeah.. For a recovering jong like me, it tasted a lot better back in November when I was new to this than it does now. Even still, there are days when I'm in the mood for it. Can't explain it.

Isle of Jura is one that I would never had tried except that it was at Whiskeyfest and figured, "what the hey.." and everyone, jongs included, likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    Glenfiddich is a good one to introduce people with. But yeah.. For a recovering jong like me, it tasted a lot better back in November when I was new to this than it does now. Even still, there are days when I'm in the mood for it. Can't explain it.
    At my graduation a couple weeks ago, we toasted one of our professors who had passed away (and who always talked about Scotch in class) with Glenfiddich. For a straight beer/rum drinker like me, I was really surprised at how much I liked it.
    Yep, seen this before. Crazy liquor & cheeseburger party got out of control.

If you are ever in Saratoga, always start your evening at Nine Maple. They have about 120 single malts, and the barkeeps are real pros who will educate you about every one. Good jazz, too.

I'm partial to Balvenie and Glenmorangie, meself. Tried to like Laphroaig but I guess I'm a pussy. Ditto on Glenfiddich. It ain't nothing special at all.

I don't keep much around the house, though. I'll be damned if I'm going to let my college age kids poach fine liquor and mix it with Dr. Pepper.
    Damn, we're in a tight spot!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane
    If you are ever in Saratoga, always start your evening at Nine Maple. They have about 120 single malts, and the barkeeps are real pros who will educate you about every one. Good jazz, too.
    NYC mags should definitely hit the brandy library in tribeca.
    http://www.brandylibrary.com/

another maccallan, besides the 12, i like is the cask strength, neat or with a splash of room temp water.

Quote Originally Posted by steve
    My single malt collection has grown to:
    Balvenie
    Bowmore
    Isle of Jura
    McCallan 12
    McCallan 18
    Glenfiddich
    Right now I've got some Bowmore and Isle of Jura sitting at home. I enjoy both very much, though they are quite distinctive (farily dark and peaty for the former; lighter and fruitier for the latter). I've also taken to bringing back some Dalmore for a friend whenever I find myself on the the other side of the pond. That one is very smooth and enjoyable.

Sick and ashamed and happy (and always enjoy Glenfiddich as a trusted stand-by),
    d.
    "Laughter and tears are both responses to frustration and exhaustion. I myself prefer to laugh, since there is less cleaning up to do afterward."
    - Kurt Vonnegut

while not exactly a recommendation, a few years back my brother and i made an agreement to give each other a bottle of single malt scotch for birthdays and christmas. it makes the shopping much easier, you always get something that fits, and it is fun to try each other's favorites. also, im not so likely to spend $50 - $100 bucks on a bottle of whiskey for myself, but definitely will for my brother.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Glenmorangie Madiera wood finish is a personal fave, smooth but lots of flavour and I suppose slightly sweet.

Bowmore 17 smooth with warm oak finish (subtle). Bowmore mariner 15 (sail boat painted on the front) again smooth and warm with a bit of peatiness.

Laguvulin once you've paved the road (already half drunk).

You mentioned the macallan's, highland park both very good and easy to drink. I like mine with about 2 cubes of ice. Tasters will tell you room temp and a couple of drops of water, but I like it how I like it and fuck them.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

When I lived in Scotland I learnt a few things:
    - the skiing might normally be shit but the whiskies are always good
    - deep fried Mars bars are always a good thing but never with whisky
    - the whisky is cheaper at the airport than at lots of distilleries
    - Scottish Universities tend to have a "Water of Life" Society. This is a good thing.

Personally I am not a big fan of most Lowland and Eastern whiskeys, give me the smokey, peaty West Highland and Island Malts. In particular, I love Ardberg, their 17 year old is an all time favourite and streets ahead of the 10yo. Another favourite Islay is the Laphroaig.

In general I tend to avoid the so called "Classic" malts although I do like the Lag and Taliskers. Something about the aggressive marketing of whisky by a multinationaly conglomerate seems to be the anathema of a localy distinctive, non-mass-produced product.

I like Cragganmore 12yr. Great all-around drinking Scotch - not too peaty, not too sweet. I had it in flasks for myself and my Groomsmen for my wedding.

Second the Vote for cask strength Macallan.

It's yummy, but needs watering/ice (if that's your thing.) Most, if not all, whiskies are watered when they come out of the cask to achieve the 80 proof ABV. Cask strength whiskies and bourbons are usually around 105-120 proof.

Back when I smoked I always drank Laphroaig. It's perfect for cutting through the tar.

BTW - did you know that White Horse (a blended Scotch) is made from Lagavulin? Tastes really good and can be had for $15 for a 750ml bottle here in the States. My favorite "cheap" Scotch by far, and it's been around since 1861!

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster
    It's yummy, but needs watering/ice (if that's your thing.) Most, if not all, whiskies are watered when they come out of the cask to achieve the 80 proof ABV. Cask strength whiskies and bourbons are usually around 105-120 proof.
    i gave my brother a cask strength single malt for christmas last year (i forget the name, but i think it was 120 proof). He didnt read the label until the morning after he and a buddy had put a significant dent in the bottle.

Then he understood why his head hurt so much.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by philippeR
    A very nice 'in between' is also the Oban. A really nicely balanced flavour.
    Seconded. Oban is great. One of the best for the money.

Try adding a couple drops of water (not a splash, just a few drops), it helps to bring out the flavors.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn
    Seconded. Oban is great. One of the best for the money.

Try adding a couple drops of water (not a splash, just a few drops), it helps to bring out the flavors.

If youre referring to me about the splash, this is just in the cask strength 120 proofers. For everything else normal 80 proofish a couple drops indeed. Felt I needed to clarify

Thanks, guys, keep the reviews coming.

Note to self: use more of these
    “Don’t want to sound like a dick or nothing but it says on your chart you’re fucked up. You talk like a fag, and your shit’s all retarded.”

From Campeltown on the Mull Of Kintyre, birthplace of me granpappy: Springbank.
    It's somewhyere betweeyn ye auld blistahs au da Islands of Talisker, Laphroig and 'ighlands of Dalwhinnie or Glenmorangie.
    Me personal favorite run peruse a Burns line or ta.
    Others: Glenfarclas, Cadenhead, Bruichladdich.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Tippster,
    excellent call on the Cragganmore. Great stuff.

Macallan 15 is also really good.

Great resource for single malts is http://www.maltmadness.com

Personal favorite is cask strength Laphraoig, but I like the peaty stuff.

God, I love Scotch. Scotchy scotch scotch. Down it goes into my belly.

Mr Nohills likes the Laphroc, Glenfidditch and also Dalmore.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere.

Peat Is For Fertilizer

Bushmills is made in Occupied Ireland, so I advise against serving it at any IRA fundraising events
    Last edited by irul&ublo; 04-04-2006 at 05:48 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.