Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Dalwhinnie 15 yr is very nice...
    I have heard it called the flowery scotch...who cares its tastes quite nice...
    But you have to go back and get some others to sample...
    if you likes the Dalwhinnie, try MacCallan 12yr, Glennmoranngie 12 yr, Auchentashen three wood...
    But i caution you, you may not like drinking anything else during the winter months...
    I like my beer during summer, but winter time is scotch time...

"flavour map" of the classics
    as a scotch JONG (and JONG in general) I found it helpful

So I am kind of a Islay jong, and have recently had my eyes completely opened to how much better they are to me than any other region...I just really like the peat. I am finishing off a 17 yr Bowmore that I have really enjoyed, and I was just wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for a decent Islay that has some peat to it in the $35 to $50 range?

Kind of looking for something affordable to drink 4 or 5 nights a week...for some reason a dram or two of single malt after a day of work really clears the head, and I have been drinking $70 to $90 bottles the last couple months in this manner, and it is getting hefty on the pocket book....thanks!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

I just decided that I like MacCallan 12 significantly better than Glenfiddich 18. The MacCallan was $37 at CostCo and the Glenfiddich was $43. Hadn't had the Glenfiddich 18 before so I figured it was worth a shot. Wrong call.

Other stuff I like (mostly stuff I've found at Trader Joe's):

The Dalmore 12
    Laphaoig 10
    TJ's (distilled by MacCallan) Single Malt

If I wasn't so damn poor, I'd imagine there'd be better stuff on my list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I agree with that assesment...
    McCallan 12yr will hold its own on many other single malts...
    I will buy McCallan 12 yr before any Glennlivet 18 or Glennfidich 18...
    I think its a great drink any time...

Single malt scotch is just plain good stuff... just be sure to be capable of appreciating it... a few friends of mine and I woke up after a party to find we had enjoyed some shots the night before... there were full bottles of Teachers on the counter and many distinguished Scottish soldiers next to them. We had been doing shots with some very nice sipping scotches and decided that a good policy was to decide that "Scotch is not a shooter" and leave it at that.

Quote Originally Posted by rspacher View Post
    Dalwhinnie 15 yr is very nice...
    I have heard it called the flowery scotch...who cares its tastes quite nice...
    But you have to go back and get some others to sample...
    if you likes the Dalwhinnie, try MacCallan 12yr, Glennmoranngie 12 yr, Auchentashen three wood...
    But i caution you, you may not like drinking anything else during the winter months...
    I like my beer during summer, but winter time is scotch time...
    Not a big drinker, but I tried some Dalwhinnie 15yr for the first time last night and the first sip was less than pleasing. It certainly got better, but I'll be trying these others.
    "Oh, no pics. To simulate the skiing today, walk out your door, grab a handful of snow, and throw it in your face. Repeat as necessary.
    If you don't have snow outside your door, what the fuck are you living there for?"
    -Bum Z 1/30/08

Yes, I will have some tonight. That is all.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    So I am kind of a Islay jong, and have recently had my eyes completely opened to how much better they are to me than any other region...I just really like the peat. I am finishing off a 17 yr Bowmore that I have really enjoyed, and I was just wondering if anyone had a good suggestion for a decent Islay that has some peat to it in the $35 to $50 range?

Kind of looking for something affordable to drink 4 or 5 nights a week...for some reason a dram or two of single malt after a day of work really clears the head, and I have been drinking $70 to $90 bottles the last couple months in this manner, and it is getting hefty on the pocket book....thanks!
    Hmmm... maybe try Caol Ila 12 (around $50). I've seen some deals on teh webz that fit your budget - Bunnahabhain 12, Laphroaig 10, Bowmore 12... all under $50 if you look around. Better yet, take a road trip over to Thornton, hit DaveCo and stock up. Sick prices there.
    Fightin' to save the motherfucking day...

you can also get a pure islay blend for an everyday drinker.
    blackbottle is my family's fav and Famous grouse makes a Black grouse that is all Islay, but I have only seen it sold in Euro land.
    Bowmore used to be a great Islay at a low price but the price has almost doubled in the past few years.

I love Highland Park as it has some peat but not the kck youmom in the face aneseptic peat & smoke.
    I picked up a litre of the 16 yer old @ duty free on my last trip to compliment my usual 12 i have @ home

Thanks...I will head over to Thorton and look at an Islay blend or some 10 yrs.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

For single malts in the Denver Metro area...
    Davidson's off of holly and county Line has the best prices that i have encountered...

Quote Originally Posted by rspacher View Post
    For single malts in the Denver Metro area...
    Davidson's off of holly and county Line has the best prices that i have encountered...
    Yeah, I have heard good things about Davidson's...it is just so far south for me (I live downtown), I wish there was a nice liquor store closer.

Mmmmmmmmm Highland Park

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Had a few snorts of this last night. Turns out it's the base for Cutty Sark and The Famous Grouse blended whiskies.

Well, tonight I went to the most wonderful place....Davidson's Liqour...$49.99 for 10 year Ardbeg...my new daily drink . Damn they have some good prices there and a great selection!

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Mmmmmmmmm Highland Park

I heart KQ
    shes real and shes fantastic

come by and have some 16

I'm such a scotch jong that I feel insignificant
    All I have is Dewars and Chivas. Might as well finish them and get an upgrade or 2.

Is JB scotch "shitty" I mean relatively compared to the above said single malts? I have been drinking that for the past few weeks. An ice cube and enjoy.

Enlighten me
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    Do you have one of those gay ass stickers on your car? If so, I'll bet money youre an uptight passive aggressive fucktard that hates anyone different than them, yet loves to pay lip service to 'tolerance'.

People with coexist stickers are ALMOST as bad as tele skiers, although there is some overlap.

I'm in same boat. We like what we've had, but we've had nothing yet.... me thinks.

A lot of blends are fuggin' fantastic. Keep some around for a good dram on the cheap. When you step up to a single malt, there's a ton of great suggestions here that would be nice intros. Dewars, JB and Chivas mostly take from Highland distilleries. If you like a smokey flavor go for Islay scotches. Like smooth and slightly sweet? Go Highlands. Start with the 12's and go older from time to time. Get a proper glass and enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    I was just about to buy another bottle of lagavulin 16 in the store yesterday when I saw a lagavulin 12 year that the store never carried before. The 16 year is $70 but the 12 year is $150.
    I just got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 yo for $60. I normally just drink beer but I do love that stuff and couldn't turn down that price.

My other favorite is Craganmore. Lagavulin in Fall/Winter. Craganmore in Spring/Summer.
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

I like the Ardbeg 10--very smoky--but my experience with others is limited.
    Very cheap at the duty free at Schipol airport.
    My cousin brought a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue label last time he came out to ski,amazing but no way I would pay that much myself.
    Just keep in mind the seven bottles of man: milk, apple juice, coke, beer, wine, single malt, prune juice. Let us know when you're ready for advice on prune juice.

Grabbed a liter of The Macallan Select Oak on the way through Duty Free in Cancun last week. It's damn good!

I found this interesting from here: http://www.singlemaltsdirect.com/page.php?open=faqs

FAQs for the Novice

What types of Scotch whisky are there?

There are four types of Scotch whisky; malt whisky, grain whisky, blended whisky and blended malt whisky. To be called Scotch whisky, each type has to be matured for a minimum of three years.

What is malt whisky?

Malt whisky is produced from 100% malted barley, which is then fermented with yeast and distilled in batches through a pot still.

What is grain whisky?

Grain whisky is made from a mix of mostly unmalted barley, wheat and maize. Grain whisky, unlike malt, is made in a continuous process and is generally produced for blending purposes.

What is blended whisky?

Blended whisky is mainly made from a combination of malt and grain whiskies. Blended whisky was developed to meet the demand for a softer, lighter palatable whisky for the consumer.

What is blended malt whisky?

Blended malt is now the adopted name for what is formerly known as vatted malt or pure malt. It is a mixture or blend of single malt whiskies. Confusing isn’t it? But that’s what the Scotch Whisky Association want this section to be known as.

What is single malt whisky?

A single malt whisky is a malt whisky produced from just one pot still distillery. It is possible for a single malt to come from a single distillery but with a mixture of batches from over the years.

What is single grain whisky?

A single grain whisky is a whisky produced from one patent still grain distillery.

What type of wood is whisky matured in?

Single malt whiskies are usually matured in American oak casks that have previously stored bourbon. The bourbon left in the wood gives the whisky its rich, golden colour and adds slightly to the flavour of the whisky. Spanish sherry butts are used also, this gives the whisky a full, fruity colour.

What is a region?

There are six whisky-producing regions in Scotland, each with different traits and styles. The Islay region is located on the island of Islay on the western isles of Scotland. The Speyside region is centred around the river Spey area, from which it takes its name, most producing distilleries are located. The Highland region is the largest of the regions and compromises of most of the Scottish mainland north of an imaginary line between the Forth and Loch Lomond. The Island region describes all of the Isles apart from Islay. The Lowland region compromises of the Scottish mainland south of the imaginary line between the Forth and Loch Lomond. The Campbeltown area consists of the most southern area of the west coast known as the Kintyre peninsula.

What is the specific taste of each region?

Speyside: Sweet, medium bodied, floral or big, rich fruity sherry.
    Islay: Big, powerful, very peaty, smoky, seaweed, medicinal.
    Highland: Coastal air, peaty in the north or soft, fruity in the south.
    Island: Soft, sweet, coastal air, seaweed, slightly peaty.
    Lowland: Light, delicate, full of character.
    Campbeltown: Rich, full-bodied, peaty.

What can I put in my malt?

Ice, water or cola can be put in a malt and each gives a different slant. But it depends on ones personal taste. Adding ice to a malt can make a refreshing drink but can impair your ability to fully appreciate the qualities of the malt. Adding water to a malt changes the composition and unlocks further flavours and aromas, preferably Scottish mineral water, most expert blenders in the industry use a little Scottish water to open up a whisky. Adding cola will bring out a pleasant flavour (sometimes not, if it’s a heavy pungent Islay) but will mask the delicate, subtler flavours.

What should I buy?

This is possibly the most difficult question to answer, as all palates are different.
    In general and in the opinion of most it is always better for the novice to start with a lighter more subtle whisky such as a Lowland or Speyside, though the parameters with Speyside’s are wide e.g. A heavily sherried Macallan differs considerably from a lighter sweeter Tamdhu. The lighter whisky being more delicate and not influenced by heavy sherry overtones will allow the drinker to taste the sweet, complex flavours. Experiment, buy a miniature bottle and try different regions and flavours until you find the whisky that you like the most. Remember to try with a little water to open up the flavour profile.