Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    I went to a whisky tasting that featured the Glenmorangie "Core Range" - all based on the 10yo "Original." They then spend extra time in Sherry pipes (Lasanta,) Ruby Port casks (Quinta Ruban,) or Sauternes casks (Nectar d'Or.)
    Curious, how much extra time?

Aberlour Abundah... meh... I hav a little every now an then thinking maybe I'll like it this time... but meh
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    ^^^consider adding a Glenmorangie to your highlands testing materials
    I did the distillery tour when I was last in Scotland...totally worth it if your nearby

Quote Originally Posted by telebobski View Post
    Curious, how much extra time?
    Their website doesn't say, oddly enough. Long enough to make a difference tho, so I'm guessing 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    One cool thing about scotch is that it doesn't seem unusual for people to maintain a few bottles, or a quiver if you will. You don't see that as much with American whiskey.
    Highly recommend quivers of both, also Rum and Tequila. Basically if it's brown you need multiple brands because they're all different.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Just got a bottle of the Bruichladdich Islay Barley. Peatless. Odd combo of the classic Islay bite but very slightly sweet. Different from the Caol Ila, Lagavulin.

One relative in Paisley with whom I stayed had an entire cabinet of different scotches and he always mixed in either a splash of water or a single ice cube, fwiw.
    I just opened this thread to ask if anyone had tried the Laddy Islay Barely. Might have to pick up a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I just opened this thread to ask if anyone had tried the Laddy Islay Barely. Might have to pick up a bottle.
    I haven't had that one. I usually overindulge.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Highly recommend quivers of both, also Rum and Tequila. Basically if it's brown you need multiple brands because they're all different.
    Well, I'm there.

Basically if it's brown you need multiple brands because they're all different.
    That's what she said.

I'm headed to a tasting at a friend's place on Saturday (this is a direct consequence of the thread where I asked about buying 40-year-old scotch). Our first purchase was a bottle of the Glenlivet 40 Dufftown release. Unfortunately, the cork had partially disintegrated, and on the trip from England, 1/3 of the bottle leaked out.

The only good thing is that the vendor (The Whisky Exchange, https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com) was totally cool about the whole thing, and promised to make it right. It was the last bottle they had of the Glenlivet, so they told us to pick out anything within "a couple hundred dollars" of what we'd originally ordered, and promised to rush ship it, and told us to keep the first bottle.

We tasted a bit of the Glenlivet 40 for our friend's birthday (when we tried to open the bottle, the cork fell apart even more, so we had to strain little cork bits out). It was pretty damned amazing, and didn't immediately seem any worse for wear.

Last week, the replacement bottle showed up, which is a 40-year Bunnahabhain that was actually distilled 40 years ago and bottled this spring - to be honest, that was the principal selection criteria, but it's supposed to be pretty good.

Whisky Exchange then refunded the difference in the two bottles, so that was pretty cool.

So, this weekend, we're going to a tasting of Glenlivet 12, 18, 21, 25, and 40, and the Bunnahabhain 40. I'm looking forward to it...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I haven't had that one. I usually overindulge.
    I thought you posted you tried it in the above quote, Bruichladdich Islay Barley? I'm not a big fan of peat.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    I thought you posted you tried it in the above quote, Bruichladdich Islay Barley? I'm not a big fan of peat.
    Read and post carefully or suffer the gently cheap barbs of the bored.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Mrs. Bushy stopped by the mancave this morning and dropped this off. Its her birthday. She is not a drinker, but she does have good taste.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Single Malt Scotch.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Mrs. Bushy stopped by the mancave this morning and dropped this off. Its her birthday. She is not a drinker, but she does have good taste.
    Let me get this right. It's your wife's birthday. She gets a 21 yr old glenlivet and delivers it to your man cave.

Sir, I salute you!

Last edited by irul&ublo; 08-22-2015 at 09:19 PM.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Single Malt Scotch.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I have a new favorite: The Balvenie 15 year old S.M. sherry cask.
    It took me a long time to find something that I enjoyed more than Laphroaig 18. But, it's cool. Now, I have a favorite Highlands and a favorite Islay. IMHO, the Balvenie 15 Sherry cask blows Maccallum 18 out of the water for 1/2 the price.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 10-26-2015 at 04:42 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

a nice threesome, for sure
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Need some new scotch. I love smoke/peat. I already have bottles of laphroaig, caol ila (my favorite), and lagavulin (too sweet). What else is on par with the smoke level of these 3 that I should try that is pretty easily obtainable?

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Need some new scotch. I love smoke/peat. I already have bottles of laphroaig, caol ila (my favorite), and lagavulin (too sweet). What else is on par with the smoke level of these 3 that I should try that is pretty easily obtainable?
    You might look at Port Charlotte. I was very impressed and I think it will fit right in with what your looking for. Not quite as peaty as Laphroaig but close and with a very balanced finish. I found it at a local bottle shop but I'm pretty sure I've seen it at Total Wine.

Name:  port-charlotte-peat-project.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  28.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Ardbeg ought to amuse you without breaking the bank. Kilchoman Loch Gorm is tits but a bit more spendy.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Never having tried this (I'm not big on peat) I'd still think something called The Big Peat would be worth checking out if you like that sort f thing:
    https://www.douglaslaing.com/brand-s...rands/big-peat

A review:
    http://whiskyadvocate.com/2013/12/17...y-of-the-year/

In their buying guide Whisky Advocate says this:
    Douglas Laing Big Peat Christmas 2013, 54.9% Price: $76.00
    Brand: Big Peat
    Category: Blended Malt Scotch whisky

Launched a few years ago with a Dr. Haddock-like cartoon figure on the label, Big Peat does just what it suggests it does…and then some. It's a mix of Islay peated malts and includes some Port Ellen, but don't get distracted by that. Instead, indulge yourself in the biggest, peatiest, oiliest, earthiest, grungiest, gunkiest slab of industrial malt this side of a leaky steam engine. This whisky just gets better and better.
    (Winter 2013) Reviewed by: Dominic Roskrow
    Boy, if I was into peat...

Just back from London. Stumbled on a nice Whisky Bar in SoHo, named Milroys. I tend toward the sweeter style of whisky. Tried an 18 YO Glenfiddich that was not too shabby. A Glenmorangie Signet that was pretty mellow. The best of the bunch for my tastebuds was a Speyside 15 YO, Glenfarglas. Easy drinking, smooth liquid gold, with a hint of peat. And if you find yourself in London, check that place out on 3 Greek street. Those dudes are awesome.

http://www.glenfarclas.co.uk/en/page...Years-Old.html
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Glenfarclas 15... one of my favorites. Can't remember if I posted on this one earlier in this thread- it's been around a long time...

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Just back from London. Stumbled on a nice Whisky Bar in SoHo, named Milroys. I tend toward the sweeter style of whisky. Tried an 18 YO Glenfiddich that was not too shabby. A Glenmorangie Signet that was pretty mellow. The best of the bunch for my tastebuds was a Speyside 15 YO, Glenfarglas. Easy drinking, smooth liquid gold, with a hint of peat. And if you find yourself in London, check that place out on 3 Greek street. Those dudes are awesome.

http://www.glenfarclas.co.uk/en/page...Years-Old.html
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glenfiddich 15 opened.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	534.8 KB 
ID:	199672
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glenfiddich 15.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	199673

Pick up a bottle yesterday and with a slow a steady pace I'll have most of it done by Sunday night or tonight.
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

seems a little fast, no?

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    seems a little fast, no?
    Yes
    I should save some for Monday evening
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure