Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    I'm a big fan of Lagavulin 16. Getting pretty pricy and hard to find though. I've been happy with Talisker Storm as a cheap, more everyday alternative. Has the smoke and salt but not the oil or medicine.

Try the Distillers Edition of the Lagavulin. It's a 16 year single malt aged in sherry casks. I actually like it more than the regular 16 yr.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Try the Distillers Edition of the Lagavulin. It's a 16 year single malt aged in sherry casks. I actually like it more than the regular 16 yr.
    stop it I can only get so erect

I'm such a sherried islay fanboi.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

I’ve tried a couple bottles, about ~15 years apart and never loved it. That’s the way I feel about all the DEs, so take that for what it’s worth.

I never regret a pour of the classic 16. It’s so good. We don’t see the 12 here but I expect to pick up a bottle this summer as I’m (hopefully) able to travel a little more.

If you visit Lagavulin distillery the warehouseman Ian McArthur (who is a legend) will let you sample something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	665736_10152273577870254_320694389_o.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	364682

The biggest Lagavulin fan of my friends even got baptised with it (by Ian).

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    If you visit Lagavulin distillery the warehouseman Ian McArthur (who is a legend) will let you sample something like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	665736_10152273577870254_320694389_o.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	180.0 KB 
ID:	364682

The biggest Lagavulin fan of my friends even got baptised with it (by Ian).
    good lord

and re: distiller's editions - usually if i like the distillery, i'll often like the distiller's edition. i'm a big fan of NAS whiskies though, which distiller's editions often are. i love talisker distiller's edition, one of my favorite pours of all time.

I haven’t made it to Islay yet. Hopefully in the next few years after COVID. I’ve visited Oban and Tobermory but whisky wasn’t the main focus of my time in Scotland (back then).

No argument with a good NAS. Corryvrecken, for example.

Re: the Abelour discussion above, I’ve since picked up the 16 and an A’bundah. While I’m an Islay fan at heart, these are good.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    I haven’t made it to Islay yet. Hopefully in the next few years after COVID. I’ve visited Oban and Tobermory but whisky wasn’t the main focus of my time in Scotland (back then).

No argument with a good NAS. Corryvrecken, for example.

Re: the Abelour discussion above, I’ve since picked up the 16 and an A’bundah. While I’m an Islay fan at heart, these are good.
    Agreed 100% on Corryvreckan. One of my favorite bottles of all time. Also agreed on wanting to go to Scotland/Islay.

Aberlour A'Bunadh CAN be out of this world, but I've had at least one release that tasted like nail polish. Also if you can find their non chill filtered 12year that's a real treat.

We have a group that has put together a Whiskey Advent Calendar the last 4 years. A friend organizes it, it's 24 guys that all put in $150 (was $100 the first year I think) and he pools that money and buys 25 bottles. We've all got small glass bottles he organized for the pouring, split up the bottles and get to try 25 different bottles for the price of one. He's put together some amazing lists. Not all single malts.

2020 List

Nikka Miyagikyo Single Malt
    Nikka Yoichi Single Malt
    Gooderham and Worts 11 Souls
    Central City Lohin and McKinnon Peated
    Pike Creek 21 yo Oloroso
    Kaiyo Peated
    Alberta Premium Cask Strength
    EH Taylor Straight Rye Bottled in Bond
    Jefferson's Ocean KWM Single Barrel
    Redbreast 15
    Kornog Olorosso
    Clonakilty Double Oak
    Ardbeg Wee Beastie
    Puni Sole
    Jack Wiebers Classic of Islay #3
    Bruichladdich Links XI
    Compass Box GKS Glasgow KWM Cask
    Kavalan Solist Port Cask
    Highland Park Twisted Tattoo
    Amrut Portonova
    Kilchoman PX Single Cask
    Kilkerran Heavily Peated Batch 2
    Compass Box No Name #2
    SMWS 73.114 Total eclipse of oloroso
    Bruichladdich Octomore 10.2

2019 List

Super Nikka
    The Koshi-No Shinobu
    Junenmyo Red Label Japanese Blend
    IW Harper Bourbon
    Iwai Tradition
    Shelter Point Rye KWM Cask
    Two Brewers Release 12 Peated
    Basil Haydens Dark Rye
    Caldera Hurricane 5
    Kilkerran Heavily Peated
    Powers Signature Reserve
    Kornog Roc'h Hir
    Compass Box The Spaniard
    Jack Daniels Single Barrel
    Arbeg Drum
    Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique
    Port Charlotte MRC:01
    Dingle Single Malt
    SMWS 10.161
    North Star Vega 1990 28Year Blended Malt
    SMWS 4.242
    Compass Box The Circle
    Glen Scotia 1999 KWM Cask No. 359
    Amrut KWM Jaggery Rum Cask 317 60%
    Bruichladdich Octomore 9.1

2018 List
    Russels reserve 10 year old
    Bernheim Kentucky Straight Wheat Whiskey
    CENTRAL CITY - LOHIN MCKINNON CHOCOLATE MALT WHISKY
    Bearface 7 year old triple oak
    Makers Mark 46
    Ridgemont 1792 Single Barrel
    Nikka From the Barrel
    Amrut Fusion
    Kavalan Sherry Soloist
    Nikka Coffey Malt
    Kornog Sauternes Cask Single Malt Whisky
    Jameson Black Barrel
    Bowmore No. 1
    Bushmills 10 year Black Bush
    Ledaig 10
    Red Breast 12 Year old
    Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 Year Second
    Old Pulteney 12
    Ardbeg Grooves
    Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or
    SMWS 53.244
    The Arran Amarone
    Lagavulin 12 year old Natural Cask
    Aberlour Abundah
    Bruichladdich Octomore 10 Second Edition

2017 List

Nikka Coffey Malt
    Suntory Hibiki
    Fallen Gravity Kentucky Bourbon
    Central City Lohin McKinnon Canada 150
    Shelter Point French Oak Double Barrel
    Century Distillers 20 year Ninety
    Knob Creek - Rye Small Batch
    Makers Mark 46
    Ridgemont Reserve 1792 8 year old
    Sazerac 6 year old
    Nomad - Outland
    Warenghem Armorik Classic Single Malt
    Midleton Green Spot
    Writers Tears Pot Still
    Penderyn - Single Malt Madeira Finish
    Glendronach Batch 5
    Dalmore 15
    BENRIACH - 10 YEAR OLD CURIOSITAS
    Glenfarclas 105
    Talisker 10
    Bruichladdich Cuvee 382 (21 year old)
    Bunnahabhain 12
    Laphroaig Quarter Cask
    Ardbeg An Oa
    Octomore 7.4

Some interesting standouts for me personally are the Amrut from India and Kornog from France, neither spots that come to mind for whiskey.

I’m no scotch expert. But I don’t recognize 80+% of what’s on your lists. I tip my glass at whoever is doing your research and purchasing!

My wife bought me one of those prepackaged scotch advent calendars when they first started hitting the market. It was a great gift but nothing at all comparable to what your group is putting together!

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I’m no scotch expert. But I don’t recognize 80+% of what’s on your lists. I tip my glass at whoever is doing your research and purchasing!

My wife bought me one of those prepackaged scotch advent calendars when they first started hitting the market. It was a great gift but nothing at all comparable to what your group is putting together!
    A lot of it isn’t Scotch. All whiskey/whisky though and certainly worth drinking.

So I am really becoming a fan of Famous Grouse Smokey Black. I just like it. It’s blended but oh well. It’s good.

Wife bought me a Bruechlacdichochodjjdich Islay Malt for Christmas. It’s good but not my jam.

I need to try Dalmore and duh Laga 16 is royalty.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Coffey Grain has been a benchmark in our household for a few years. Same with their gin.

I'm really enjoying The Dalmore 15 and recently finished a bottle the The Dalmore 12. I do wish they weren't proofed down to 40%, but they still have plenty of flavor.

Shirk if you need any more buyers you're welcome to take my money.

How's the Lagavulin 8? Considered it the other day but picked up Ardberg 10 instead.

Quote Originally Posted by cravenmorhead View Post

How's the Lagavulin 8? Considered it the other day but picked up Ardberg 10 instead.
    if you have a trader joe's next to you you should check out their $19 or $21 or whatever house islay called "finlaggan reserve". there is tons of speculation that it is either a 6 year Laguvulin or a young ardbeg:

https://scotchnoob.com/2011/09/26/fi...n-old-reserve/

whatever it is, it's good and cheap and nicely fills the role of "bar scotch".

You would be about 400th in line. I think we've had two people change in the 4 years so it's going to take awhile.

How we do the pour.

It's a brilliant idea, thankful for an engineering geek friend that's a whiskey lover and set's it all up and goes to crazy lengths to find and track down unique bottles.

You chose well, IMO. Lagavulin 8 is fine, but doesn’t jump out at me the way the 16 does (or the Ardbeg 10).

Our scotch prices here are insane and cost of shipping doesn't really make ordering online any better. I have given up and just started drink JW Black or even the red.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by evasive_MT View Post
    You chose well, IMO. Lagavulin 8 is fine, but doesn’t jump out at me the way the 16 does (or the Ardbeg 10).
    Agreed.
    "Let's be careful out there."

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    good lord

and re: distiller's editions - usually if i like the distillery, i'll often like the distiller's edition. i'm a big fan of NAS whiskies though, which distiller's editions often are. i love talisker distiller's edition, one of my favorite pours of all time.
    Same here on the Distiller's Edition. I like the Oban and Talisker's Distiller Edition. Of course the Talisker 10 and 18 ain't bad either.

Last time I had a scotch I found myself 20 miles from home with no idea as to how I got there. Haven't touched a drop of hard liquor since, and that was 10 years ago.

Now I'm good with beer and the occasional glass of wine. I will say I loved the smell and taste of it though.

got the gang together for a little photo op, thought I'd line 'em up youngest to oldest

pretty basic taste across a very narrow subsection of scotch, but I'm a big believer in playing homage to the classics before venturing out into more modern flavors

Over the last month or so I've been drinking a lot of Lagavulin 16 and of course Talisker 10 yr. and Storm since Talisker is my favorite distillery so this weekend when I poured myself some Oban 14 and got no peat flavor notes I knew I needed to change regions. When I stick to Islay and other peated whiskies for too long I often dull my pallet and need to expand my tasting range. So I drank Highland scotch this weekend and went with Glenmorangie and a nice 18 year Glenfiddich.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    got the gang together for a little photo op, thought I'd line 'em up youngest to oldest

pretty basic taste across a very narrow subsection of scotch, but I'm a big believer in playing homage to the classics before venturing out into more modern flavors

Nice collection! Add in Bruchladdich and maybe Ledaig / Oban and you’ve got the whole west coast covered (I think - I’m probably forgetting some)

Edit: forgot Bowmore

Over the last month or so I've been drinking a lot of Lagavulin 16 and of course Talisker 10 yr. and Storm since Talisker is my favorite distillery so this weekend when I poured myself some Oban 14 and got no peat flavor notes I knew I needed to change regions. When I stick to Islay and other peated whiskies for too long I often dull my pallet and need to expand my tasting range. So I drank Highland scotch this weekend and went with Glenmorangie and a nice 18 year Glenfiddich.
    I think that's 100% true. I drink bourbon, rye, Irish, and japanese whiskies to balance that, and then quite a bit of estate produced rum in addition (big fan of aged Bajans and Jamaicans). I just find that when it comes to spending top dollar ($80+) I'm way more interested in anything Islay than Highland or Speyside scotches - the latter share enough overlap with other families of whisk(e)y such that I can scratch that same itch with cheaper alternatives.

Glenfiddich 18 is amazing though.