Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Fav=Talisker 18 or Dalmore 21 (it's a toss-up)

Dalmore 12, probably my favorite 12 year-old at any price, if only It weren't such a bitch to find.
    Caol Ila 12/Macallan 12/Glenmorange 12/Glenlivet 12, all make their rounds in my liquor cabinet.

The current stock...
    Fightin' to save the motherfucking day...

Dude - drinks at your house next Feb.

my wife came back from England last week and brought me back some of this:

my new favorite!

"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly... "
    Last edited by Stymie; 10-24-2009 at 02:50 PM.
    "Go Balls Deep!"

Hugh Conway Guest
    Not single malt, but courtesy of a non-reclining airplane seat I now have a bottle of:

to impress brand conscious Asian businessmen

Total Scotch JONG here, but I was recently turned on to this same drink in the liquor store by a random person... Very yummy with just a splash of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Obstruction View Post
    A friend turned me on to some Aberlour A'Bundah Cask Strength a few nights ago. Very nice indeed.

If there was only Oban and Lagavulin I could be pretty happy - they are both wonderful and very different.

However, my go to "bang for the buck" is Aberlour (rhymes with flower) - usually pretty inexpensive, and quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by snoboy View Post
    Total Scotch JONG here, but I was recently turned on to this same drink in the liquor store by a random person... Very yummy with just a splash of water.
    Agreed!! I love this stuff. Recently snagged a bottle of the Macallan Cask Strength as well and it's very noice. While in PDX last month I tried a Glenmorangie 1971. Nearly fell off the barstool it was so good.

I usually go with Macallan 12, but tried Oban and Balvenie last week. Oban was really smooth going down. Glenmorangie is another favorite. Damn, this thread has a lot of good names and I'm definitely going to pour a glass tonight.
    Ελευθερία ή θάνατος
    "Great moments are born from great opportunity."

Quote Originally Posted by Stymie View Post
    my wife came back from England last week and brought me back some of this:

my new favorite!

"I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly... "
    I had a old friend living in London bring me some 25 yr old. That was really good...

Of course there might have been some self interest involved. We did drink 1/3 the bottle together.

It was a sad day when that bottle was emptied.

You all fail at scotch. 3 goddamned pages and not a single one of these...

Go have a jim beam and coke why don't you?

Bumping this thread for a great deal on Highland Park 18 year old Scotch at:
    http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResu...htype=Contains
    Get a bottle for the holidays and enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Bumping this thread for a great deal on Highland Park 18 year old Scotch at:
    http://www.astorwines.com/SearchResu...htype=Contains
    Get a bottle for the holidays and enjoy.
    That IS a decent deal right there. Get it if they deliver to your state. I asked Astor if they'd send to Utah in a plain brown box but they won't do it. Over the summer and fall I've added to the cabinet - Lagavulin 16, Glengoyne 17 (I really like this one), Glenfarclas 12 and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. About to finish off a few old bottle pretty soon so will be looking to stock again shortly. Keep 'em coming.

Quote Originally Posted by FartBag Commando View Post
    That IS a decent deal right there. Get it if they deliver to your state. I asked Astor if they'd send to Utah in a plain brown box but they won't do it. Over the summer and fall I've added to the cabinet - Lagavulin 16, Glengoyne 17 (I really like this one), Glenfarclas 12 and Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. About to finish off a few old bottle pretty soon so will be looking to stock again shortly. Keep 'em coming.
    FB, I can deliver in late January for a little floor space for a few days as staying with the great aunt in downtown SLC gets old.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    FB, I can deliver in late January for a little floor space for a few days as staying with the great aunt in downtown SLC gets old.
    You may have yourself a deal there amigo. Two guest bedrooms and plenty of couch/aerobed/floor space. Plus that's right around the annual Utar superbowl party....

single malt is great, but recently Ive been falling off my high horse of needing it to be a 'single malt' and just buying handles of Johnnie Walker Black for the same price as a 750ml bottle of the single malts I drink. Its all I really ever 'need', even though I have a small selection of 16ish year olds in the cabinet as well that I break out for special occasions.

I was just about to buy another bottle of lagavulin 16 in the store yesterday when I saw a lagavulin 12 year that the store never carried before. The 16 year is $70 but the 12 year is $150. I really don't know how that makes much sense but needless to say I passed on that bottle.

c-man

im with you sometimes
    i like the jw black....and gold

besides the lonesome 15yr glenmorangie, ive switched to kentucky for a little while
    really enjoying my 12yr pappy.

and the reason that 12yr you saw was way more expensive, was probably because it was a cask strength
    basically you should drink it with a healthy splash of water since its usually a much higher proof.
    its *almost* like getting twice as much scotch.
    well, not quite twice, but maybe 1.5x

Having just done a head-to-head with Highland Park 12yo and Bowmore "surf", I prefer the Bowmore. To my unrefined tastebuds, it's a much smoother sipper.

I will do another head-to-head to make sure.

I also barely recall really enjoying an Oban 12yo on Turkey Day, but the details compared to the others have been lost.
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

This is still my fav from a trip to Scotland about 9 years ago. I am waiting until next year to buy a bottle that will have been distilled during my trip. Edradour 10 year. Pretty standard Highland stuff. I am also a fan of Balvienne (sp?).
    Quote Originally Posted by RockBoy View Post
    The wife's not gonna be happy when she sees a few dollars missing from the savings and a note on the door that reads, "Gone to AK for the week. Remember to walk the dog."
    Quote Originally Posted by kannonbal View Post
    Damn it. You never get a powder day you didn't ski back. The one time you blow off a day, or a season, it will be the one time it is the miracle of all history. The indescribable flow, the irreplaceable nowness, the transcendental dance; blink and you miss it.
    Some people blink their whole lives.

I "sampled" some of the most ridonkulous drams of my life this past holiday weekend. My favorite was the Strathisla 1963. Sublime. The 1956 Glen Grant was not bad either. Thanks to my Dad's generosity and recent trip through Scotland I now have a 1966 Balblair and a 1988 Auchentoshan [Limited Edition Bordeaux Wine Finish] to hide in the back of the cabinet. Topped it all off with a trip to DaveCo where I found good deals on Aberlour 16 and The Balvenie 15 Single Barrel. Almost good to go for the winter. Skip the JW and go right for the Grouse if you want blended.

Aberlour is a nice spey malt, and I've tried both the 15 and 18 year. It's cheaper to buy in France than England though, and I've seen it out here in New Hampshire.

I did pick up a Glenfiddich Millennium Reserve in 2004, which was fantastic, and for £30 in Tesco - they were selling them off.
    Last edited by andylsun; 12-01-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: more

Found a bottle of Macallan 1958/1959 25 Year Old Anniversary Malt at my grand mother in law's over thanksgiving. Holy shit that was tasty.

I just had some sherrywood aged Glenmorangie.. Really tasty. I'm into the spicy/sweet sort of scotch flavor - the SW GlenM wasn't too peaty and had a really nice taste that didn't get old over 3-4 glasses...

not super expensive either - pretty sure my friend paid ~$50 for the 750.

That's pretty good stuff right there...
    I love the Glennmorangie Sherry wood finish...
    I had several of the madeira wood finish in the past...but for some reason I cant find it around here anymore...it was really good...
    I also really like the McCallan 12yr and McCallan cask strength, both aged in sherry wood barrels...

100% scotch JONG here, but this thread got me interested. Someone called the Dalwhinnie 15 y/o a pussy scotch in this thread or another one and I figured hey, I like pussy and I wanted to try scotch so what better place to start?

Anyway, four deep while doing some homework and I gotta say I've been missing out on some good drinking over the years. Now I just have to keep from going back to the liquor store to buy some others.