Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Colleges suck

I for one hate CU and can't stand it here in Boulder. But then again I am kinda old for a Sophomore, practically married and I don't party anymore. 6 years ago this would've been the shit

Quote Originally Posted by klauss View Post
    WA and OR mountains lack vertical, but make up for it in terrain IMO. .
    Rainier's summit to below the Nisqually Bridge is 10k+. Other steeper lines on the North side go bigger, but there are few who ski them.

U Washington / PNW is worth considering. The alpine environment has thoroughly altered my outlook on academia.

Thanks to all for the info regarding mines. I'll probably stick with UW especially because engineering isn't a lock for me and mines seems essentially strictly technical fields.

I know I'll love UW, just good to explore other options and hear opinions of those who have been to other schools.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    currently waiting to hear back from u of utah and msu. i'll hopefully find out within the next two weeks from either school.
    found out today that i got into utah and i'm pretty sure that i got into msu. so now i have to make the difficult decision of which school i'll be attending in the fall. i'd love some input from people who have attended either school or just live in slc or bozeman. here's a small list of things that i'm taking into consideration...

msu
    pros:
    bozeman isn't as crowded as slc
    good beer
    bars
    possibly cheaper to live off campus? (could be wrong on that one)

cons:
    not as many options for riding as utah
    women

utah
    pros:
    lots of awesome snow
    lots of options for resorts/touring
    easier to fly into
    slightly cheaper to attend

cons:
    mormon influence on liquor laws
    slc is crowded

i don't know anyone in either bozeman or utah, so either way i'll be in a new state with no friends at first.

adam is offline The Shred Pirate Roberts
    Are you an alcoholic? I don't see how the liquor laws are that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by crispy4505 View Post
    Kind of seems like you applied for reach schools and safety schools. Doesnt seem like there is any middle ground although Im not familiar with U Puget Sound.
    UPS is is a similar school to CC, same size, same style (besides the block system). CC has slightly more selective admission standards, but both have very good reputations

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    I can understand it to an extent. it is a place where kegs are wholly illegal. wasn't there an article is powder a while back about the undercover keg police?

though, liquor laws seem like only one level of the conservative culture in slc, though it seems very easy to escape that by getting involved in the outdoor community.
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness

Quote Originally Posted by adam View Post
    no bars in slc, no beer on sunday, have to go to a state liquor store in order to get actual beer. all of that just seems like it would get annoying. even my mom brought up the liquor laws to me when i told her i was applying to utah.

i'm not going to make my decision just based on the availability of beer, but it isn't a selling point for slc.

Quote Originally Posted by grubbers View Post
    found out today that i got into utah and i'm pretty sure that i got into msu. so now i have to make the difficult decision of which school i'll be attending in the fall. i'd love some input from people who have attended either school or just live in slc or bozeman. here's a small list of things that i'm taking into consideration...

msu
    pros:
    bozeman isn't as crowded as slc
    good beer
    bars
    possibly cheaper to live off campus? (could be wrong on that one)

cons:
    not as many options for riding as utah
    women

utah
    pros:
    lots of awesome snow
    lots of options for resorts/touring
    easier to fly into
    slightly cheaper to attend

cons:
    mormon influence on liquor laws
    slc is crowded

i don't know anyone in either bozeman or utah, so either way i'll be in a new state with no friends at first.
    The bar scene is lame in Bozeman and SLC, so that's a wash. Sure Utah gets lots of snow, but there are so many more people. The air pollution is pretty much ****ing disgusting in SLC 80% of the winter, and the culture is beat if you're not LDS. Unless you are incredibly lucky, Little Cottonwood Canyon gets worked by about 10AM on powder days. It is much easier to ski pow all day long at Bridger or Big Sky, two of the most underrated areas in the country. Bozeman is also colder and has better powder preservation in the backcountry. If it was 1982, and there was no tram at Big Sky or Schlasmans' lift at Bridger, I say go for Utah. But it's 2009.

I was picking universities last year and it was just as much of a challenge. Pretty quickly I decided that staying in Canada was very important to me and I had a relatively unique situation in that I was extremely likely to be accepted to anything I applied to.

Eventually I came to the realization that my university education will stay with me, will earn me money to ski in the future and hopefully (unless I'm drinking too much kool-aid) be the key to the lifestyle I want to live for my entire life. As such I decided to pick the school that was best for me from an educational stand point, ski when I got the chance but really focus on school for 4 years.

I've only had a dismal 5 days skiing this winter, although hopefully some more spring skiing in the next few months. A bummer, but I'm loving life, dean's listing it up and I know that I'll have the freedom (and the healthy knees) to ski once I'm making enough money to afford it.
    I belong to a cult that believes in wrecking leather jackets, dying themselves purple and demolishing 40 beer.

spent a long time trying to decide between puget sound, westminster and denver and i waited until the day before the national deadline,

but i finally decided to stay in denver
    ‎Preserving farness, nearness presences nearness in nearing that farness