Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Gaper
    I like how everyone gets all philisophical about skiing.

Reminds me of that terrible "Immersion" ski vid that someone here recommended. No need to get deeply philisophical, and pretend you are saving the world. I mean, as fun as it all is, it's still just skiing (flame away).

So Leo tried to kill himself and failed. That's as deep as it gets.
    I think regardless of where a lot of people stand on this issue, many will unite in opposition to what you just said. Poorly played.

Quote Originally Posted by alto
    I think regardless of where a lot of people stand on this issue, many will unite in opposition to what you just said.

Oh, I'm absolutely sure of it.
    More gauze pads, please hurry!

I
    ladies and gentlemen, we have # 30

Reminds me of that terrible "Immersion" ski vid that someone here recommended. No need to get deeply philisophical, and pretend you are saving the world. I mean, as fun as it all is, it's still just skiing (flame away).

sweet post!

Gaper, look at the threads around here lately. Charlie Gaylord, EJ, and of course so many others of our friends go down for this sport. Leo almost did too. How can you cut it short and just say "don't be so philosophical"!? I will participate in the debate about whether or not Leo should have tried this or not, but the angle you are coming from discounts the incredible dedication involved. Maybe he shouldn't have gone or maybe he knew what he was doing and made the right call. Either way, his life was on the line, and if there was ever a time for philosophy, religion, or watching Immersion, IMO a very good ski movie, this would be it.

He didn't try to kill himself. He just lived thru something that could have easily killed him.

There is a big difference. When you try to kill yourself and don't off yourself its a big let down. When you do something and think you might die doing it but you survive its the most incredible high.

I have never tried to commit suicide but I have done many things that coulda killed me and I did those things for a rush, not for glory, or money, and I didn't even care if anyone saw it or got it on film. I won't claim I didn't want someone watching because I like sharing intense moments with people but if I am confident in what I am going to do I will do it even if there are no witnesses.
    If you had a nickel for every nickel he has, you would have a lot of fuckin' nickels!

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy
    ladies and gentlemen, we have # 30

And on my 5th read-through I finally got what list you are referencing. Respond if you copy.

Gaper, look at the threads around here lately. Charlie Gaylord, EJ, and of course so many others of our friends go down for this sport. Leo almost did too. How can you cut it short and just say "don't be so philosophical"!? I will participate in the debate about whether or not Leo should have tried this or not, but the angle you are coming from discounts the incredible dedication involved. Maybe he shouldn't have gone or maybe he knew what he was doing and made the right call. Either way, his life was on the line, and if there was ever a time for philosophy, religion, or watching Immersion, IMO a very good ski movie, this would be it.
    I guess that's what happens when you take the fun out of skiing.

If by fun you mean weekend warrior, maybe you're right.

oh, the irony!

If by fun you mean weekend warrior, maybe you're right.
    Nope.

And on my 5th read-through I finally got what list you are referencing. Respond if you copy.
    Roger Wilco tall flyer.

Roger that: Relieved to hear it Whiskey Niner: Over.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor
    Unfortunately I did read all the posts and do understand this. However, IMO, it doesnt matter where you land. The height of a cliff is the height of a cliff. If you hit a 20 footer and I hit it at a different speed, it is still 20 feet. Did one of us go bigger? Absolutely, but it is still the same 20 foot cliff. And if you read the FIRST post in this thread, the guess was that the cliff was 290 feet AFTER THE HUCK HAD OCCURRED. So they were off by a little dont you think?
    I'm right, you're wrong.

There, I win.

There are tons of cliffs everywhere in this world. Why do idiots like this guy choose stupid cliffs like this? Convenience? Not a good reason to die for.

I'm glad this guy is ok, and I'm also glad he didn't make the record.

I think Jamie landed on his melon because he had more of a drop and plop cliff.

This Leo cat had to have so much forward momentum just to clear the granite below him, and that's what made him stay upright longer.

It was clear he wanted recognition by claiming the world record. Good luck next time buddy. And if there is a next time, try putting a little more thought into like Jamie did.

This it?

Yep. Thar she be.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens
    There are tons of cliffs everywhere in this world. Why do idiots like this guy choose stupid cliffs like this? Convenience? Not a good reason to die for.

This Leo cat had to have so much forward momentum just to clear the granite below him, and that's what made him stay upright longer.

It was clear he wanted recognition by claiming the world record. Good luck next time buddy. And if there is a next time, try putting a little more thought into like Jamie did.
    I never heard him log on this board claiming he needed recognition? Please excuse me if I am wrong but has anyone else here heard this cat Leo's voice around here? Sorry Blurred but I had to call you out on that one.
    If you had a nickel for every nickel he has, you would have a lot of fuckin' nickels!

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound
    This it?
    Just look at how much fun the lookers right of that photo is. That makes my pussy so wet.

wow, there is quite a lot to clear at the very top of the cliff, it must have been really tough to get a good idea of where to go and how fast (seems like he would have needed to go really fast to actually land it safely). Props for the balls and still being on this earth, i'm sure he's gonna think twice about how that turned out, but as the previous posts said as long as he's conscious about his acts and the risks, he only can know judge whether it was a good idea or not. I still think endangering your life to such an extent is literally playing Russian Roulette.

Quote Originally Posted by parkwest
    I saw the Paul Ruff huck right after it happened and one phrase came to my mind. In "Blizzard of Ahhs" some may recall the words of Paul Ruff before his huck..."Remember, dyin' is no way of makin' a living."
    It may have also been in a WM film, but Josie Wales said it first. I think he said "ain't" rather than "is".

Quote Originally Posted by Professor
    Unfortunately I did read all the posts and do understand this. However, IMO, it doesnt matter where you land. The height of a cliff is the height of a cliff. If you hit a 20 footer and I hit it at a different speed, it is still 20 feet. Did one of us go bigger? Absolutely, but it is still the same 20 foot cliff. And if you read the FIRST post in this thread, the guess was that the cliff was 290 feet AFTER THE HUCK HAD OCCURRED. So they were off by a little dont you think?
    Apparently in this case it does matter where the LZ is, because if he had landed along his intended flight path he would have made a big mess.
    From takeoff to intended LZ could be close to the 290' mark, but takeoff to actual LZ was measured out at 230' (even though it still looks smaller to you ).
    If he had hit his intended LZ, would you still say it was only a 230' cliff (or smaller?) since he could have landed on snow farther up?
    I wonder if JP's cliff face was 245' or was it his flight path? It's sort of like measuring waves from the back when it's the face that counts...2' Teahupoo from the back equals fucking ginormous faces...
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

read the thread.

jesus christ leo. i didn't think you were going for it man. props, please make sure you'll make the LZ next time dude. wow, i seriously did NOT see this thread coming and i was kind fo scared too, good to knwo you're ok dude. i know you're gona.....so fuckgin huck it dude, get it.
    -TIMMAY
    Last edited by lax; 03-28-2006 at 08:26 PM.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96

Quote Originally Posted by lax
    read the thread.
    Dude. Jamie looked at his cliff I think for 7 years.

Your boy looked at his for a "couple of weeks".

Your boy almost died because his calculations were off. But go ahead and give him props, maybe he'll go try it again.

Dude. Jamie looked at his cliff I think for 7 years.

Your boy looked at his for a "couple of weeks".

Your boy almost died because his calculations were off. But go ahead and give him props, maybe he'll go try it again.
    all season.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=932&dateline=12042516  96