Alcohol and knee pain?

Curious as to a weird phenomenon that happens to me, and others apparently....

After a hard day skiing, if I go out drinking (somewhat heavily ) I'll wake up with a hangover and sore knees. Not pain really, but discomfort/soreness. I've never had any knee problems, but they definitely take some abuse. Only discomfort I ever experience is when I have a hangover.....

Anyone care to shed some light on this?
    Drive slow, homie.

Definitely old age.

Z, not only you. there was a study released last year which connected drinking hard liquor with joint pain.

i can't find the study on google, instead found one that connected obesity with joint pains oh well, i'm sure there's a study linking everything to everything. i do remember reading the news about the study on bbc's website though.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Do you ever go and dance when your drunk? No real connection, just wondering.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

I've experienced the same thing and now after an ACL repair it happens without skiing and with very little drinking. I always just assumed that when you drink you are dehydrating and therefore it affects the fluids in your joints. I have no idea if that's actually why though.

Quote Originally Posted by L7
    Do you ever go and dance when your drunk? No real connection, just wondering.

Good point. Cause I get mad knee pain after skiing if I work (at GAP, standing for 6 or so hours) or to the bar (dancing, not necessarily drinking.)

My patella femural syndrome acts up if I'm too active after a hard day on skis, it's where my knee cap rubs against the tendon underneath it and my knees go all red and blotchy and get really hot. Maybe alcohol just accentuates the symptoms?
    Believe.

It's just a sign of age, Z. Welcome to the old-folks world
    -
    14erskiers.com

"Don't be afraid of the spaces between your dreams and reality. If you can dream it, you can make it so." - Belva Davis

"There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle"--Albert Einstein

i dont know but maybe since alcohol thins the blood there is increased blood flow which, after a hard days skiing and beating up on your knees, leads to inflammation and breaks down fibron clot that may form after beating up on the knees all day (kind of like treating inflammation with heat??)

calling Vin??
    Mom! The meatloaf! FUCK!.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    Quote Originally Posted by bigtrubs
    Maybe alcohol just accentuates the symptoms?
    If the symptoms are dancing until you get sex!

Just kidding, I'm sure alcohol could have an effect but I think it has more to do with what alcohol causes you to do not what it does to you. I'm sure highway star would wake up wondering why his asshole hurt every morning after he drank a lot and that would happen before the morning dump.
    It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Apparently alcohol can also irritate nerve endings, and I guess if you've already got an injury or tired legs, then too much drink afterwards is going to make matters worse.

I know my legs hurt sometimes when I'm really, really hungover...

Its probably all that furious masturbation. How's your eyesight?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by Z
    After a hard day skiing, if I go out drinking (somewhat heavily ) I'll wake up with a hangover and sore knees. Not pain really, but discomfort/soreness.
    Anyone care to shed some light on this?
    try wearing knee pads when you are "earning" those drinks....

Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy
    try wearing knee pads when you are "earning" those drinks....
    Did it work for you?

damn straight, got me a room in Jackson Hole too.....

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by irul&ublo
    Its probably all that furious masturbation. How's your eyesight?
    My eyesight is not so good.....

But neither is your wife's, and that worked out pretty well for you, eh?
    Drive slow, homie.

I'm putting your theory to test. I skied pretty hard with the kids today, at Jackson Hole, and am now at home where the second Sam Adams is slipping down the gullet a little too smoothly.

I'm no expert, but whatever that spot is just below my knee cap is, hurts more if I've had a few cold ones. I don't drink hard stuff (any more), but do enjoy wines and beer...

I'll let you know how my knees feel in the morning. I'll probably have one more brew tonight.

BTW- today was a great day!!!!!!!! 8" of new, blue bird skies, my 100th day of the season, and the kids (9, girl- 78 days skiing this year & 7, boy- 86 days days skiing this year) skied tower three for the nth time & skied Alta 1 for the first time!

Great Day...

I'll let you know how I feel in the morning.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

psychosomatic???

I've had four beers, a large bowl of spagetti and my knees hurt right under the kneecap, kinda where i guessed they would hurt.

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

0800 MST- my knees feel great.

Mark Twain

I'm no doc, but alcohol causes your tissues dilate and swell, which, if you have an underlying problem (like PFS) or a nagging muscle or swollen joint, will most likely increase swelling and subsequently increase the pain.

I noted this from close study of when I tore my acchilles years ago, had nothing to do, and drank a lot - my leg would actually swell in the cast.
    "A local is just a dirtbag who can't get his shit together enough to travel."

- Owl Chapman

This has been an issue for me since I've been about 15.
    I try to eat a banana. It really helps.
    Carrots are good for your vision, if you find yourself going blind...
    I just hope there isn't TOO much powder.