Concussion Question

Medical Mags,

So I'm just wondering what the true recovery time for a concussion is. I recently got knocked out, and at the hospital they told me to wait an entire year before doing anything where I might hit my head again. This seems rediculously overkill to me, like they are trying to protect themselves against lawsuits time a million.

For a moderate concussion, where you have been knocked out for just a couple minutes, no fractures or anything like that, how long do you really need to wait?

I'd like to be able to ski something other than groomers by the end of this season.

Thanks.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I think I was probably only out for 30 seconds or a minute, but was definitly unconsious, not just a little hazy. The couple days afterwards I felt a bit dizzy and nauseous at times, but I never had any of the combativeness or anything like that.You're definitly saying that the one year guidline is complete bs though right? Is a month about all you need to be safe?
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

By being rendered unconscious you have definitly experienced at least a grade 2 concussion. And in general if this is your first concussion a 2-4 week time period should be enough after your symptoms have totally gone away. But if you have had more than 1 concussion that time needs to be extended.

I'm guessing you were seen in the er for this injury. You might want to follow up with your family doc and/or a neurologist to get a better handle on when you can return to activity.
    fighting gravity on a daily basis

WhiteRoom Skis
    Handcrafted in Northern Vermont
    www.whiteroomcustomskis.com

if you dont wear a helmet, get one.
    if you do wear a helmet, get a new one. most are only good for one hard hit. many companies, (giro for sure) have replacement programs where they will sell you one pretty cheap once you ding the old one hard.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Ben Franklin

Thanks for the info guys, exactly what I wanted to know. I am constantly amazed at how much the place rocks, pretty much the best source for bullshit free info on almost anything.

Oh, fez, yea, I'm definitly getting a new helmet, the facegaurd on my giro mad max is crumpled. Oh yea baby, I'm core.

I've had 4, but I've never been knocked out. They say once you have your first, subsequent concussions come easier.

I agree. I've experienced minor symptoms on many occasions.

It would probably be a good time to take care of the nug!
    I just hope there isn't TOO much powder.