Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    See you Kooks out there tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    Thanks for sharing that. And thanks for bumping this thread. Good read. I knew nothing about any of this. Place looks incredible.
    put it on your list and make it happen. best inbound skiing in Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Braun View Post
    https://www.aspenjournalism.org/2018...he-snow-beast/

another great article on the Highland Bowl tradegy.
    Yes, very good write up, I see an error in it though, Soddy had been patrolling at Highlands much longer than 3 years. More like 6, he and I started about the same time and when I left in 82 we each had 4 years.

That write up seemed to answer one glaring question I've had since the slide...why were they all 3 out in the middle of the bowl at the same time throwing charges? My time at avalanche school taught me better, it appears they were using that home made sling shot which required 3 persons to operate. I would hardly call that sling shot the "ultimate weapon", any time the idea came up of doing avalanche control in Highlands bowl came up around me, I always said we would need a howitzer to properly do it.
    Dale (AKA Downhill Dale, Professor Flake)

I spent a week at Highlands several years back and recall hiking the bowl, of course with great results, but also finding really great lines lapping Deep Temerity.

It was during the "Snow-pocalypse" almost didn't make it through the airports from NY, ended up leaving a day early to get down to northcarolina, then flying into denver and eagle the following day. I recall it being like -10 in Denver! A degree of Cold that our crew was prepared for, and then it began to snow, light, dry and bountiful all week, never saw the sun. yeah, it was pretty fantastic actually!

The patrol there is world class, great reads in this post...really made me appreciate the hard work that all patrol provides us!