Page 50 of 85 FirstFirst ... 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 1,226 to 1,250 of 2111
    Yup, that was a good laugh
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I watched a piece on TV about a lab at Harvard that is working on extending life by replacing worn out genes with new copies. It works in rats. They're about to start clinical trials on dogs. AFAIC if it works in dogs they can stop right there. We don't need people to live longer. (We don't need rats to live any longer either.)

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I watched a piece on TV about a lab at Harvard that is working on extending life by replacing worn out genes with new copies. It works in rats. They're about to start clinical trials on dogs. AFAIC if it works in dogs they can stop right there. We don't need people to live longer. (We don't need rats to live any longer either.)
    Man, imagine if you could have a dog that would live 20-30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOODSWEATSTEEL View Post
    From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or "That's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed when my only company was "just a dog", but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog", then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend", "just a sunrise", or "just a promise".

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand >that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog," just smile, because they "just don't understand."

... appears it is time again to bump BSS' 0P, Just to remember ( his thread is a Celebration of the Joy and the Happiness we get from Good dogs...

... Some Great tributes Here ! !!!

Now - back to the Action...

" You tell 'em, 'Blue' ! !! " tj

It's just a dog.

It’s been just over a yr for me. At first I was so busy with life I did not realize the impact the loss had on me. Being divorced, living alone, was not good. It’s just a dog, right? Wrong. I seriously had a melt down when things slowed down this time last yr. Being responsible for another life, a companion that is always dependent on you, really gives you purpose and pleasure.

It was so bad, I’ve been afraid to get another dog. I’ve thought about all those times even other dog owners could not understand the bond I had with Kip., and maybe I don’t need to do that to myself again.

Last Friday I had a business appt with a woman who revealed she was a breeder and had some pups left. I’ve got a few weeks before I know about a job opportunity, but I may be ready to take the leep again if it falls through.

I’ve been taking my kids dog out to get back into the swing of things.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2793.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.26 MB 
ID:	305405

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Cono Este; 12-09-2019 at 06:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    friends of ours have a 50 year old parrot. That old thing is very cranky, like most old people.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Would have loved to have gotten more years out my hounds. Dog life expectancy is tragically short.

Loki is 15; nearing the end of the line. All things must pass.

Bacon Day is on the horizon, goddammit.

Name:	IMG_1632.JPG 
Views:	59 
Size:	493.8 KB 
ID:	305568

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    friends of ours have a 50 year old parrot. That old thing is very cranky, like most old people.
    OMG. I can just imagine how it comes accross in it's voice. Hilarious if you don't have to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post

Vibes.

Loki looks like he's one of the best dogs.

Edit: she.
    Last edited by PNWbrit; 12-10-2019 at 11:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Oh, she is a total sweetheart. Pure love.

Name:	IMG_1538.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	305577

Oh, she is a total sweetheart. Pure love.
    I heart the OT's!
    I'll bet she's a total sweetheart.

FC, best to Loki...she's a good girl

It pains me to make this post, but just wanted to share a bit of the great life of my little buddy who left us on Monday evening. Maddie (a super fit German Shorthaired Pointer/Lab mutt) was already a few years old when I met my wife and I was glad to get nearly a decade with her. She was 13 when she died, so definitely lived a good and VERY full, active life.

Here she is as a pup:

Name:	Maddie 21.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	311924

We had fun skiing Red Lodge together after the mountain closed. Here she is hauling balls down the mountain chasing my wife:
    Name:  IMG_0512.JPG
Views: 375
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0488.JPG
Views: 380
Size:  20.3 KB

We lived in Lewistown for a while, where she LOVED her daily swims in the Big Spring Creek:

Name:	IMG_0563.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.41 MB 
ID:	311927

Name:	IMG_0561.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	1.54 MB 
ID:	311928

At Crystal Lake, MT:

Name:	IMG_0525.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	311929

Then living in Big Sky afforded her the best life a dog could EVER ask for with many, many, many hikes:

Name:	IMG_0708.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	646.3 KB 
ID:	311930

When we had our children, she became a wonderful nanny dog (there's that lab for ya), who guarded our newborns like a hawk:

Name:	DSC00492.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	938.1 KB 
ID:	311931

Bud sadly for the old girl who wanted nothing more than to have children around, she was elderly by the time we had them. She LOVED kids and would always freak out when any children were around. She started to become a bit more stoic and aloof than she used to be. Here she is looking pensive out our back door which overlooked a beautiful mountain ridge:

Name:	DSC00003.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	994.5 KB 
ID:	311932

She had been going downhill for nearly a year now, but lately her hip dysplasia really caught up to her and she couldn't get up on her own or lay down. We took her to the vet to get a wellness check and they informed us that her time was getting near. We took her home and I ran to the grocery store to buy her a big juicy steak. Have been really pampering her these last couple of weeks with lots of yummy treats, cuddles, and all the table scraps she'd always begged for but never got until now.

Name:	IMG_20200103_140443.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	2.31 MB 
ID:	311936

Name:	IMG_20200103_141117.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.86 MB 
ID:	311937

After a rough weekend where it was clear she was suffering, we knew it was time. It was tough for us to accept, as she was a tough old thing and NEVER wanted to indicate pain in front of our other dog who was really starting to try and assert herself and take over as alpha, so she never cried, whimpered, barked, or anything. Took it all in stride like the tough little badass she was. I went to the store on Monday to buy her more steak and a big slab of bacon for her which I cooked up an hour before she died. Her final meal:

Name:	IMG_20200120_161438.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	311938

Lastly, here's some dock diving stoke from Flathead Lake. Man that dog was athletic:

When we took her to the vet, I carried her in since she could barely walk. We laid down her favorite big blanket for her, and she curled up and put her head on my lap. She seemed very much at peace for the first time in a while. After she went to sleep, I bawled like a little baby (which I wasn't expecting since I never do, we wrapped her up in the blanket, and took her to some land my sister lives on where we got to bury her by an old oak tree. We gave her a nice little funeral, all said a few words about our favorite memories with her, the kids gave her one final pat on the head, and all participated in shoveling the dirt. It really was beautiful and a good send off for a rad dog who brought our little family a ton of joy.

You'll be missed, ol' girl. Thanks for the great journey we've had together.

Sorry for your loss.

Just came across this, a good read for anyone with animals: https://melnewton.com/2019/the-good-death/
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Sorry for you loss.

I still miss my boy every day. He would have been 12 last Saturday. RIP

Sorry for loss Austin, but sounds like she like she had a great life and certainly enhanced yours. Still doesn't make it any easier, tho.

Thanks for sharing some of her fun times and reminding us to enjoy our short time together. RIP to your amazing girl.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

She sounds like she was one of the best dogs Austin.

Thanks for sharing her story

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Name:	2011-09-24_14-53-12_86_Original.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	936.3 KB 
ID:	311966

Took from Monday to today to get a diagnosis of Histiocytic Sarcoma for Hook. That’s not good. Tomorrow morning he goes in to see how far it has spread. Been tough around here the past couple days. The only one who seems fine with it all is Hook.
    Last edited by iceman; 01-22-2020 at 08:43 PM.

God speed Maddie. Sounds like you gave her a magnificent life.

goddamnit I hate this thread.

my sympathies to everyone.

Ice, sorry to hear about Hook. Hope it’s localized and you can get some more time with him.

However many are in a shit ton.

I am sorry for your loss Austin.
    That was a touching tribute, it's clear Maddie had a great life with you.
    RIP Maddie.

:::

Ice, sorry to hear that about Hook.

[/heavy sigh]

Hang in there Hook.