Page 67 of 85 FirstFirst ... 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,675 of 2111
    Awesome stories. I don’t know whether to laugh or cry.

So so sorry for all you guys….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BLOODSWEATSTEEL View Post
    From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or "That's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed when my only company was "just a dog", but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog", then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend", "just a sunrise", or "just a promise".

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand >that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog," just smile, because they "just don't understand."
    ^bump^

one of my top5 all-time essays.

There are some awesome tributes in the pages of this thread -

Thanks, maggs... skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Harry was over having dinner at my place once when she inhaled an entire rack of ribs right off the stove.
    I remember that !

Your wife’s grandmother from the olde country turned to me and said “Harold, zeee Weimaraner is zeee stupidest of zeee German breeds.”

RIP

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Sorry to hear MontuckyFried. Good girl Scarlett, now you can have all the ribs you've ever wanted.
    Haha. That's right. Still couldn't believe she did that. Not only was it a full rack (maybe like 4 lbs worth), but it was also scalding hot. We just got done broiling the sauce on the top to get it crispy and beautiful, so were just letting it cool for a minute. Was straight out of the oven. Dog must've had some crazy pain tolerance. Did not care. GULP!

She also couldn't resist that Dave's Killer Bread. That stuff is pretty dense and any time we'd bring it home, she'd fish it out of the pantry and inhale the entire loaf in a split second. I still don't know how that's physically possible. We installed child locks on the pantry door. She figured those out too. Haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I remember that !

Your wife’s grandmother from the olde country turned to me and said “Harold, zeee Weimaraner is zeee stupidest of zeee German breeds.”

RIP

Oh yeah! I remember that. Funny thing is I've learned that they just act dopey, plus they're really stubborn and headstrong, so people think they're stupid. I learned however that they're actually pretty smart. If they want to steal food, they WILL figure out how to get to it, but they're also smart enough to wait until you leave the room (or the house) to attempt the heist. They're amazing problem solvers, which is also why they get themselves into so much trouble if not intensely exercised daily. Glad you got to witness some of the hilarity. Well, hilarious looking back on it. I def wasn't stoked at the time. Wife said she was a very challenging puppy too. Not for rookies, that's for sure. On the plus side, she was not a piddler or a chewer. Never had any accidents and was all around a great dog in the house, food thievery and kitty litterbox raids aside.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Cat turds is treats.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    Cat turds is treats.
    For real. Always cracked me up seeing her wet nose plastered with litter. Licking her chops. Dat Kitty Roca is just irresistible to them.

The worst tho was how they also loved to eat (and roll in) pig crap. SO foul smelling. My neighbor had a pet pig that would hang out in our yard grazing. Friendly animal so we didn't mind, but just annoying how much our dogs loved its poop so much.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Thanks, skiJ. Appreciate that.
    Thanks. For sure. She had it pretty good for the breed. Not gonna lie though. I don't know if I could do it again now that I'm getting older, have kids, etc. That dog took an INSANE amount of exercise to be content. She sure kept US in shape trying to keep her needs met tho. Haha. TGR Forums mobile app
    I gained like 10 pounds after my dog tore her CCL and eventually passed. She was an energetic creature, so every morning rain, shine, snow, 0 degrees, etc. I was outside jogging or biking with her so she wouldn't be a wild creature all day. Then when I came home, it was another long walk. It was sometimes annoying, but great for me both physically and mentally.

I'm also not sure if I want another dog right now, though. Well, I know I don't right now as we currently live in the desert and it's just too hot for dogs much of the summer and so it would have to be cooped up. Plus we now fly to see both sets of parents. But if I moved back to a place that was within driving distance of my parents and had woods where the dog could run, I would probably get another crazy creature.

It's just a dog.

I just got another crazy creature.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7989.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	418377

At 64 he may be my last large dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post

At 64 he may be my last large
    Oh wow! Great looking pup! Is that a Vizsla?

Yes, related to Wiem/GSP.

He's a beautiful pup. I love vizslas. I think they're some of the best looking dogs out there and most I've known have been really nice (if a bit high strung).

Congrats! Now THAT'S a dog that can more than keep up on the trail. I've seen some absolutely FLY down the singletrack. Incredible speed and can go hard all day. Those guys rip in deep snow too. Perfect for mountain life. Enjoy!

Those jowls.

Those jowls.
    That’s kind of mean. His Jowls aren’t that big.
    At least try a joke about his shredded head.

I hate this thread. But it’s so cool to see new dog stoke.

Congrats shredhead. Good luck keeping up with him. Very cool breed.

So fun, I love these dogs!!
    Congratulations on your new buddy!
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Those jowls.
    that's not nice to say to shredhead

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    I remember that !

RIP
    My coworker at my old job had a couple male Weimaraners. They had so much energy and loved humping everything, so he called them Weiner Rammers instead

Fuck. My wife came home from her morning walk with our dog crying so hard she couldn't talk. When she calmed down enough to tell me what happened, she said our dog barked at another dog in its front yard across the street, it ran over to give our dog a piece of its mind, and was hit by a car and killed. The motorist didn't stop.

Apparently the other dog had slipped out the front door when its owner was taking the garbage out: the owner was right there and saw the whole thing. My wife said he didn't say anything, just walked over and picked up his dog's body. She asked if there was anything she could do and he didn't respond (understandably).

We feel so fucking horrible about this. Not really our fault, but it wouldn't have happened if our dog wasn't there. And our dog, though she's finally gotten to where she's affectionate with us and well-behaved at home, is a mess outside the house. She tries to start shit every time she sees another dog. There's a part of me that feels like this is a little on us because maybe our dog shouldn't be walking the streets, maybe we should just be doing laps around school yards after hours, or taking her to quiet trails.

Fuck. That sucks. Vibes.

Man. That’s awful D. Don’t put that on yourselves. At the end of the day an owner is responsible for keeping their dog safe and secure. Just a shitty situation all around, and an accident.

No, dan - NOT on you.

a loose dog - The owner's First responsibility with a loose dog - especially in an urban environment - is Safety
    ( in this way, a dog IS child-like ) ;

dogs interact by barking.
    the unrestrained dog sought contact /
    The owner is responsible for his unrestrained dog.

traumatic for your wife, And I am Sad for your wife.
    And this was Not your responsibilty.

this was Not your responsibility. tj

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Man. That’s awful D. Don’t put that on yourselves. At the end of the day an owner is responsible for keeping their dog safe and secure. Just a shitty situation all around, and an accident.
    100%. Thank you. tj

The car didn't stop? I hope that POS burns into eternity

There is an definite resemblance…

It's just a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    The car didn't stop? I hope that POS burns into eternity
    Hate to say it, but in armed America where everyone is packing, stopping might get you shot by the bereaved gun owner. It’s certainly not the car owners fault.

edit to add: I love dogs, and cats. Stopping the car is the right thing to do, and the law in some states. But given the out of control gun violence in our country IMHO stopping is a tough call. Sad by product of our culture.

"Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters