Page 51 of 85 FirstFirst ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 2111
    Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    Ice, sorry to hear about Hook. Hope it’s localized and you can get some more time with him.
    Thanks. It's pretty well spread. Started him on chemo and prednisone today. Maybe 9-10 months at the outside the vet says, but substantially less with no treatment. Right now he's himself so we're just gonna take it as it comes but we're not gonna let him suffer.

Ava gone unexpectedly last spring. Lily is 15 and spry but at 15, it can't be too long. And now Hook. Feels like the last days of the pack around here, poor little Bode's not gonna know what to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    goddamnit I hate this thread.

my sympathies to everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by ACH View Post
    I am sorry for your loss Austin.
    That was a touching tribute, it's clear Maddie had a great life with you.
    RIP Maddie.

:::

Ice, sorry to hear that about Hook.

[/heavy sigh]
    My sentiments exactly.

Very sorry for your loss Austin.

Hope you have many many more days with Hook, Ice.
    I still call it The Jake.

^x2

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    It pains me to make this post, but just wanted to share a bit of the great life of my little buddy who left us on Monday evening. Maddie (a super fit German Shorthaired Pointer/Lab mutt) was already a few years old when I met my wife and I was glad to get nearly a decade with her. She was 13 when she died, so definitely lived a good and VERY full, active life.

Here she is as a pup:
    Attachment 311924

We had fun skiing Red Lodge together after the mountain closed. Here she is hauling balls down the mountain chasing my wife:
    Attachment 311925

Attachment 311926

We lived in Lewistown for a while, where she LOVED her daily swims in the Big Spring Creek:
    Attachment 311927

Attachment 311928

At Crystal Lake, MT:
    Attachment 311929

Then living in Big Sky afforded her the best life a dog could EVER ask for with many, many, many hikes:
    Attachment 311930

When we had our children, she became a wonderful nanny dog (there's that lab for ya), who guarded our newborns like a hawk:
    Attachment 311931

Bud sadly for the old girl who wanted nothing more than to have children around, she was elderly by the time we had them. She LOVED kids and would always freak out when any children were around. She started to become a bit more stoic and aloof than she used to be. Here she is looking pensive out our back door which overlooked a beautiful mountain ridge:
    Attachment 311932

She had been going downhill for nearly a year now, but lately her hip dysplasia really caught up to her and she couldn't get up on her own or lay down. We took her to the vet to get a wellness check and they informed us that her time was getting near. We took her home and I ran to the grocery store to buy her a big juicy steak. Have been really pampering her these last couple of weeks with lots of yummy treats, cuddles, and all the table scraps she'd always begged for but never got until now.
    Attachment 311936
    Attachment 311937

After a rough weekend where it was clear she was suffering, we knew it was time. It was tough for us to accept, as she was a tough old thing and NEVER wanted to indicate pain in front of our other dog who was really starting to try and assert herself and take over as alpha, so she never cried, whimpered, barked, or anything. Took it all in stride like the tough little badass she was. I went to the store on Monday to buy her more steak and a big slab of bacon for her which I cooked up an hour before she died. Her final meal:
    Attachment 311938

Lastly, here's some dock diving stoke from Flathead Lake. Man that dog was athletic:

When we took her to the vet, I carried her in since she could barely walk. We laid down her favorite big blanket for her, and she curled up and put her head on my lap. She seemed very much at peace for the first time in a while. After she went to sleep, I bawled like a little baby (which I wasn't expecting since I never do, we wrapped her up in the blanket, and took her to some land my sister lives on where we got to bury her by an old oak tree. We gave her a nice little funeral, all said a few words about our favorite memories with her, the kids gave her one final pat on the head, and all participated in shoveling the dirt. It really was beautiful and a good send off for a rad dog who brought our little family a ton of joy.

You'll be missed, ol' girl. Thanks for the great journey we've had together.

Great tribute - Thank you...

Condolences... tj

Many thanks to all for the kind words and condolences. It really has helped a ton to share a bit about and celebrate her life with you all. It was good for me to look back over my pictures (I have hundreds more) to help me remember just how good of a life we had together. You guys are the best!

Happy trails, ya old mutt. You were quite the mountain dog:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20171011_172714.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	312017

And sorry about Hook, iceman. That's the toughest thing about having these furry companions, but I suppose what we gain from them makes it all worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Many thanks to all for the kind words and condolences. It really has helped a ton to share a bit about and celebrate her life with you all. It was good for me to look back over my pictures (I have hundreds more) to help me remember just how good of a life we had together. You guys are the best!

Happy trails, ya old mutt. You were quite the mountain dog:

Name:	IMG_20171011_172714.jpg 
Size:	2.43 MB 
ID:	312017

And sorry about Hook, iceman. That's the toughest thing about having these furry companions, but I suppose what we gain from them makes it all worth it.
    Having them leave is always really tough. I am not a religious man, but nothing would make me happier than being with all my dogs again at the end of my time here.
    Really sorry about your loss Austin. That tribute made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I'm sorry guys

My 11yo mutt is still looking good, just needs a mommy, if only for a couple years.

Name:	20200115_153604.jpeg 
Views:	56 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	312045
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Sorry Ice and Austin. +++VIBES+++ sent
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Name:	IMG_0972.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	315869
    or two

Austin - sorry, my friend. She couldn't have hoped for better "hoomans". Forrest - same to you and Loki. Ice - vibes...

Tough seeing this thread every time it surfaces, but it also makes me remember which is an awesome thing. Salomon's passing is coming up on 2 years now, and it still hurts every time I think of him, but not always in a bad way.

We have our little mutt Chloe now, and she's a totally different creature...and I wouldn't want it any other way. Dogs are a gift.
    Gravity. It's the law.

Put our 14 yo Greyhound down last week.
    She had been slowing down for the last few years and was on a few different meds to manage pain, but then a new limp brought a Bone Cancer diagnosis and she just couldnt get comfortable anymore.

A number of y'all met her in NYC when she lived with us in a small 1 br apt. We got her about 10 years ago fresh off the track. She was an amazing apartment dog. Sprinters, not marathoners so burst of energy, then lay around.
    We had some fun at the beach

Name:	Bella OC Beach.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	316453
    but she was at home in the city
    Name:  Princess of HK.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  106.2 KB

She transitioned well to suburban life and helped raise my son. Literally he would use her to help walk & has only known life with her. Its been a tough week but wife, son, and younger greyhound Gracie are getting used to the new normal.

Name:	old B.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	110.4 KB 
ID:	316455
    She will be missed but what a wonderful life she had and we with her.

Thanks B, you were a star.

Sorry to here Austin, Ice and Woodz. All good pups.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

The touching tributes to all of these pups makes my eyes well up. I have a few older dogs and dread the day that is coming.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Tough thread but good one. Dog people, like ski people, are and always will be my tribe. I've met enough of you to know that if you are posting on here then your dog had one hell of an adventure and was lucky to have you as an owner.

Name:	IMG_0516.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	695.3 KB 
ID:	316630
    P-Tex (1998-2010)

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	316632
    Neko (2011-2017)

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.77 MB 
ID:	316633
    Rerun (2011 and still kickin)

+++++vibes++++
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Woodsy, so sorry to hear about your pup, sorry but I don't know her name. Hang in there man.

Hook has had 2 rounds of chemo and he's on prednisone and Denamarin for his liver and I did some research and tried to get him on this turkey tail mushroom extract that he hated and wouldn't go near so I got him on chewables that he tolerates if they're mixed in his food. Who knows if they're having any effect. He's been doing amazing, like a puppy running around, but last night he took a turn and today he's not good. Maybe this shit weather is just depressing him, I know it's taking a toll on me. I probably shouldn't have opened this thread today.

It's just a dog.

Name:	IMG_7413.JPG 
Views:	82 
Size:	512.0 KB 
ID:	319150

Name:	IMG_5418.JPG 
Views:	81 
Size:	697.9 KB 
ID:	319151

Name:	C3412774-D60D-4ECF-BE53-74A43CCF07EC.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	188.5 KB 
ID:	319158

The vet is coming over tomorrow to put her down. We’ve had sixteen great years and I couldn’t have asked for a better dog. I’m going to miss her so much.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by concretejungle; 03-06-2020 at 07:11 PM.

"Bacon too???"

CJ, tough stuff. Looks like she had a great ride!
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Looks like Bacon Day has finally caught Loki; our vet is coming at noon.

Another Best Dog Ever for the Hall of Fame. Thanks for the awesome memories.

Name:	IMG_1950.JPG 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	320235

Sorry, CJ & FC...

This thread always makes me so sad. Sorry for your losses guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Looks like Bacon Day has finally caught Loki; our vet is coming at noon.

Another Best Dog Ever for the Hall of Fame. Thanks for the awesome memories.

Name:	IMG_1950.JPG 
Size:	178.8 KB 
ID:	320235
    Fuck man. Your guy is a dead ringer for ours that we put down last week. Had him for 16 years - he had a good run, but I'm still pretty bummed about it. It was time though.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    This thread always makes me so sad. Sorry for your losses guys.
    Yep.

Sorry to hear about these great dogs passing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Fuck man. Your guy is a dead ringer for ours that we put down last week. Had him for 16 years - he had a good run, but I'm still pretty bummed about it. It was time though.

Dane/lab from Red Lodge? They could be litter mates.