Page 1 of 85 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest

Thumbs up It's just a dog.

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or "That's a lot of money for just a dog."

They don't understand the distance traveled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."

Many hours have passed when my only company was "just a dog", but I did not once feel slighted.

Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.

If you, too, think it's "just a dog", then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend", "just a sunrise", or "just a promise".

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.

Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment.

"Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day. I hope that someday they can understand >that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man."

So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog," just smile, because they "just don't understand."

Read Marley and Me, and you'll understand that dogs are never "just dogs". Great book... make sure you're reading it when your pups are laying in bed next to you and it gets even better.

What a nice, sweet post. Makes me feel better about my Lab mix
    that has torn up my old family room couch, killed my plants, my grass, dug
    holes in my yard. Everyone tells me to get rid of him because he is
    "just a dog".

Thanks you make me feel better... I might just print this. If you don't mind
    me printing this...

best $400 I ever spent was on my "just a dog"

Many clients I work dogs for owe their lives... Literally, to their charges.

I have been involved in situations where "friends" balked, and the only one to stand at my side was "just a dog".

"The more time I spend with people, the more I like my dogs"

This morning, as I was slowly waking up and my wife was getting ready for the day, my 5yo daughter walks in, yawns, and climbs into bed with me. 30 seconds later my 3yo son does the same.

30 seconds after that my 4 footed "daughter" ambles into the room, stretches, yawns, walks to my side of the bed and puts her head on my pillow.

It was a great morning.

Amen to that Tipp... some of my favorite times are lying in bed in the morning with my girlfriend, with our two labs sprawled out next to us. Those guys have a way of making you feel alright.

I ran into another dog owner while I training my dog in an open field. At first I thought one of his dogs was a black lab like mine. Upon a closer view of her head and talking to the owner I found out it was a German Shorthair Pointer. I've never seen a GSP that was completely black before.

Wow! That says it all, BLOODSWEATSTEEL!! I'd do anything for my two golden retrievers. They can totally sense when you're sad, and sit there licking your face until you feel better.
    Go big, or go home!!

Most dogs are less exasperating than people. Think about it:

Has your dog ever asked you for your car keys?

Has your dog ever asked you for a loan?

Has any dog borrowed your tools and then not returned them?

Has your dog ever ignored you when you come home from work? (If so, get a new dog.)

Has your dog ever not thanked you for what you do? (Well, didn’t you see his tail wagging?)

Has your dog ever asked you why you want him to do unnatural things like walk between your legs while you are walking, to stand on his hind legs, to jump through your arms when you hold them like a loop, or to play dead?

Did your dog ever ask you if you wanted him to guard your property?

Dogs are perfect except I have never got one to pay board and room─except by unconditional love.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-We-Lik...ople&id=122988

My dog is a 110lbs of friendship. I would do anything for him. He has always been there for me, and I've always been there for him and I always will be. I was there the day he was conceived (yeah, dog sex!), I was there the day he was born, I was there when he opened his eyes, when he fell into his first lake, and when he took his first powder shots. He'll do anything for me, and I him. I didn't pay a penny for him, but he is worth the world to me.

A friend of mine recently had to have knee surgury on both hind legs on his dog. $4k. I wouldn't even consider not doing it. Its a shit load of money, but there is no alternative in my mind.

I don't understand those that attach such little importance to friendship. To make the statement, "its just a dog" is to allow abuse and neglect on one who is completely dependant upon you. I'm not a cat person, but that means that I don't fuck with them or abuse them. I just don't want to be friends with one. On that note, who likes cats, they're pretty selfish.

When you decide to take on the responsibility of taking care of a dog, that means that you are responsible for their well being. What ever that entails.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    "The man was stretched on the pavement brutishly drunk and dead to the world. The dog, lying by his side, seemed to look at me with sad, imploring eyes. Though all the world despised that man, I thought, this poor brute loves him and will be faithful to death." - Robert Service

In addition to Marley and Me, In the company of Newfies a shared life by Rhoda Lerman is a great read
    There are few things in life that are truly unconditional like the love of a dog.
    Just a pair of skis
    Just a car
    Just a house
    but it so aint just a dog
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

BLOODSWEATSTEEL Guest
    Thanks for the recommendation Lloyd. I just ordered it.

Cool thread.

Minus the dog sex.

You can't ever say "just a dog," unless you've never had the experience of having one. Dogs worm their way into your hearts to the point they are family. Well, there ARE those loser people that dump their dogs in kill shelters when the dog is 'inconvenient' - those people are missing out on one of life's greatest experiences. I.e. our dogger came to us that route, lucky him and lucky us.
    This touchy-feely Kumbaya shit has got to go.

Quote Originally Posted by BLOODSWEATSTEEL
    Thanks for the recommendation Lloyd. I just ordered it.
    If you've got a few minutes (and I'm sure most of us do since we're on this site all the time), check out the website after you read the book- marleyandme.com. I'll never admit to almost welling up at work after reading some of those dog stories.

The more people I meet the more I like my dogs!

Q. Why did the dyslexic agnostic develop insomnia?

A. By staying up all night pondering the existence of dog.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Norm. 15 in a month. Got him Freshmen yr in college. Best damn friend I ever had. To Norm!!
    Last edited by Cono Este; 01-11-2007 at 05:33 PM.

In Nov., I had to put Chelsea, my 14 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever, down. THere has not been one day that I have not prayed for her, talked to her, or not imagined myself petting her. I spend at least a few minutes each day thinking of her, and remembering the things she loved to do.
    RIP, lost friend.
    Last edited by schindlerpiste; 03-30-2006 at 08:24 PM.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

My last dog, Zeke was a lab/newfie mix, 135 lbs. of pure love and joy. I haven't had a dog since. It hurt so bad when I had to put him down that I decided I wouldn't have another dog until I was old enough that he/she would likely outlive me. They're like your own kids only better behaved and more loving. It's been almost 20 years now and I still think about him every day.

The only time 'just the dog' is a good line is when you need a cover for your bad burritos.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Christmas
    Read Marley and Me, and you'll understand that dogs are never "just dogs". Great book... make sure you're reading it when your pups are laying in bed next to you and it gets even better.
    Wierd, that book has been sitting on my kitchen table for about a week, no idea were it came from, I keep meaning to ask my wife about it. Guess maybe I'll read it.

Now about "just a dog" My old mutt, who cant climb the stairs to the loft we sleep in anymore decided he really wanted to sleep with daddy at 4 this morning, guess he's lonely since mommas out of town. So "just a man" goes down and carries his ass up to bed where "just a dog" goes about keeping "just a man" up till 5 cause he needs attention, heh mutts.

oh yeah, my "just a dog" is a aussie/border collie mix, best damn animal ever. I like that sensation of being herded.
    .....Visit my website. .....

"a yin without a yang"

This thread (and dogs) make me happy.